resistance and temp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twesting2173

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does resistance of a resistor increase or decrease with an increase in temp?

Members don't see this ad.

to add to the above:

Resistance also decreases if you add resistors in parallel because you are increasing the cross sec area.

If you add them in series resistance increases.

I wish we get a circuit passage:D

It usually increases.

There are some materials, for which it decreases. It depen ds of a coefficient, called "alpha" (okay, abreviated alpha, i don't remember the constant name, it's some sort of t emperature coeff I think).

Sonya

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that resistance increases, but does anyone know why? I mean, there should be more electrons in the conduction band, especially for a semiconductor...

This website states it more eloquantly than I can:
http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/~tw/sc/b.html
"Metals:In a metal, the valence electrons are thought of as being shared by all the positive ions. Therefore, the electrons are free to move throughout the crystalline lattice. The electrons move randomly throughout the crystal, until an electric field is applied to the material. Then the electric field forces the electrons to move in a direction opposite to the field. Actually, the electrons still move somewhat randomly, but with a superimposed "drift". This produces current. As the temperature increases, the positive ions in the crystal vibrate more, and more collisions occur between the valence electrons and the vibrating ions. These collisions hinder the "drift" motion of the valence electrons, thus reducing the current. In summary, for a metal, an increase in temperature causes an increase in resistance."

hmm, this might be repeating what neuronix quoted..

But here's what i'd assume the reason:

Resistance is caused by electrons hitting the particles (atoms). At a higher temperature, the atoms are moving about more, so they will collide with the electrons more, thus creating a higher resistance.

Sonya

slectrons smash together to move through a think wire. They keep bumping into each other generating heat. The higher the temperature, the lower conductuctivty is.

Status
Not open for further replies.