Resources for getting a headstart for D1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frantic330

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I'll be starting D1 in this upcoming July and I'm really eager to get a headstart. I know many people say that you should enjoy the last few months you have left of this freedom before you sell your soul for 4 years of DS, but with all this corona stuff going on, there's literally nothing to do sitting at home all day and not being able to hang out with friends. I wanted to ask any current/recent D1's if there are any online youtube channels or online textbooks or notes they are willing to share that would be helpful to get a headstart on so there is a little bit less stress during the school year! (i.e. resources for classes like dental occlusion, dental anatomy, etc)

Thanks y'all and stay safe!

Members don't see this ad.

Find what major classes you're taking in the Fall (e.g. Physiology) and get summarized understanding of it. I had the same idea about wanting to learn oral pathology before school started since our school has very intense path classes. I looked through a book and it was so much info that there was no point. Once we took the classes, the professors gave us the important stuff we needed to learn.

Get a very basic understanding of whatever you're wanting to learn.

Reactions: 1 user
Just chill. You will be drinking from a firehose. No reason to start the sipping now.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Literally do anything except study. Start working out more, start a new hobby, learn how to do anything other than stuff related to school.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are REALLY bored and want to start learning gross anatomy this site helped a lot when we had cadaver dissection quizzes D1 year.

• Love
Hi guys! So I'll be starting D1 in this upcoming July and I'm really eager to get a headstart. I know many people say that you should enjoy the last few months you have left of this freedom before you sell your soul for 4 years of DS, but with all this corona stuff going on, there's literally nothing to do sitting at home all day and not being able to hang out with friends. I wanted to ask any current/recent D1's if there are any online youtube channels or online textbooks or notes they are willing to share that would be helpful to get a headstart on so there is a little bit less stress during the school year! (i.e. resources for classes like dental occlusion, dental anatomy, etc)

Thanks y'all and stay safe!

Don’t do anything and enjoy your time.

If you feel like you absolutely have to do something, get first aid NBDE part 1 and read that. But you don’t need to do anything to prepare for dental school.

best thing to do is find out what classes you'll be taking your first semester, and start studying those as opposed to just general stuff. any class you study now, that's after your first semester of D1 you won't remember. lol, trust me, speaking from experience. obviously, no need to go HAM on it, but nothing wrong w/ trying to get a jump on things. just remember to keep a balanced life, and you should be good. study some, but still do your hobbies like workin out, playin COD, lol whatever you like.

btw, great school choice! haha, congrats on getting accepted there

• Love
Relax and enjoy your free time.

Prepping for dental school workload is like prepping for a fight with Mike Tyson - everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face.

Reactions: 6 users
Obtain some basic sciences Board Review materials. It's the condensed version of what you need to know. Shadow some crown & denture lab technicians. Consider going into the USAF to help pay for tuition. You have Lackland AFB next door which used to have the worlds largest military hospital. You also have the Authority in Endodontic Science in Dr. Ken Hargreaves PhD. I'm not sure if he lectures undergrad. Man I want some Tex-Mex!

Here’s a list to get you started for D1: 3 bottles of red, 3 bottles of white, a 5th of vodka, a 5th of rum, 3 cases of high quality beer, a nice set of glassware.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
This may pertain to when you already "sold your soul" and have 2nd thoughts. Watching John Kois on Youtube will get you stoked for the DS grind like some bada__ music for lifting weights. His classes are about $6k so you won't learn anything for free. However, you will really appreciate dentistry and aspire to finish school.

Last edited:
Kaplan NBDE Part I Lecture Notes and First Aid NBDE Part I textbooks are really great resources to start going over

I know you're excited but I agree with those who say to relax and enjoy your time. If you start preparing now for DS you might burn yourself out before spring semester 2021 is over and then you'll be in a world of hurt. I remember how tired I was by spring break and it was all I could do to finish the last 6 weeks and finals.

I know you're excited but I agree with those who say to relax and enjoy your time. If you start preparing now for DS you might burn yourself out before spring semester 2021 is over and then you'll be in a world of hurt. I remember how tired I was by spring break and it was all I could do to finish the last 6 weeks and finals.
Good point. Funny enough, a lot of the people that “prepared” over the summer or went next level intensity during the first quarter burned themselves out by the 2nd quarter of D1! They laugh about it now though. LOL