Respect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

court16

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking through a lot of these different forums and why does it seem like no careers ( pharmacists, pa's, podiatrists, OD's) get respect besides MD's?? Is it true that all people in these professions are just wanna be doctors, who didn't or didn't think they could make it to med school?? I am struggeling between choosing a career among these options including MD and I find it so disturbing that so many people within these fields cannot see the importance of each of these careers to health care team.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea everyone needs each other and needs to work as a team

Court:

In answer to your first question, I would say that it is not that other professions do not get respect, it is more that they do not command the same respect as being a physician. There is a big difference.

In answer to your second question, the answer is a resounding "No". To say that non-physician health care providers are all "MD-Wannabes" is an obvious inaccurate blanket-statement and I think you know that as well as I. Having said that, those who cannot get into medical school will invariably find another role in medicine and will tend to seek positions that are as similar to being a physician as possible. For this reason, a high majority of those who cannot get into medical school may seek professions such as PA, NP, CRNA, Podiatry, etc. That is not to say, however, that most who are PAs, NPs, CRNAs, Podiatrists, etc. are people who could not get into medical school. That is just not true.

I don't think that what you are reading on this website should cause you to be concerned that non-physician healthcare providers cannot see the importance of their respective field, because I just don't think that is true. One certainly cannot come to that conclusion from this website. You must consider the fact that the amount of people who frequent this forum represents less than a fraction of the overall healthcare provider force in this country. For this reason, take everything you read here with a grain of salt. Form your opinions based on real-life interactions with human-beings, not website forums. You will likely have a better experience.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree with the above posts from CVPA and NRAI. The majority of posters on SDN are premeds and are hung up on things like US News rankings, and other things that really don't mean a lot in the real world. I know because I was there several years ago. Once you get your foot in the door you begin to realize that it takes a whole lot of dedicated people to make the whole thing go. The other thing is that, job satisfaction aside, there's a whole lot more to having a well-rounded life than what you have chosen as a career (and what people on the outside think about it's importance). It's been said before, but definitely deserves reiteration: The allied health field is FULL of bright and talented professionals, and is far from being "a place for MD wannabes." Those who are in a place to know, know this. Best of luck!

Willamette

I try to treat everybody with the same amount of respect regardless of what their title is. Just because you have an M.D. or D.O. or anything else for that matter after you name does not automatically mean that you will have my respect. What matters is whether or not youre a good person.

rob

Rob77 said:
I try to treat everybody with the same amount of respect regardless of what their title is. Just because you have an M.D. or D.O. or anything else for that matter after you name does not automatically mean that you will have my respect. What matters is whether or not youre a good person.

rob

Well said! :clap:

Some people have a hard time respecting anyone, probably including themselves. When someone is being disrespectful to me, it sometimes helps me to think, "what does he/she need?" (Besides the need to have their inner child spanked...)

Posted by CVPA: In answer to your first question, I would say that it is not that other professions do not get respect, it is more that they do not command the same respect as being a physician. There is a big difference.

Particularly since MDs are no longer at the top of the list. One list I looked at recently had firefighters at the top which I think is amusing since I have heard a few MDs say that they wish they had gone that route. The most important aspect of a career choice is choosing what you love, not what others will think of you when you tell them what you do for a living.

thanks for all the posts, it helps to know that some people understand the meaning of health care team!

You have to earn respect by being good at what you do.... plain and simple. It's not granted with any degree or certificate. If you're not getting it.... just keep this in mind.

I agree with the above post. Just realize that it takes a special dedication to become a physician. A lot of individuals cannot/choose not to pursue this route. No problem, but to those who have fought the hard fight (as I have) MAD, MAD kudos to you all!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: