Are there any well respected NP hybrid programs that are mostly online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope things are going well! I just wanted to get some pointers in the right direction -- I have a parent that I spend a good deal of time taking care of, and really want to go to a NP program that would allow me to be still stay in close proximity! However, there don't seem to be a lot of schools near LA (Cali) that are very well respected, at least according to US News (not sure how this actually plays out in real life?). I'm a bit worried about the market saturation currently and have been told that going to a better school could help offset this. As such, are there any respectable NP hybrid programs that are mostly online? A huge thank you to everybody!! You are amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anything that is online will be less respected than a “real” version of the same

Reactions: 4 users
Hope things are going well! I just wanted to get some pointers in the right direction -- I have a parent that I spend a good deal of time taking care of, and really want to go to a NP program that would allow me to be still stay in close proximity! However, there don't seem to be a lot of schools near LA (Cali) that are very well respected, at least according to US News (not sure how this actually plays out in real life?). I'm a bit worried about the market saturation currently and have been told that going to a better school could help offset this. As such, are there any respectable NP hybrid programs that are mostly online? A huge thank you to everybody!! You are amazing!

So you are already an RN?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything that is online will be less respected than a “real” version of the same

There was once a time when meeting someone to date online carried a stigma. Now it’s more common than the alternative.

Before you say “well that’s dating”, consider that Yale has the best PA school in the country, and they created an online hybrid a couple years ago. Every PA would throw their alma mater’s parchment in the trash to have Yale’s name on an alumni sweatshirt to wear around. They still might be working for a Caribbean trained DO for a mere fraction of what they make, but they would stock up on as much Yale swag as they could afford.

Reactions: 1 user
There was once a time when meeting someone to date online carried a stigma. Now it’s more common than the alternative.

Before you say “well that’s dating”, consider that Yale has the best PA school in the country, and they created an online hybrid a couple years ago. Every PA would throw their alma mater’s parchment in the trash to have Yale’s name on an alumni sweatshirt to wear around. They still might be working for a Caribbean trained DO for a mere fraction of what they make, but they would stock up on as much Yale swag as they could afford.

A bit of a reach there. I personally wouldn’t want to change my alma mater to Yale because I went to a great PA school that would rival them clinically in my opinion.

In regards to this statement:
They still might be working for a Caribbean trained DO for a mere fraction of what they make, but they would stock up on as much Yale swag as they could afford.

That would be considered a bit of an insult to physicians (IMG and DOs). Be cognizant when making these statements.

Hype isn’t worth what it used to be....that was my point. It wasn’t an insulting comment... think it over and I think you’ll see that. You can’t really pull the statements I made apart and get the proper sense of what I was saying. (And as you know, you’ll find the most jaundiced eyes toward IMGs and Caribbean among the allopathic folks who have set the tone for everyone else).

At the end of the day, IMGs and Caribbean trained physicians pass boards that allow them to practice above even the “elite” trained PAs. But the PA school with the most respected pedigree believes in online training. You may see things for what they are as far as school hype, and I tend to think as you do on the subject, but the Yale PA program has sway. And the kind of sway that counts most is that outside of the PA community. Can’t deny that. Thats what drives people to want the Yale sweatshirt. And that’s why knocking online training now has diminished returns when someone throws out a dis.

To go further, when a well respected allopathic school gets around to offering most of its program online, what are the PA purists going to say about their in-person PA training, especially when they, too, will be working under those graduates’ supervision? The answer is that perceptions will be moot, just like working under a perfectly capable IMG or Caribbean trained physician is appropriate.

Last edited:

Most programs these days are blended. It really is the better way to deliver the content. If you're writing papers, you don't need to sit in class to get the rubric for that. Some courses are better in person, some are not. Blended is becoming pretty standard now.

Reactions: 1 user