Resources/Advice for Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cubelife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm a bit confused on what types of loans are best for a dental student. I'm the first one in my family to go on to graduate school so I don't have any guidance from my family. I understand that there are private and federal loans. Ideally, I would like a loan that has the lowest interest rate. I have pretty good credit and I will have a co-signer if I don't meet the requirements.

One question that I have in particular is do I set a budget and then borrow the amount that will cover my tuition/fee and living expenses? Or do I need to take separate loans for each?

Members don't see this ad.

Direct Stafford and grad plus. These are the federal student loans available to you. Don’t go private and don’t make anyone co-sign. Fill out the fafsa and in your student aid portal at your schools bursar you can indicate how much beyond tuition and fees you’d like disbursed. Live frugal and return what you don’t need or ask for less for the following disbursement.

Reactions: 1 user
The Health Professionals Student Loan is also an option if you have sufficient financial need. 5% interest rate, and no interest accruing during dental school. However, not all schools offer it and the maximum amount varies from school to school.