Resources for cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMST

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

A PGY3 is here. I wonder what resources you use during the fellowship? and how you manage your time to study? I bought the Braunwald. It looks too dense tho!
I appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the Braunwald. It's unopened.

The best thing to do at this moment is to focus on your IM training. Strong IM skills will serve you much better come fellowship time than reading about cardiology-specific stuff that you'll forget.

Otherwise, try to work with phased array probe as much as you can, if your institution is not cheap and has good machines.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response and advice!
Actually, I have not used my stipend this year and I was thinking to spend it on some cardiology resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would use the stipend on board prep for IM boards

That is the most important thing now

For cards literature
Echo Feigenbaum is wonderful, some prefer Echo Manual by dr OH
EKG okeefe EKG book
Mayo clinic general cardiology board review videos is also great if you love watching videos
Brauwald is excellent if you have time
But ACC AHA guidelines will probably get you through fellowship

Some of these resources might be available for free through your fellowship or your library.
I will re-iterate that you should focus on finishing hard with your IM residency
You cant be a good cardiologist with good knowledge of IM

Echo: I think the ASE or Mayo videos, Otto or Feigenbaum or Oh textbook are all fine. I found the Washington manual a helpful reference but not board comprehensive

Nuclear: ASNC has great videos on this if they’re available. The Narula/Dilsizian textbook is okay but VERY dense and not a simple read. ACCSAP has some good basics.

Clinical cardiology: the Griffin manual I found to be an excellent resource. Otherwise the obvious textbook is Braunwald’s but it’s also huge and dense and not a quick light read. Mayo has great review videos. Know all the guideline documents as above poster said.

Cath: the Kern handbook is a great practical guide. I don’t think it’s an absolute necessity but Grossmans textbook is a good read if you’re planning on a cath career.

EKG: the Okeefe book and there’s a set of questions and examples for boards

I think the main thing to remember is that you’re not going to likely learn ALL of cardiology in a three year fellowship. Plus the literature and guidelines are ever changing. So in practice no matter how much you read in fellowship, your first couple years of practice will probably be the most learning especially as you gain independence

And yes at this point focus on doing well on IM boards

I agree with most of the recommendations.

Concentrate on finishing IM. Just study for your IM boards.

Your fellowship may have a conference where they use specific resources.
For example, in my fellowship first years present topics in Braunwald every week with the goal to cover the book in the first year.
So wait and know what your program does and go with the plan.

One tip I will give is to feel a radial pulse ( look for pulse contour) on your IM patients as part of your physical exam. Feel as many pulse as you can before fellowship. It may help reduce your anxiety when trying to get access during cath rotation.