Resignation VS RAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiveMD

Giggity giggity!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/...ceSeparations/Resignation+RAD+Information.htm

You will find several forms at the bottom of this page regarding Resignation vs. RAD. What's the difference between “Underqualified Resignation" and RAD? Who will have to use an "Underqualified Resignation" form?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I played this game back when I was seperating as a sub officer in order to try and become an ensign again. It's pretty simple if I recall. If you have augmented (been in long enough or promoted to LCDR I believe) to an active duty commission, vice USNR, you resign. If you are still holding on to your USNR commission (which can be confusing because I did seven years active duty with a reserve commission), you release from active duty.

So what's the difference? Used to be 10-15 years ago, all acad grads got active duty (USN) commissions and I think ROTC got USNR. Really doesn't matter until they want to fire you (think Clinton downsizing). If you have a USN commission, they have to give you seperation pay, vice USNR, no entitlement. Useless trivia, unless you are being seperated.

One thing I forgot to mention, that 9 month rule is a load of crap. They can process you much faster, especially if you have a bonus check coming up. Here's a short summary of my conversation with the detailer (the JO detailer, as the depatment head detailer wrote me off once I said I didn't want to to do a deparmtment head tour "why would you want to do something else in the Navy"). So basically your two options are to go to SOAC (submarine officer advanced course) or get out to pursue medical school. SOAC guarenteed me to a three year billet on a boat. So I submitted a RAD, a month later, approved. So no, nine months is a farce, but they could force it on you if they are trying to PCS you. That's a losing fiscal deal though, they pay for the move and three months later you're out. Just pay attention to what you are signing up to, sometimes the PCS move means you have to serve two years before getting out.

Members don't see this ad :)
sometimes the PCS move means you have to serve two years before getting out.
Or 3 years if you are in a DoD tour (HI and Alaska I believe). THIS IS AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TOPIC FOR ALL THOSE NEW HPSP DOCS. DO NOT TAKE ORDERS THAT MIGHT EXTEND YOUR PAYBACK TIME IN THE MILITARY. DETAILERS WILL HIDE THIS FROM YOU. DOUBLE CHECK MANY, MANY, MANY TIMES WITH BEFORE COMMITING...

Ex: If your EAOS (End of active obligated service=HPSP payback) is JULY 09, but you take orders to HI with a PRD (Projected Rotation Date) of JAN 10 and you are planning to get out...guess what....you will have to do a minimum of 3 years in HI before submitting your RAD (Release from Active Duty). IOW, you just extended you time without getting any monetary benefits. IT is very different when you take 3 year orders in CONUS. IN CONUS, after 2 years on station, you will be allowed to get out. BE VERY F-ING CAREFUL!!!!!

Or 3 years if you are in a DoD tour (HI and Alaska I believe). THIS IS AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TOPIC FOR ALL THOSE NEW HPSP DOCS. DO NOT TAKE ORDERS THAT MIGHT EXTEND YOUR PAYBACK TIME IN THE MILITARY. DETAILERS WILL HIDE THIS FROM YOU. DOUBLE CHECK MANY, MANY, MANY TIMES WITH BEFORE COMMITING...

Ex: If your EAOS (End of active obligated service=HPSP payback) is JULY 09, but you take orders to HI with a PRD (Projected Rotation Date) of JAN 10 and you are planning to get out...guess what....you will have to do a minimum of 3 years in HI before submitting your RAD (Release from Active Duty). IOW, you just extended you time without getting any monetary benefits. IT is very different when you take 3 year orders in CONUS. IN CONUS, after 2 years on station, you will be allowed to get out. BE VERY F-ING CAREFUL!!!!!

Thanks for the tip!! Good Stuff

Are you allowed to turn down a location that would extend your commitment?

I actually researched whether the Navy can take you take orders that would extend your obligation. Specifically in the billeting of FS and DMO. I found nothing that protects the servicemember from taking orders....

A friend of mine with a 4 year scholarship did 2 years in lejuene, mostly in Iraq. She wanted to do her last 2 years of obligation in shore duty. The Navy made her wait for her orders until funding was available for the new fiscal year. Well guess what minimum of 24 months on shore duty. EXTENDED! another year and no residency:thumbup:

I actually researched whether the Navy can take you take orders that would extend your obligation. Specifically in the billeting of FS and DMO. I found nothing that protects the servicemember from taking orders....

A friend of mine with a 4 year scholarship did 2 years in lejuene, mostly in Iraq. She wanted to do her last 2 years of obligation in shore duty. The Navy made her wait for her orders until funding was available for the new fiscal year. Well guess what minimum of 24 months on shore duty. EXTENDED! another year and no residency:thumbup:

Wow!! That is horrible!!:scared:

Great advice. I think this sounds really familiar...ugh, it does:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=259459

What a ghastly set of circumstances. I'm no lawyer (contrary to popular opinion) but that sounds very much extralegal, compelling you to accept orders that extend you beyond your seperation date. Do some digging, both of you...

Does any knows how long it takes BUPERS to process a RAD letter? Will they communicate with you once a determination has been made? How? E-mail, phone, letter? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Does any knows how long it takes BUPERS to process a RAD letter? Will they communicate with you once a determination has been made? How? E-mail, phone, letter? Any input is greatly appreciated.

How long your RAD takes depends entirely on how long it sits on each desk as it makes its way for somebody with a star to sign it.

Thats why you should start this process a full 12 months out (9-12 months is the suggested window).

There are only a few ways you will find out whether it has been approved.

the official version will come out as message traffic, but unless you have access to SIPR, you won't be able to check the traffic.

The other way you can check it is on Bupers Online.
Once you log in there, they will have an application status that will hopefully read that headquarters approved request. Then you watch, and a few days later, there will be a DTG for the message, and you can find someone that has access to message traffic, and get a copy. (detailers can frequently e-mail this to you if you send them the DTG)

i want out

also to address a couple of the other questions,
RAD is what you will be doing.
There shouldn't be anymore USNR MC types, since they augmented them all whether they wanted to or not.
If you want to be thorough, then fill out all the paperwork, and route all of it at the same time.
This may help save you from getting it bounced back by some thick headed numb skull that still thinks your USNR, and should have submitted a different form.

How long your RAD takes depends entirely on how long it sits on each desk as it makes its way for somebody with a star to sign it.

Thats why you should start this process a full 12 months out (9-12 months is the suggested window).

the official version will come out as message traffic, but unless you have access to SIPR, you won't be able to check the traffic.

Once you log in there, they will have an application status that will hopefully read that headquarters approved request. Then you watch, and a few days later, there will be a DTG for the message, and you can find someone that has access to message traffic, and get a copy. (detailers can frequently e-mail this to you if you send them the DTG)

i want out

There shouldn't be anymore USNR MC types, since they augmented them all whether they wanted to or not.
If you want to be thorough, then fill out all the paperwork, and route all of it at the same time.
This may help save you from getting it bounced back by some thick headed numb skull that still thinks your USNR, and should have submitted a different form.

Hang on a second, not that I doubt you, it's been a while for me. I thought you did a RAD if you were unaugmented USNR, and resignation is USN. I would also like to point out, again (from a different thread), that signing that augmentation letter generally commits you for another two years. Not sure what they are doing these days, but that was the deal three years ago. Also I second giving it a lot of time, they can do it faster (from my experience, but that was after they had turned down an extension request). I wasn't under contract, so they couldn't force me to go to SOAC (sub officer advanced course), so the only option was actually to fast track the paperwork.

Completely unrelated note, anyone got a copy of that report about Walter Reed that came out today? If so, please start a thread to elucidate us all.

i want out

Thank you "i want out"; this is very helpful...:thumbup:

Glad this got bumped I was just getting round to doing my letter. If you came in through HPSP, you have an 8 year total service obligation, regardless of your active duty committment, so you can't resign your commission yet if you have < 8 years service. You need to do the RAD letter and transfer to the IRR.

I was "regular" USN my first time through the Navy as a SWO and had to submit a RAD letter. My IRR time passed uneventfully and I hope my next trip through the IRR goes the same.

Good luck on your final year, stay safe, and I'll see you on the outside next year!

Hang on a second, not that I doubt you, it's been a while for me. I thought you did a RAD if you were unaugmented USNR, and resignation is USN. I would also like to point out, again (from a different thread), that signing that augmentation letter generally commits you for another two years. Not sure what they are doing these days, but that was the deal three years ago. Also I second giving it a lot of time, they can do it faster (from my experience, but that was after they had turned down an extension request). I wasn't under contract, so they couldn't force me to go to SOAC (sub officer advanced course), so the only option was actually to fast track the paperwork.

Completely unrelated note, anyone got a copy of that report about Walter Reed that came out today? If so, please start a thread to elucidate us all.

I am writing from relatively recent personal experience.

They forced augmentation onto all the USNR medical corps.
They didn't ask anyone, nobody had to apply, they didn't even bother to notify anyone other than some obscure message traffic.

That combined with the fact that language in the HPSP contract very clearly states that your 8 years (4 active/4 IRR) starts when you begin active duty, makes the RAD the correct piece of paperwork.

Now, the memory of the admin types about exactly what your saying is why it may be beneficial to send both through the chain, and hope for the best.

I initially sent the RAD in because that looked like what I needed to do, it was bounced back from a Nurse corps officer as the wrong form.
I then sent the Resignation in, and the Nurse approved and forwarded, it was then bounced back from further up the chain.
At that point, since I had both on hand, I dated them when I had first submitted each, and routed them together.
That eventually worked.
Message traffic eventually came out that my RAD was conditional upon acceptance of an IRR appointment.

I don't doubt, that as a bubblehead/SWO or any other line officer, when you apply for augmentation, they require 24 more months, and that may even still be the case, but doesn't appear to apply to the FORCED augmentation of Medical Corps.

another point, that bears repeating loudly:
Remember to Resign your commission after your IRR time is up, or you will remain on the IRR roster.

i want out

I don't doubt, that as a bubblehead/SWO or any other line officer, when you apply for augmentation, they require 24 more months, and that may even still be the case, but doesn't appear to apply to the FORCED augmentation of Medical Corps.

another point, that bears repeating loudly:
Remember to Resign your commission after your IRR time is up, or you will remain on the IRR roster.

i want out

All right, that clears things up. And it was almost three years ago, who knows if they are requiring extra time now.

They forced augmentation onto all the USNR medical corps.
They didn't ask anyone, nobody had to apply, they didn't even bother to notify anyone other than some obscure message traffic.

That combined with the fact that language in the HPSP contract very clearly states that your 8 years (4 active/4 IRR) starts when you begin active duty, makes the RAD the correct piece of paperwork.

Are you sure about that? According to the instructions I've seen if you are USN you submit a resignation and if you are USNR you submit an RAD request.

Are you sure about that? According to the instructions I've seen if you are USN you submit a resignation and if you are USNR you submit an RAD request.

Please refer to above.

I have personally been through this process recently, and successfully, I might add.

For those of us that were forced to augment, to USN and had remaining service obligation (IRR time) but were done with the active duty portion of our obligated service, we REQUEST to RAD and must wait to actually resign until such time as our IRR time is done.

As I understand it, one requests to Resign from Active Duty if one does not intend to, (or can't) give up your commission.

One resigns if you wish to turn in your congressionally ordered comission.

For further information, you will need to review MILPERSMAN 1920-200

i want out (probably should change this since I now have a DD214 but I am going to wait until I can resign my comission and get out of the IRR)