Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Resident work hours

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by kiernin, Nov 16, 2005.

1. kiernin

kiernin Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a second year who hadn't thought about ophtho much before but is beginning to get interested. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much optho residents typically work and what the call schedule is like? Thanks a lot.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  4. Redhawk

Redhawk Fellow
    7+ Year Member

I'm a pgy-2. I'd say I average about 10 hours a day (8-6), so that's 50 hours a week in clinic. We're on call q6 with every 7th week off, so that adds another 14 hours if it's a weekday call or 24 hours if it's a weekend call. We're in house call for the first 6 months as it is a very busy urban based residency. I guess that makes it anywhere from 50 to 74 hours a week, with the average being in the low to mid 60's. However when you consider the fact that I read about 2 hours a day on any given weekday, and about 6-8 hours on any given weekend day, it goes up significantly, but I don't think most people devote that much time to reading.

No matter what, even at the most stressful times, it's WAY better than being on medicine floors during my intern year.

5. victorkomd

victorkomd Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

A better question would be comparing the hours of an ophthalmology attending to a general surgeon or internist or radiologist.

6. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    That is not true. There can be a lot of down time during the day in other specialties. I was much busier in my first year or ophthalmology than in my medicine internship.

7. JR

JR Guest

I second that; there is definitely no downtime in the busy ophtho clinic. If this is covered by night call, it can get pretty exhausting...