1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Resources for Research

Discussion in 'Student Research and Publishing' started by amojan99, Apr 7, 2007.

1. amojan99

amojan99 Member
    5+ Year Member

Anyone have any books or other resources to look into for someone starting out in research and how to write and organize research papers?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You need to be more specific in what you are trying to do and at what stage of your education you are. There is no one book that has the methodology of every field of science. There are tons of books and internet sites that can provide background info on theory and techniques. It all depends on what you are trying to do and the field.

As for learning about writing papers, the best thing to do is to read a lot of papers in your area of research. Go to PubMed and do a literature search and do a ton of reading. Your mentor or someone in the lab should be able to help you with all of this.

4. amojan99

amojan99 Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm talking about where can i find out about t-tests, chi squares, and other statistical data analyses. As in, I've done clinical research before and performed the basic excel tests like mean, standard deviation etc. but my mentor performed the higher level tests. I was second author on those pubs, but if I ever want to strike out on my own, I need to know how to do these on my own. So I want to know where I can find out about how to conduct these on my own for my own research paper.

5. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Aside from checking out statistics textbooks, you can use the internet. I just Googled "statistics" and the 2nd site was

http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/stathome.html

It's free and looks comprehensive.