Resourses to learn about programs, apart from....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfaa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apart from....

1.word of mouth
2.freida
3.this place
4.scutwork.com
5.Individual program websites

....what other resources are there to get the low-down on General Surgery programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. Lots of good reading there. Thanks!

robotsonic said:

Thanks. I knew about that one. It's very basic. Definately geared toward the junior medstudent just beginning to think about surgery. It does have some interesting points. But it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for information about specific GS programs.

Thanks Pilotdoc for the cleo suggestion. I consulted her and recieved some fine advice - "Be sticking ta yer inner feelin's. Da heart knows which program is da good one. You'll match to the program of your choice... but first ya must sacrifice an unblemished goat and two young virgins. Believe. Cleo has forseen it"

I feel much better now. Got mah unblemished goat already. Off now to find two young virgins in the city of Chicago. That's not going to be an easy task. :eek:

Later. Any more suggestions would be much appreciated. :cool:

asdfaa said:
Thanks. I knew about that one. It's very basic. Definately geared toward the junior medstudent just beginning to think about surgery. It does have some interesting points. But it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for information about specific GS programs.

The ACS website has that information, but it's well hidden. Click here. I don't put much faith in their database, though.

Pilot Doc said:
The ACS website has that information, but it's well hidden. Click here. I don't put much faith in their database, though.
Thanks much. :cool:

Pilot Doc said:

Yeah, this is what I was referring to. I should have explained.

anyone have any thoughts on whether it's useful/worth it for narrowing down gsurg residencies?

(the story behind: i'm a 4th yr us student w/obnoxiously low step1 and 2s - given that all my classmates have better board scores - based on our school avg, i can't exactly get much advice from them. really want to avoid community programs and get to cali ... would be willing to go to a small program. i know my hopes sound absurd, but i am taking a yr off to do research, so it'd be nice to figure out where i should do back-to-back sub-i's when i get back... thanks!)

warmerweather said:
anyone have any thoughts on whether it's useful/worth it for narrowing down gsurg residencies?

(the story behind: i'm a 4th yr us student w/obnoxiously low step1 and 2s - given that all my classmates have better board scores - based on our school avg, i can't exactly get much advice from them. really want to avoid community programs and get to cali ... would be willing to go to a small program. i know my hopes sound absurd, but i am taking a yr off to do research, so it'd be nice to figure out where i should do back-to-back sub-i's when i get back... thanks!)

Have you exhausted the above mentioned six sources?

warmerweather said:
i know my hopes sound absurd, but i am taking a yr off to do research,

The better question is whether you're doing your research at the right place. You need to find a lab run by a general surgeon who has a reputation with influential people at the programs which interest you. If it is a lab AT a program that interests you, all the better.
If this does not describe your current situation, look elsewhere - it will not be difficult to find a lab willing to accept your offer of cheap labor!

Rather than wasting time with sub-I's, I would spend time starting your research now. When your rec letters are due next Fall, you want your PI to have watched you for more than a couple months.