Resources for Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amojan99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any books or other resources to look into for someone starting out in research and how to write and organize research papers?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any books or other resources to look into for someone starting out in research and how to write and organize research papers?

You need to be more specific in what you are trying to do and at what stage of your education you are. There is no one book that has the methodology of every field of science. There are tons of books and internet sites that can provide background info on theory and techniques. It all depends on what you are trying to do and the field.

As for learning about writing papers, the best thing to do is to read a lot of papers in your area of research. Go to PubMed and do a literature search and do a ton of reading. Your mentor or someone in the lab should be able to help you with all of this.

I'm talking about where can i find out about t-tests, chi squares, and other statistical data analyses. As in, I've done clinical research before and performed the basic excel tests like mean, standard deviation etc. but my mentor performed the higher level tests. I was second author on those pubs, but if I ever want to strike out on my own, I need to know how to do these on my own. So I want to know where I can find out about how to conduct these on my own for my own research paper.

I'm talking about where can i find out about t-tests, chi squares, and other statistical data analyses. As in, I've done clinical research before and performed the basic excel tests like mean, standard deviation etc. but my mentor performed the higher level tests. I was second author on those pubs, but if I ever want to strike out on my own, I need to know how to do these on my own. So I want to know where I can find out about how to conduct these on my own for my own research paper.

Aside from checking out statistics textbooks, you can use the internet. I just Googled "statistics" and the 2nd site was

http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/stathome.html

It's free and looks comprehensive.