Resident/Medical Student Strike in Opposition to the Affordable Care Act

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmizrahi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please carefully read the following:

I’m currently an intern in Philadelphia and I’ve been following recent governmental policy healthcare changes. There are a lot of myths and misinformation contained in articles and blogs regarding the Affordable Care Act, however I’ve taken the time to painstakingly review the FTC’s documents regarding the Affordable Care Act as well as portions of the actual Affordable Care Act.

I will clearly state that the main objective of presenting this issue is NOT to ignite a political discussion nor endorse a particular candidate for the upcoming elections.

More so I am attempting to gauge the national and local interests in a medical student and resident strike to attempt to give physicians as a whole a voice in national health care policy, raise awareness regarding physician responsibilities, costs of training, tort reform and most importantly patient care and maintenance of the patient doctor relationship.

Should there be regional and widespread interest in the matter, I present that we form a democratic organization insofar that our mission is to define goals that we would organize and strike for that align with the following themes: our primary goal is not for higher salaries or better reimbursements but our primary initiative is to provide better high quality patient care.

We would object to the following items held within the Affordable Care Act:

1. The statute in affect already that penalizes hospitals by 1% for readmissions.
2. The creation of a model which reimburses or pays for outcomes rather than activity. (I.e. reimbursements ONLY for a patient having a HbA1C < 8.0% in a DM patient, how are noncompliant patients dealt with?)
3. Disproportionate costs of Medical/Undergraduate Education in parallel to resident and physician salaries.
4. Profit sharing from other specialties to primary care. Under new medicare laws radiology and radiation oncology will be allocating 4% and 15% respectively to IM and geriatricians.

Goals:

1. Include some level of tort reform or discussion of malpractice in the affordable care act.
2. Present a model that allows for lower interest loan repayment for medical students and/or lowering the cost of education overall.
3. Present the key idea that individual social irresponsibility regarding ones health and lifestyle choices should not result in penalizing physicians and that physicians cannot account for non-compliance, that every human has the right to being alive, but feeling well is a privilege and we should have a system that enforces this theme.

EDITORIAL PORTION:

Sure, we have the AMA – but they’ve done a poor job representing physicians and they only represent a small percentage of physicians. Not to mention allegations that they have a constant revenue stream from medicare for their coding model. Unfortunately, corporate anti-trust laws prevent physicians from unionizing. Unfortunately, a resident strike on a large scale could lead to a serious social collapse and do the very thing we as physicians have taken an oath to and morally/ethically wish to prevent which are patient deaths or poor outcomes. Thus I’m posting for ideas for enacting social change before resorting to a full blown strike.

Based on statistics we are approaching a physician shortage of ~ 100K doctors by 2020. Couple this to 20 million new medicare patients out of 47 million new patients being pushed into the health system and a campaign to make hospitals more transparent, with a model that pays medicare providers (doctors) and hospitals based on outcomes rather than activity will lead to higher volumes of patients (more work) without an increase in pay. I predict that the volume will be dealt with by employing more nurse practitioners and PA’s, unfortunately this will lead to less interaction between the supervising physicians and the patients ultimately leading to a decrease in the quality of care. By increasing transparency in the medical system we will further stratify patients based on socioeconomic status. For example, if hospital A has a higher mortality rate/complication rate regarding MI and sepsis in relation to hospital B, patients with higher socioeconomic statuses and educational statuses will ultimately choose hospital B – leaving lowering income patients with tougher socioeconomic dispositions to hospital A. This example also applies to surgeons who would ultimately choose to operate on patients with less co-morbities because it would show better outcomes.

Members don't see this ad.

It is illegal for doctors to strike.

According to antitrust laws it is illegal for independent physicians to strike because they're considered contractors and they could theoretically "price-fix" for services. However, in terms of labor legality residents are more of a grey area and actually in public hospitals are allowed to legally unionize.

As I wrote, I'd like to prevent a full on social collapse, but physicians are being taken advantage of and more so lacking a voice in public policy to the point that things are getting desperate. Even in the face of legality if a collective gets together, albeit illegal - a strike might have to happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you actually pre-medical, or have you just not changed your title?

No, I'm an intern (PGY-1) in philadelphia, I graduated medical school already. I'm interested in starting a grassroots movement. I think the mainstay is the new incoming generation of doctors.

Dude are you stupid? How exactly would students strike?

"Yeah I'm not gonna go to school today! Or this year! Yeah take that you better listen to us now. Oh wait if I get kicked out of school because I fail every test because of my strike then my loans are gonna be in repayment and I'll have no job? Oh whoops I meant to say I love going to class."

Not to mention the fact that if there was a resident strike that would be turned on you so fast your head would spin. It'll take about two seconds for every newspaper in the world to write about how you're actively basically killing people by striking "for the patients".

Last edited:
How are you proposing that medical students and residents strike? Especially, given that medical students are reliant on grades which will no doubt be adversely affected, unless there is implicit approval from the administrators of their programs so they won't be given poor marks?

The idea is good in theory, I suppose, but given the self-serving and narrow-focused nature of most medical students, I think getting it off the ground will be difficult.

Please carefully read the following
1. The statute in affect already that penalizes hospitals by 1% for readmissions.
2. The creation of a model which reimburses or pays for outcomes rather than activity. (I.e. reimbursements ONLY for a patient having a HbA1C < 8.0% in a DM patient, how are noncompliant patients dealt with?)

You really think this will gain much support? People want doctors to cure them. They don't want to be paying for unnecessary procedures.

3. Disproportionate costs of Medical/Undergraduate Education in parallel to resident and physician salaries.

What does this have to do with the ACA? Yes, med school is too expensive, but so is pretty much every higher ed program. If you want to reform education costs or student loans, you need to enlist the millions of grads drowning in debt who (unlike doctors) have very little chance of every paying it off

4. Profit sharing from other specialties to primary care. Under new medicare laws radiology and radiation oncology will be allocating 4% and 15% respectively to IM and geriatricians.

I can see that this change would annoy radiology residents, but why would anyone else oppose it? (Especially med students, who are much more likely to go into primary care than radiology.)

You really think this will gain much support? People want doctors to cure them. They don't want to be paying for unnecessary procedures.

No procedures are "unnecessary," doctors need to do them to avoid losing frivolous malpractice suits. With a country as lawsuit-happy as America, that's how it works. Deal with it.

Except Obama and his lawyer buddies want to make it less reasonable to practice defensive medicine. This means bad things for everyone...

I like the idea of organizing to represent medical student and medical resident interests. Strongly dislike the idea of even threatening to strike because it ruins our credibility. I wouldn't have even mentioned it in your OP.

Start an American Medical Resident Association??? Could be a good idea. Apparently AMA has a residency/fellow association. But I haven't heard boo about them since starting in the field.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...n-Resident-and-Fellow-Section/114610881923978

Salient points:
1. Tort reform to prevent frivolous law suits.
2. Increase the total number of residency slots.
3. Decrease cost of undergraduate/medical school or decrease associated loan interest rates.
4. Increase primary care compensation, or sponsor more primary care loan forgiveness payback programs.
5. Protect the medical field from infringement by lesser educated providers.

no matter your politics striking will get you no where.

1. Doctors are not in a union (which is a good thing). Go ahead and try and get people to strike with you. If you strike and others don't then your patients will just leave you. Plenty of doctors don't like the act yet they continue to work because this is their job and if they don't work they'll have no income. As a med student if you play with fire you will get burned. Best to just remain low.

2. There is a reason we have elections. If you want the act repealed then vote for Romney.

In the end I suggest not outwardly advocating politics in the workplace as you are almost guaranteed to make half the people you know angry. Just keep it to yourself. If people want civil discussion that is fine. Otherwise advocating for a strike because you don't like the law will only ostracize you and in fact may backfire turning people who might agree otherwise agree with you turn away. This goes for all political spectrums.

some history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_Doctors'_Strike
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/04/n...r-union-recognition-at-hospital-in-bronx.html (residents are now considered employees, FYI)

Re your objections:

1. The statute in affect already that penalizes hospitals by 1% for readmissions. -- this seems like a good item.. PCPs might actually get d/c notes and hospital might actually try to get f/u for pts
2. The creation of a model which reimburses or pays for outcomes rather than activity. (I.e. reimbursements ONLY for a patient having a HbA1C < 8.0% in a DM patient, how are noncompliant patients dealt with?) bio markers matter, (wo)man up
3. Disproportionate costs of Medical/Undergraduate Education in parallel to resident and physician salaries. i agree, it sucks
4. Profit sharing from other specialties to primary care. Under new medicare laws radiology and radiation oncology will be allocating 4% and 15% respectively to IM and geriatricians. um, it isn't "profit sharing" but rather adjusting what they pay for certain services

Status
Not open for further replies.