Residents lied about me in evaluations and reported me to the dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty much exactly my situation. Sometimes it be like that but I'll do my best to be a better teacher than they were to me I guess

I think part of climbing the mountain is reflecting on how hard each step taken was and what it took to know how to go forward. That's what education should be about. No part of that is making someone feel like they should turn around. That's their decision and theirs alone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OP you’ve gotten a diverse range of advice from many of whom have suffered just like you and gained insight. Accept some degree of responsibility and make permanent changes. It will save you a lot of grief down the road.

A lot of people including myself have gone down rabbit holes and tried to make overarching arguments about how people/the culture medicine is flawed and people are insincere. I don’t doubt for one second that a good deal of what was said about you was stretched, twisted, or fabricated. The fact is no one cares and no one is going to Judge Judy this crap in your favor. Admin’s not going to be happy if you are even 1% defensive about this whole thing.

The only question that matters is why the residents felt the need to do this to you? You clearly wound one or more people up. You need to learn to exert more soft power. Exerting soft power is not mutually exclusive with being a competent physician. Utilizing that soft power only exponentially increases your chances of success as a component physician so if you want to be successful do the following:

1.) Make more eye contact. As a human you’re evolved to be able to sense things about others subconsciously so don’t deprive yourself of that innate ability.
2.) Accept all help provided. You seem like someone who is competitive or at least competent and you may sometimes feel like some things are straight forward to where you got it. Look out for situations where people even try to subtly provide help and always take them when you’re lower on the ladder. Because of my past mistakes, I have unfortunately been in settings where I have more experience than others trying to help me. Just accept the help and see what methods others use. You may learn something you didn’t know before. Even if you don’t, don’t give off the message to others that you think you’re better than them. That’s one surefire way to piss people off. Let them figure it out when they’re off and you write a decent note.
3.) Being laid back can be good in many settings but in a highly stressful work setting, you need to learn to mirror your surroundings. Residents inevitably judge medical students by how they work relative to them. If you’re laid back and not working, you’re going to stick out in a bad way even if you’re doing nothing more than your colleagues because maybe your colleagues are at least trying to do work/etc.
4.) Get involved in patient care. Often as a medical student it’s hard because you’re not holding the pager and don’t know all the tips or tricks in the EMR. A lot of medical students resort to doing UW CK on their laptops or whatever. The fact of the matter though is as a student, you’re off for enough time that you have plenty of time to do that after work and banging a few out during Medicine wards isn’t worth it unless everyone’s been asked to and everyone is doing it. Going through everyone’s chart a second time after rounds OR stopping by the your patient’s rooms after rounds and gleaning a few things and sharing them with your residents is a pretty high yield way to know more about your patients and learn more about medicine. Choose the one that your resident is doing less of (which is usually going into patient rooms after rounds). When you do this, you’ll find you may be able to share a few things the residents will find helpful.
5. Work doesn’t end after you present. After you present, listen to what the attendings tell residents to do and if there’s something basic you can do like call pharmacy and talk to the patient about insulin, offer to do it. It will save the resident time and allow them to focus on other things while it will give you more patient care experience.

In terms of the residents you’ve upset, I would address a few residents. You may know or have a suspicion for who wrote this about you, but I would just unassumingly talk to the senior resident and 1-2 interns in private and just say that you were made aware of some negative feedback that caught you off guard and that you’re actively looking for ways to improve and be more involved in patient care and then do #1-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This happens all the time. Medicine is full of sociopaths. Your story is not uncommon at all. Problem is that the same residents that made-up lies about you are the same ones that will climb the pseudo-academic medicine ladder and will end up as "Assistant Program Director" or "Vice Service Line Chief" or junior deans and will perpetuate the nonsense. I had a co-rotating student my M3 year. Nice guy. Was planning to do EM. Was not overly interested in Peds but did his best. Did not suck-up to the residents like half of all M3s do. Well his senior Peds resident simply could not tolerate that his eyes did not light-up every time she asked him to see a kid with the sniffles. She conspired with other co-residents and they wrote awful reviews for this M3. I worked with him daily and he was objectively average to above average. The reviews were so bad that he almost failed the rotation despite a good shelf exam and otherwise good performance.

People in medicine are miserable, especially during residency, and they are unfortunately the kind of people where misery demands company.

I feel like this is the exact scenario for me.
I think I was being compared to the other medical student with me. His dream is to do IM, I suppose I did not enjoy it as much. He was very chatty, bought everyone cookies, asked for letters of recommendations, etc etc.

In IM for me, it was mostly just waiting around and checking on patients that someone else mostly figured out what was wrong with them (the fun part). I did enjoy talking to the patients and that is the part I am good at. Patients love me… But I suppose I have to be careful around other “doctors”.

This is the real question for me.

If you are getting feedback like this from other rotations, or even multiple people on this rotation, then you need to do some self reflection. There probably are some things that you aren't aware of that you need to work on. That's ok, that's part of the process of becoming a doctor.

If this review is an outlier, then **** 'em. Don't give them a second thought. You won't get along with everyone and that is ok. A single bad eval will not hurt your chances.

This was the only rotation out of, 6 at the time. All 5 of the others were “good” or “great”. Just did my last one and it was perfect.

Of course if I was doing bad on all evals then, yeah it is on me.

OP you’ve gotten a diverse range of advice from many of whom have suffered just like you and gained insight. Accept some degree of responsibility and make permanent changes. It will save you a lot of grief down the road.

A lot of people including myself have gone down rabbit holes and tried to make overarching arguments about how people/the culture medicine is flawed and people are insincere. I don’t doubt for one second that a good deal of what was said about you was stretched, twisted, or fabricated. The fact is no one cares and no one is going to Judge Judy this crap in your favor. Admin’s not going to be happy if you are even 1% defensive about this whole thing.

The only question that matters is why the residents felt the need to do this to you? You clearly wound one or more people up. You need to learn to exert more soft power. Exerting soft power is not mutually exclusive with being a competent physician. Utilizing that soft power only exponentially increases your chances of success as a component physician so if you want to be successful do the following:

1.) Make more eye contact. As a human you’re evolved to be able to sense things about others subconsciously so don’t deprive yourself of that innate ability.
2.) Accept all help provided. You seem like someone who is competitive or at least competent and you may sometimes feel like some things are straight forward to where you got it. Look out for situations where people even try to subtly provide help and always take them when you’re lower on the ladder. Because of my past mistakes, I have unfortunately been in settings where I have more experience than others trying to help me. Just accept the help and see what methods others use. You may learn something you didn’t know before. Even if you don’t, don’t give off the message to others that you think you’re better than them. That’s one surefire way to piss people off. Let them figure it out when they’re off and you write a decent note.
3.) Being laid back can be good in many settings but in a highly stressful work setting, you need to learn to mirror your surroundings. Residents inevitably judge medical students by how they work relative to them. If you’re laid back and not working, you’re going to stick out in a bad way even if you’re doing nothing more than your colleagues because maybe your colleagues are at least trying to do work/etc.
4.) Get involved in patient care. Often as a medical student it’s hard because you’re not holding the pager and don’t know all the tips or tricks in the EMR. A lot of medical students resort to doing UW CK on their laptops or whatever. The fact of the matter though is as a student, you’re off for enough time that you have plenty of time to do that after work and banging a few out during Medicine wards isn’t worth it unless everyone’s been asked to and everyone is doing it. Going through everyone’s chart a second time after rounds OR stopping by the your patient’s rooms after rounds and gleaning a few things and sharing them with your residents is a pretty high yield way to know more about your patients and learn more about medicine. Choose the one that your resident is doing less of (which is usually going into patient rooms after rounds). When you do this, you’ll find you may be able to share a few things the residents will find helpful.
5. Work doesn’t end after you present. After you present, listen to what the attendings tell residents to do and if there’s something basic you can do like call pharmacy and talk to the patient about insulin, offer to do it. It will save the resident time and allow them to focus on other things while it will give you more patient care experience.

In terms of the residents you’ve upset, I would address a few residents. You may know or have a suspicion for who wrote this about you, but I would just unassumingly talk to the senior resident and 1-2 interns in private and just say that you were made aware of some negative feedback that caught you off guard and that you’re actively looking for ways to improve and be more involved in patient care and then do #1-5.

Thank you. I know who wrote it. It was a minority of the rotation where there are many residents.

Update:
Thank you all for the advice. I went away for a while to destroy my next rotation and I believe I did. Should have no problems there.

A few point to hit:
1. This is my only bad evaluation.
2. It was not the entire residency that had this problem with me, it was 2-3 of them (out of dozens?). No attendings. And a couple of the residents seem to be friends or regularly talk to my dean, so they have the dean’s trust I suppose.
3. Reflecting back, it seems like it was mostly a personality conflict. They did not like how “uninterested” I seemed and how I acted. But you cannot just say that and get much of a reaction, you have to back it up with evidence/examples. So they got the one time I asked to leave (10 min) early and made up other things to sell this story about me.

Overall it is just a learning experience. All of my other rotations have been very chill. If anyone has a problem with me or what I do, they just talk to me, but that is rare that someone has a problem (and never a big problem).
The complaint against me was of some residents I was with in the first week. Every other week was fine. My best week was my last week and I was with completely different people.

I get along very well with patients, I have never had a patient dislike me or something. Many say positive things about me if they get a chance.
I am a very confident person. I believe that can come across as arrogance sometimes. I think that may be something they didn’t like… either way… like someone else said, their 1 bad eval is not going to do much. If it is even bad. It still has not been done a month later. I’m not sure if the residents I was good with or bad with write it. I’ll try to update when it comes out, but it should be fine.

This whole ordeal has pretty much made me not care for the admins of my school/makes me want to distance myself from my school as much as possible when I graduate. They took what a couple residents said at face value and did not even care about my perspective, it seems. Basically I’m guilty if accused. However it may be difficult for them to understand why this eval is on a island. I think they were thinking everyone else has not really evaluated me and this was my first “real eval”. Otherwise not sure why the fuss.

Anyway thanks for the tips because I definitely thought medicine was a more friendly environment than this. I assume it is usually but not always.

I feel like this is the exact scenario for me.
I think I was being compared to the other medical student with me. His dream is to do IM, I suppose I did not enjoy it as much. He was very chatty, bought everyone cookies, asked for letters of recommendations, etc etc.

In IM for me, it was mostly just waiting around and checking on patients that someone else mostly figured out what was wrong with them (the fun part). I did enjoy talking to the patients and that is the part I am good at. Patients love me… But I suppose I have to be careful around other “doctors”.

You should do this in your rotations (bar the cookie part0.

Update:
Thank you all for the advice. I went away for a while to destroy my next rotation and I believe I did. Should have no problems there.

A few point to hit:
1. This is my only bad evaluation.
2. It was not the entire residency that had this problem with me, it was 2-3 of them (out of dozens?). No attendings. And a couple of the residents seem to be friends or regularly talk to my dean, so they have the dean’s trust I suppose.
3. Reflecting back, it seems like it was mostly a personality conflict. They did not like how “uninterested” I seemed and how I acted. But you cannot just say that and get much of a reaction, you have to back it up with evidence/examples. So they got the one time I asked to leave (10 min) early and made up other things to sell this story about me.

Overall it is just a learning experience. All of my other rotations have been very chill. If anyone has a problem with me or what I do, they just talk to me, but that is rare that someone has a problem (and never a big problem).
The complaint against me was of some residents I was with in the first week. Every other week was fine. My best week was my last week and I was with completely different people.

I get along very well with patients, I have never had a patient dislike me or something. Many say positive things about me if they get a chance.
I am a very confident person. I believe that can come across as arrogance sometimes. I think that may be something they didn’t like… either way… like someone else said, their 1 bad eval is not going to do much. If it is even bad. It still has not been done a month later. I’m not sure if the residents I was good with or bad with write it. I’ll try to update when it comes out, but it should be fine.

This whole ordeal has pretty much made me not care for the admins of my school/makes me want to distance myself from my school as much as possible when I graduate. They took what a couple residents said at face value and did not even care about my perspective, it seems. Basically I’m guilty if accused. However it may be difficult for them to understand why this eval is on a island. I think they were thinking everyone else has not really evaluated me and this was my first “real eval”. Otherwise not sure why the fuss.

Anyway thanks for the tips because I definitely thought medicine was a more friendly environment than this. I assume it is usually but not always.
Hopefully you learnt your lesson.

UPDATE:
So a month ago I got an evaluation from one of the preceptors I worked with and it was great, given an above-average report. No problems.
A few days ago a different doctor, that I never worked with, that I assume wrote the evaluation on behalf of the couple of residents that had issues with me, wrote probably the worst possible evaluation anyone can ever be given. Of course, it is about the same falsehoods the residents at the beginning of this said. The residents (I think it is just 2 out of like 20) that I had trouble with were around for 1 week, the other 3 weeks I was with other people that had no issues with me.
So now it is confusing, why do I have two evaluations?

What do I do if they just choose the bad evaluation? The person that wrote the bad evaluation has never spoken to me before. I'm kinda surprised that they would feel confident writing an evaluation about a student they never actually worked with.

Do people typically get more than one evaluation sometimes for a block?

And looking back at your feedback, I did all the things and was basically the perfect student after that first week, but it was like I did something or said something to make someone mad and they just decided to fail me no matter what after that (they were gone after week one, so they never saw me again). I imagine it would be confusing to be with the people that I had no issues with, which was nearly everyone, and hear what they are saying on the bad evaluation and think, well I never saw this, but if he did that then yeah he is not good. But considering it is pretty much all lies to make me look bad to justify the bad evaluation, not much I can do. If they just talk to the preceptors that I actually worked with, it should get resolved easily.

Last edited:
Talk to your Student Affairs Dean.
Yes of course, but it seems they will just pick one and I have to deal with it. If they choose the bad evaluation then I lose all of my step2/level2 study time and have to remediate it. Considering Step1/level1 is pass/fail, that could be a disaster that decides my entire future. All because a couple residents just didn't like me.
Maybe at the worst case they can just average them and I pass, barely.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of us has the answer to your query.
Your Student Affairs Dean does.
Yes. I guess I'm the only student to ever have this problem.
It could be a while before they decide what to do. I imagine it would be very confusing to be the dean and have a great evaluation and the worst evaluation possible and know what to do. I've told the dean what I have told you all, I let them know the preceptors I worked with and I assume (hopefully) they are going to talk to them to get this figured out.
It does not seem like the school will pick my side, they seem to by default just trust the rotation site and pretty much not care what I say.

Yes of course, but it seems they will just pick one and I have to deal with it. If they choose the bad evaluation then I lose all of my step2/level2 study time and have to remediate it. Considering Step1/level1 is pass/fail, that could be a disaster that decides my entire future. All because a couple residents just didn't like me.
Maybe at the worst case they can just average them and I pass, barely.
Hey. I know this is nerve wracking. You’ve already said your bit and we have all given our advice about the first step. I don’t think you’re going to get any further advice here for the new issue that’s arisen and it’s best to figure out what your admin thinks and figure it out. After you hear your options, reach out with the new information if you feel it’s a confidential place to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Final update:
They spoke to the doctors I worked with and decided to give me a passing evaluation, however, they will make some comments in regard to what I supposedly did according to that one doctor I never met (not sure what they will say, I guess professionalism problems). I suppose I'll just have to explain those away if anyone asks, but it is just one thing on one evaluation, so shouldn't be a big deal.
Thank you for the advice. If anyone gets in this situation in the future, I recommend finding doctors in the program that you work with, explain to them the situation and hopefully they will help you as they did in my case. I didn't talk to any of the doctors that saved me about this, but they apparently defended me against the bad evaluation.
Now I suppose the moderators are ready for me to stop updating. :)

They spoke to the doctors I worked with and decided to give me a passing evaluation, however, they will make some comments in regard to what I supposedly did according to that one doctor I never met (not sure what they will say, I guess professionalism problems). I suppose I'll just have to explain those away if anyone asks, but it is just one thing on one evaluation, so shouldn't be a big deal.
It might become a big deal if those comments show up on your MSPE. I would figure that out and see what your school's policy is regarding this.

It might become a big deal if those comments show up on your MSPE. I would figure that out and see what your school's policy is regarding this.
I believe my dean reads all the evaluations and forms a letter on each student's behalf or something like this. One person is not going to single-handly ruin my career though.

I believe my dean reads all the evaluations and forms a letter on each student's behalf or something like this. One person is not going to single-handly ruin my career though.

Sounds like the feedback is permanently in your med school file. I wouldn’t continue to fight that in your head or externally. Regardless of the actual truth, no one is going to go down this rabbit hole now and denying that you did something wrong will only make you look like you’re resistant to feedback.

Just one guess is that several like minded residents brought up concerns and felt they needed to be represented so an attending who you did not know served as a sham reporter so that the residents didn’t have to put their names to these comments, because frankly from the other side of things, if I truly think someone did a bad job, I’d still be hesitant to write a pretty negative critique for fear of retribution. I’m not saying that’s what happened or that you deserved the feedback, only trying to provide a possible explanation.

Regarding how this affects residency, it will depend on how it’s reflected in your MSPE known colloquially as the “Dean’s Letter”. Typically it’s not “the Dean” handwriting these. It’s usually some Dean of undergraduate medical education following a highly standardized protocol where they include how you compare to your class while providing snippets from your evaluations. I’d first ask current M4s how exactly the evaluations are translated to narrative comments and the M4s were possibly involved in the editing process (I was). Different schools may have different philosophies to the deans letter. I remember my school scrubbed the dean’s letter clean of any/all even potentially negative feedback for most students whereas other schools may feel obligated to include some but possibly try to soften negative feedback. Once you figure out who’s involved and how the narrative sections are generated, I would just meet or email that person that is responsible for them and tell them you learnt from this experience and provided there are no repeat occurrences, ask them directly if these comments can be discarded from your dean’s letter. Be direct. You won’t know unless you ask. Think about how you phrase this ahead of time.

Also, I repeat OP that a little insight still goes a long way regardless of whether the initial negative reactions were absolutely warranted in the first place.

Last edited:
Sounds like the feedback is permanently in your med school file. I wouldn’t continue to fight that in your head or externally. Regardless of the actual truth, no one is going to go down this rabbit hole now and denying that you did something wrong will only make you look like you’re resistant to feedback.

Just one guess is that several like minded residents brought up concerns and felt they needed to be represented so an attending who you did not know served as a sham reporter so that the residents didn’t have to put their names to these comments, because frankly from the other side of things, if I truly think someone did a bad job, I’d still be hesitant to write a pretty negative critique for fear of retribution. I’m not saying that’s what happened or that you deserved the feedback, only trying to provide a possible explanation.

Regarding how this affects residency, it will depend on how it’s reflected in your MSPE known colloquially as the “Dean’s Letter”. Typically it’s not “the Dean” handwriting these. It’s usually some Dean of undergraduate medical education following a highly standardized protocol where they include how you compare to your class while providing snippets from your evaluations. I’d first ask current M4s how exactly the evaluations are translated to narrative comments and the M4s were possibly involved in the editing process (I was). Different schools may have different philosophies to the deans letter. I remember my school scrubbed the dean’s letter clean of any/all even potentially negative feedback for most students whereas other schools may feel obligated to include some but possibly try to soften negative feedback. Once you figure out who’s involved and how the narrative sections are generated, I would just meet or email that person that is responsible for them and tell them you learnt from this experience and provided there are no repeat occurrences, ask them directly if these comments can be discarded from your dean’s letter. Be direct. You won’t know unless you ask. Think about how you phrase this ahead of time.

Also, I repeat OP that a little insight still goes a long way regardless of whether the initial negative reactions were absolutely warranted in the first place.
I mean it may be true that I didn't appear interested, I cannot really deny that, it is subjective. However, the couple of residents fabricated the feedback to look so bad that it would justify failing a rotation (saying things like, always on his phone, rude to residents, poor medical knowledge, etc. Things that are just false. If they were true, no way I would be passing)
I suppose it depends what they write (basically getting written by several attendings now), may take a while and I'm not going to make an update on it because it doesn't really matter. Either way it is out of my hands. Did I learn a lesson? Yes, never assume everyone around me has good intentions and don't give people any reason to tear me down.
I doubt my school would not do everything they can to ensure I match, especially if all other feedback I get is good from here on out.
And keep in mind, most of the people on this rotation had no issues with me and one attending gave me a very good evaluation, so I think that adds credibility to my explanation.

Last edited:
I mean it may be true that I didn't appear interested, I cannot really deny that, it is subjective. However, the couple of residents fabricated the feedback to look so bad that it would justify failing a rotation (saying things like, always on his phone, rude to residents, poor medical knowledge, etc. Things that are just false. If they were true, no way I would be passing)
I suppose it depends what they write (basically getting written by several attendings now), may take a while and I'm not going to make an update on it because it doesn't really matter. Either way it is out of my hands. Did I learn a lesson? Yes, never assume everyone around me has good intentions and don't give people any reason to tear me down.
I doubt my school would not do everything they can to ensure I match, especially if all other feedback I get is good from here on out.
And keep in mind, most of the people on this rotation had no issues with me and one attending gave me a very good evaluation, so I think that adds credibility to my explanation.

Brah, stop telling us why it wasn't ur fault. Accept u had a part to play in it and do better next time.

Now I suppose the moderators are ready for me to stop updating. :)
The advice you received doesn't have anything to do with moderation, it simply reflects that while we can advise you on how to approach your dean ultimately the resolution always going to simply depend on your school, your school's policies, and your dean's response to the information they were presented with. I am not sure what additional feedback you were hoping to receive.

I am glad for your sake that you have more or less reached a resolution that, on the whole, is positive.

How MSPE's work:

A ton of fluff we ignore (that often you have a hand in writing), then your class rank/grades which we pay attention to. Then you have you clinical grades, but more importantly the comments from the evaluations. At many schools, they have a box for "comments to be included in the MSPE" and "areas of improvement, not included in MSPE" as we usually try to only include good things in the MSPE.

So, you need to ask the question of which comments are going to make it into your MSPE. Good comments in MSPE's are standard, neutral comments are borderline uncommon, and negative comments are very rare. So if you have negative comments, these will get noted and will play a role in whether you get invited for an interview. And then will most likely come up at the interview (unless the remainder of your comments are uniformly positive).

The nature of the comments will play a role in how serious they're taken. If you want to PM me the comments I can let you know how I would interpret them as someone who reviews MSPE's and interviews at an IM program.

Most evaluations I have received as a student or resident include an attestation that the evaluator has worked with you enough to assess your performance adequately. (Or an option for “cannot assess/did not observe” for certain categories) You should never be receiving an evaluation from someone you never met, unless they are someone like a clerkship director whose name goes on an aggregate evaluation summarizing comments from others you actually did work with. An unexpected evaluation from an absolute stranger is 100% grounds to appeal and if your school did not remove that evaluation, I suspect the story may be more complex than described?

How MSPE's work:

A ton of fluff we ignore (that often you have a hand in writing), then your class rank/grades which we pay attention to. Then you have you clinical grades, but more importantly the comments from the evaluations. At many schools, they have a box for "comments to be included in the MSPE" and "areas of improvement, not included in MSPE" as we usually try to only include good things in the MSPE.

So, you need to ask the question of which comments are going to make it into your MSPE. Good comments in MSPE's are standard, neutral comments are borderline uncommon, and negative comments are very rare. So if you have negative comments, these will get noted and will play a role in whether you get invited for an interview. And then will most likely come up at the interview (unless the remainder of your comments are uniformly positive).

The nature of the comments will play a role in how serious they're taken. If you want to PM me the comments I can let you know how I would interpret them as someone who reviews MSPE's and interviews at an IM program.
I may take you up on that when I see what their evaluation is. Thank you. I expect my evaluations to all be good from here on out, so I would be surprised if one comment meant no interviews anywhere for any specialty.

Most evaluations I have received as a student or resident include an attestation that the evaluator has worked with you enough to assess your performance adequately. (Or an option for “cannot assess/did not observe” for certain categories) You should never be receiving an evaluation from someone you never met, unless they are someone like a clerkship director whose name goes on an aggregate evaluation summarizing comments from others you actually did work with. An unexpected evaluation from an absolute stranger is 100% grounds to appeal and if your school did not remove that evaluation, I suspect the story may be more complex than described?
I agree, however, I don't think my school will listen to me. I think it is clear that the bad evaluator was trying to say they did work with me, but in fact, they did not. I speculate that I upset a resident that is friends with the physician. As I have said before, I'm not sure what I did, but I guess it was body language.
I think it is the fact that this person really did not work with me that their evaluation was not accepted as the final evaluation.

Brah, stop telling us why it wasn't ur fault. Accept u had a part to play in it and do better next time.
I think I need to talk to more people in group programs when I am in them (even if I'm not assigned to them). I think the main issue is that I was more reserved, and quiet, so people assumed things. Then tried to support their assumptions with false reports (and possible gossip). I'm not sure why that happened but it is the only thing I can gather from this. As far as my part anyway.

I agree, however, I don't think my school will listen to me. I think it is clear that the bad evaluator was trying to say they did work with me, but in fact, they did not. I speculate that I upset a resident that is friends with the physician. As I have said before, I'm not sure what I did, but I guess it was body language.
I think it is the fact that this person really did not work with me that their evaluation was not accepted as the final evaluation.
Many times the evaluation will be sent to someone and there will be a group discussion then whoever has the email fills it out. Most (if not all) attendings won’t go rogue and buddy up with residents to tell lies. Likely, this person got the eval in their inbox and there was a group discussion during weekly sign out and they took residents input. I don’t doubt the residents trashed you but if the other attendings don’t feel drastically different then I could see them not challenging a residents review since med students get so much more face time with residents than attendings. You’d be surprised how many med students will play nice in front of attendings and then be a horror on the team otherwise. It’s why attendings take residents opinion seriously.