Resident Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sloow

MedJunkie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on resources to get ready for Residency/during Residency?

Recently decided to listen to some EMRAP but a lot of the podcasts are on pretty random stuff, not to mention there is a sub fee.

I already listened to EMBasic a while ago, are there any good podcasts/online resources to start ramping up my differential list/ED Pathophys???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recommendations on resources to get ready for Residency/during Residency?

Recently decided to listen to some EMRAP but a lot of the podcasts are on pretty random stuff, not to mention there is a sub fee.

I already listened to EMBasic a while ago, are there any good podcasts/online resources to start ramping up my differential list/ED Pathophys???

Pay EMRA or AAEM for student membership, get em:rap for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing I like more than some useful atucf

Was wondering the same. I planned to finish reading The ICU Book by Marino, and start reading Tintinalli, but I wonder if there's a better approach. Podcasts and FOAM are cool, and I love listening/reading them, but I feel in general they discuss topics that are for the more seasoned resident/attending. I can definitely follow them, but for someone starting out I think they are a bit nuanced to use as a foundation. EMBasic is probably the exception to this.

Was wondering the same. I planned to finish reading The ICU Book by Marino, and start reading Tintinalli, but I wonder if there's a better approach. Podcasts and FOAM are cool, and I love listening/reading them, but I feel in general they discuss topics that are for the more seasoned resident/attending. I can definitely follow them, but for someone starting out I think they are a bit nuanced to use as a foundation. EMBasic is probably the exception to this.

The early EM Crit episodes covered more core content.

For quick stuff on-****, like "oh crap what is the dosing of that drug" or "is there anything else I need to add on to this work-up," I like wikem.org. I found it super helpful as an intern, find myself using it less and less the more I learn, but still reference it occasionally.

I think the first 6 months of residency should be you trying to figure out how to be a resident. There's more to being a resident than having a book memorized or being up to date on the PROPPR trial. You have three years to figure out how to manage patients by yourself, so you should start with simply trying to survive and do a good job on each of your patients. You'll spend the first month alone figuring out where stuff is and how to interact with the nurses now that you're an intern.

That's my 2-cents as a PGY2.

You only have three (or four) very short years...

Several of the podcasts and blogs cover core content, along with cutting edge and not ready for prime time.

Pick books you like and read them. Mattu ECG, Bouncebacks, maybe even a textbook, whatever. Just read something for at least a few minutes most days.

Lauren and Jeremy do a pretty good job at foamcast.org. They specifically wanted to step away from the critical care madness that exists on most FOAMed podcasts. I mean, you can only hear about ECMO so many times before you really get annoyed about a modality that doesn't exist at your shop.