Resident Salary & Taxes

Started by Darlene
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Darlene

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed that salary is rarely talked about during interviews and I feel awkward asking residents so I wanted to ask here.

After taxes, how much do pgy1's take home? Especially in places like nyc/la/miami/oregon/chicago et cetera.

Some programs pay a pittance...

thanks guys.
 
I noticed that salary is rarely talked about during interviews and I feel awkward asking residents so I wanted to ask here.

After taxes, how much do pgy1's take home? Especially in places like nyc/la/miami/oregon/chicago et cetera.

Some programs pay a pittance...

thanks guys.

You can find a rough guide to the salary at a program on their website. Then go here and plug in the appropriate numbers to get a vague idea of what you're dealing with on the take-home front.

Also, as an Oregon resident, it cracks me up that you included Oregon with all those other places.

Finally...it's certainly awkward, but not outside the realm of couth to discuss this with residents at lunch or dinner the night before (although you could be more subtle about it and ask where they live in town, rent vs own, house/apt/condo, roommate/spouse and get a good idea of their take home pay). If you ask an actual interviewer (even if it's a resident) this question however, your photo will probably go on the "D-Bag Dartboard" that every program keeps somewhere.
 
You can find a rough guide to the salary at a program on their website. Then go here and plug in the appropriate numbers to get a vague idea of what you're dealing with on the take-home front.

Also, as an Oregon resident, it cracks me up that you included Oregon with all those other places.

Finally...it's certainly awkward, but not outside the realm of couth to discuss this with residents at lunch or dinner the night before (although you could be more subtle about it and ask where they live in town, rent vs own, house/apt/condo, roommate/spouse and get a good idea of their take home pay). If you ask an actual interviewer (even if it's a resident) this question however, your photo will probably go on the "D-Bag Dartboard" that every program keeps somewhere.


why does it crack you up...portland is pricey!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed that salary is rarely talked about during interviews and I feel awkward asking residents so I wanted to ask here.

After taxes, how much do pgy1's take home? Especially in places like nyc/la/miami/oregon/chicago et cetera.

Some programs pay a pittance...

thanks guys.

I'm PGY-3 IM and take home just over $3000/month after taxes/insurance, it was about $2800 as PGY-1. However our current PGY-1's make about 2500/yr more than I did so probably clear closer to $3000. This is in the midwest, in what I believe to be the least expensive, non-crappy city in the country 😉

You may want to consider breaking out of your comfort zone and consider some cities in the midwest and south where your dollar goes muuuuuuuuch further. My husband is also a resident so our combined salary is just over $100k/yr and we live like kings - we own a house, we travel every chance we get, we eat out A LOT, we have many hobbies in which we indulge, we are paying the FULL payment on our loans (not income-based) and are still managing to save well over 10% of our salaries. Remember, NYC and Miami may have a lot to offer, but can you actually afford to do any of it on your resident salary after you pay your $1200+ rent payment?
 
I'm PGY-3 IM and take home just over $3000/month after taxes/insurance, it was about $2800 as PGY-1. However our current PGY-1's make about 2500/yr more than I did so probably clear closer to $3000. This is in the midwest, in what I believe to be the least expensive, non-crappy city in the country 😉

You may want to consider breaking out of your comfort zone and consider some cities in the midwest and south where your dollar goes muuuuuuuuch further. My husband is also a resident so our combined salary is just over $100k/yr and we live like kings - we own a house, we travel every chance we get, we eat out A LOT, we have many hobbies in which we indulge, we are paying the FULL payment on our loans (not income-based) and are still managing to save well over 10% of our salaries. Remember, NYC and Miami may have a lot to offer, but can you actually afford to do any of it on your resident salary after you pay your $1200+ rent payment?
Listen up all you folks who are dying to do your residency in Manhattan. Expect to pay around $2000 in rent and utilities, and expect to have little money.
 
I'm PGY-3 IM and take home just over $3000/month after taxes/insurance, it was about $2800 as PGY-1. However our current PGY-1's make about 2500/yr more than I did so probably clear closer to $3000. This is in the midwest, in what I believe to be the least expensive, non-crappy city in the country 😉

You may want to consider breaking out of your comfort zone and consider some cities in the midwest and south where your dollar goes muuuuuuuuch further. My husband is also a resident so our combined salary is just over $100k/yr and we live like kings - we own a house, we travel every chance we get, we eat out A LOT, we have many hobbies in which we indulge, we are paying the FULL payment on our loans (not income-based) and are still managing to save well over 10% of our salaries. Remember, NYC and Miami may have a lot to offer, but can you actually afford to do any of it on your resident salary after you pay your $1200+ rent payment?

akh.. I dislike you. just a little bit 🙂
 
My wife and I did residency in the Bay Area and it was no problem to live well on a residents salary. I think that a big part of this was shared housing. Our big 2br house was 2800 but we split between the two of us making it easily doable. The only people i have seen in our program who run into trouble are those living on their own that have expensive habits or bad money management. I went out a ton, spent on travel and outdoor stuff and had a great time. all in all shouldn't be a deal breaker when considering residency programs in major cities

I would say that QOL depends on what you want. Some people couldn't be happier crammed into a studio in lower manhattan and going out to enjoy new york. Others would find this horrible and love to live in their big spreads in suburban areas or smaller cities.

The area where you start to see real discrepancy in salary while in training programs is in fellowship. I only know about cardiology but a cleveland clinic fellow or Pittsburgh fellow gets roughly 2X what you would make at UCSF, Duke, BWH, etc. At least at Pittsburgh, I know this is related to getting paid per procedure, EKG read, consult,etc while on call. Totally changes the incentives and makes those calls from the ER a little less horrible. awesome if you end up at one of those places but they are the exception. Most places just PGY4 to start...