Resign or Fired? In pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stella14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think it will be more difficult to get a pharmacist job if you have to check the fired box on online applications nowadays ? Or should I resign before I get fired? I have 20+ years of experience and have never been fired , but I think with the oversupply of pharmacists that my resume will get weeded out before I could explain to a human what actually happened . I don't want to take unemployment and lie on application bc pharmacy is a small world and you can get fired for lying on your app .
Any experience with this or recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

it all depends on where you are and what other places you will apply too. HR can only verify the dates you said you were employed. its up to you to say you were fired, laid off, etc.

take the unemployment if you can get it........but u wont receive unemployment if you were fired with cause.

pharmacy is saturated for us old timers and no retailer will hire us. doesnt matter if we were awesome or fired for our previous employer. start thinking about career switch, as it may be the best decision you ever made!

honestly, your application looks bad if you were fired in any career, and people overlook online applications, anyway. so you either call them or go in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a commodity, expect to be treated like one. Nothing new under the sun...

Does anyone think it will be more difficult to get a pharmacist job if you have to check the fired box on online applications nowadays ? Or should I resign before I get fired? I have 20+ years of experience and have never been fired , but I think with the oversupply of pharmacists that my resume will get weeded out before I could explain to a human what actually happened . I don't want to take unemployment and lie on application bc pharmacy is a small world and you can get fired for lying on your app .
Any experience with this or recommendations?

You won't have a chance to explain anything...they get hundreds of applicants per job these days....HR will just toss out your app. Resign....tell your interviewers you wanted to spend more time with family...etc.

honestly, your application looks bad if you were fired in any career, and people overlook online applications, anyway. so you either call them or go in person.
No one is going to let you walk in to a hospital pharmacy or hr department to hand in a resume . They will demand you fill out an online application anyway.
Update...
I have applied to 3 positions. One is registry at a hospital I would like to get into full time. I have an interview next week.
I applied for a position not too crazy about, but at a hospital I'd like to work at. Just received an invitation for a freaking digital interview . I have to go through some link so they can have a recorded video of me, it is not even live. Then the hr manager and hiring manager will review it and let me know if there is a next step.
I applied to my dream job at a top ranked university and had a friend give my resume to their manager as well...haven't heard anything yet.
I am applying to as many places as possible (hospital) before I have to put some type of end date on my last place of employment, thus triggering more questions and explanations.
I also hired a lawyer and will keep you posted with the strategy and outcome bc if this works.... this will be info everyone will need in their aresenal for the future. Send prayers , please !

Reactions: 1 user
No one is going to let you walk in to a hospital pharmacy or hr department to hand in a resume . They will demand you fill out an online application anyway.
Update...
I have applied to 3 positions. One is registry at a hospital I would like to get into full time. I have an interview next week.
I applied for a position not too crazy about, but at a hospital I'd like to work at. Just received an invitation for a freaking digital interview . I have to go through some link so they can have a recorded video of me, it is not even live. Then the hr manager and hiring manager will review it and let me know if there is a next step.
I applied to my dream job at a top ranked university and had a friend give my resume to their manager as well...haven't heard anything yet.
I am applying to as many places as possible (hospital) before I have to put some type of end date on my last place of employment, thus triggering more questions and explanations.
I also hired a lawyer and will keep you posted with the strategy and outcome bc if this works.... this will be info everyone will need in their aresenal for the future. Send prayers , please !

They will if you know them from before (rotations, local pharmacist meetings like NYSCHP), etc.

They will if you know them from before (rotations, local pharmacist meetings like NYSCHP), etc.

No. Even if you know the DOP and can hand him/her your resume, you still need to fill out the online application.

Reactions: 1 user
No. Even if you know the DOP and can hand him/her your resume, you still need to fill out the online application.

True but at that point you already have the job. As soon as you leave, the DOP calls HR and tells them to be on the look out for your online application and to forward that one and trash the rest.

True but at that point you already have the job. As soon as you leave, the DOP calls HR and tells them to be on the look out for your online application and to forward that one and trash the rest.

Yeah, totally believable... in 2005.

Reactions: 1 users