Respectfully declining interview for reapp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medschool6161

Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied this year MD and DO. Had a pretty low CARS score and only a 509 overall so have not heard from MD schools but have 1 DO interview. I think I want to retake the MCAT and reapply again - both DO and MD. I know I can do better than what I scored on CARS (122), and I do not want it to hold me back from MD interviews. I am open to both schools, just don't agree with submitting such a low percentile score on a big exam. What is the best way to turn down the DO interview and still be able to apply to this school next year? I would be happy to go, I just know that if I get in, I will have to accept as I have nothing else lined up and do want to be able to apply for DO again. I will withdraw apps otherwise for all other DO schools - would that be okay?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

If you turn down the DO interview, that specific school will see no point in offering you another one next year. Applicants also often overestimate their ability to improve on the MCAT and a few extra points is not going to be enough to move the needle for MD schools.

Take the interview and see what happens (provided it is not on the list of ones to avoid). If you applied to more than a couple DO schools and submitted a while ago, then there are potentially more issues with your app since a 509 is a competitive score at most, if not all, of the schools.

Reactions: 8 users
If you turn down the DO interview, that specific school will see no point in offering you another one next year. Applicants also often overestimate their ability to improve on the MCAT and a few extra points is not going to be enough to move the needle for MD schools.

Take the interview and see what happens (provided it is not on the list of ones to avoid). If you applied to more than a couple DO schools and submitted a while ago, then there are potentially more issues with your app since a 509 is a competitive score at most, if not all, of the schools.
Hey thanks for your time! It is my understanding that even though a 509 is the average at some schools (a lower average) that a 122 would have me screened out by many schools - is this not right?

Otherwise, I actually applied pretty late to DO - end of Oct to beg Nov which is why I want to make the decision to withdraw now if I have to before more interviews possibly come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for your time! It is my understanding that even though a 509 is the average at some schools (a lower average) that a 122 would have me screened out by many schools - is this not right?

Otherwise, I actually applied pretty late to DO - end of Oct to beg Nov which is why I want to make the decision to withdraw now if I have to before more interviews possibly come in.
You would have to contact the schools you specifically applied to. If you are a non-native English speaker, that helps put your CARS score in context for admissions readers. Otherwise, yes, a 122 is rather low and would be a problem. What is your cGPA and sGPA? What state are you a resident of?

I would honestly wait to see how all the DO schools pan out. It would be a year lost in attending salary, but if you would regret it, then you can withdraw. You would be considered a reapplicant at all of the ones you had applied to in that case.

I would still take the interview, especially if you have no other options. Beggars cannot be choosers, and if it is really a school you would consider attending, why wait a year?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I agree with the points above - I would recommend taking the interview you have. If you have a strong interview, they might overlook your CARS score and offer you an acceptance this cycle, which would be ideal.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand where you are coming from, I really do. However, you need to understand this from the admission committee's perspective. Let's say you do apply next year. They will ask you about your previous application history. They will wonder why you turned down the opportunity to be a medical student.
If they invited you for the interview, and I am sure @Goro and @LizzyM can back me up here, the stats are no longer the factor, you are in the door. Now it is about fit, for both you and the school.
That being said, I would strongly not recommend declining an interview for this school. What's the worse that happens, you get into the school? Then you will be a doctor in 4 years.
If you don't get in you are right back where you started and you can retake the MCAT

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

I applied this year MD and DO. Had a pretty low CARS score and only a 509 overall so have not heard from MD schools but have 1 DO interview. I think I want to retake the MCAT and reapply again - both DO and MD. I know I can do better than what I scored on CARS (122), and I do not want it to hold me back from MD interviews. I am open to both schools, just don't agree with submitting such a low percentile score on a big exam.

And yet you did. :puzzled:
What is the best way to turn down the DO interview and still be able to apply to this school next year?

There is no good way to do this. The school thinks that 122 is good enough or they would not waste their time interviewing you.
I would be happy to go,
If this is true, just go to the interview.
I just know that if I get in, I will have to accept as I have nothing else lined up and do want to be able to apply for DO again. I will withdraw apps otherwise for all other DO schools - would that be okay?

TIA!
Why essentially waste all the time and money you poured into this cycle to do it all over again next year. If you really would be happy going to the school that made you an interview invite, go and do your best.

The worst case would be that you withdraw before interview, reapply and get no interview invites. Do you want to be in that situation next year?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Thank you all for the input. I am very appreciate of your time! So I guess to clarify myself a little ... I had some pressure to apply from family members as I am nontraditional and they were surprised I would want to do this again - if it were solely up to me without other voices, I would not have applied with my current CARS subsection. A 122 is almost the 20th percentile - in no way do I think it is representative of my capabilities. I have been on this journey for 4 yrs as a nontraditional student and regret applying before I knew I was ready to turn in a good application and score - I did not want to rush any part of this process and apply early and did so with this aspect of my app, unfortunately. I am 26 and have a partner on the west coast and a sick family member at home. Being at the DO school on the E coast, there is no easy way to travel... which I looked into yesterday. The best way for me to get home is a 7 hr drive and the easiest way for my partner to visit is to fly across the country and drive 200+ miles to school. These lifestyle factors at my age are something I am considering as well for the next four years. To give context, I am from IL where there are many state schools, and Midwestern places a heavy emphasis on MCAT. My goal was to retake and expand my opportunities for interviews closer to home as I feel my subsection could be holding me back at many schools.

My main goal is to of course be a doctor and I am thrilled to go wherever, truly. I am also at a different stage of life than many fresh-out-of-school applicants as I will be 27 by the time I start and the above factors are in my head.

Just remember every extra year you wait is probably 300k+ opportunity cost

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
My main goal is to of course be a doctor and I am thrilled to go wherever, truly. I am also at a different stage of life than many fresh-out-of-school applicants as I will be 27 by the time I start and the above factors are in my head.
Illinois is a competitive state for students and many of the schools are private. Even there, that would not solve your problem of having your partner on the West Coast.

Reactions: 4 users
You say you are at a different stage of life because you are older; you will be even older when you start school if you have to re-apply.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Thank you all for the input. I am very appreciate of your time! So I guess to clarify myself a little ... I had some pressure to apply from family members as I am nontraditional and they were surprised I would want to do this again - if it were solely up to me without other voices, I would not have applied with my current CARS subsection. A 122 is almost the 20th percentile - in no way do I think it is representative of my capabilities. I have been on this journey for 4 yrs as a nontraditional student and regret applying before I knew I was ready to turn in a good application and score - I did not want to rush any part of this process and apply early and did so with this aspect of my app, unfortunately. I am 26 and have a partner on the west coast and a sick family member at home. Being at the DO school on the E coast, there is no easy way to travel... which I looked into yesterday. The best way for me to get home is a 7 hr drive and the easiest way for my partner to visit is to fly across the country and drive 200+ miles to school. These lifestyle factors at my age are something I am considering as well for the next four years. To give context, I am from IL where there are many state schools, and Midwestern places a heavy emphasis on MCAT. My goal was to retake and expand my opportunities for interviews closer to home as I feel my subsection could be hold me back at many schools.
I’m going to be honest with you, CARS is the subject imho were one can improve very little especially in a short period of time because your reading abilities aren’t going to magically improve quickly unless you just scored super low on test day.

Also I’m not sure where you got the idea Midwest schools place emphasis on MCAT, it’s school dependent. Rush and Loyola really care about your volunteering track record and would definitely consider you with your current score.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m going to be honest with you, CARS is the subject imho were one can improve very little especially in a short period of time because your reading abilities aren’t going to magically improve quickly unless you just scored super low on test day.

Also I’m not sure where you got the idea Midwest schools place emphasis on MCAT, it’s school dependent. Rush and Loyola really care about your volunteering track record and would definitely consider you with your current score.
The other sections also have a chance of going down on a retake too.

I believe Midwestern was referring to the DO school CCOM near Chicago.

Reactions: 2 users
All we are advising you to do is take the interview. Give yourself the chance to make a good impression with the school that is giving you the message you may be closer to being ready than you believe. Making us regret inviting you to an interview will not help you if you try to reapply.

Reactions: 1 users
I cringe whenever I see someone say any age in their 20’s as older or running out of time. I didn’t start medical school until I was in my 30’s and I have no regrets.

OP it seems like you have made up your mind, but I also encourage you to take the interview like everyone else here. Also as a side note I would not bank on Midwestern taking you, as someone else who lives in Illinois. Midwestern even with a competitive MCAT for them told me they wouldn’t consider me despite being non traditional with thousands of clinical hours.

Just ask yourself this. Are you okay with turning down the chance of ever being a doctor? Because that is the position you are putting yourself in. By giving up this interview and opportunity there is absolutely no promises that you will get another interview in the next cycle or the one after. If you are truly okay with gambling with this dream then follow your path, only you can make that decision. For me personally, the risk of not becoming a doctor because I looked down upon a gift is not worth it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I cringe whenever I see someone say any age in their 20’s as older or running out of time. I didn’t start medical school until I was in my 30’s and I have no regrets.

OP it seems like you have made up your mind, but I also encourage you to take the interview like everyone else here. Also as a side note I would not bank on Midwestern taking you, as someone else who lives in Illinois. Midwestern even with a competitive MCAT for them told me they wouldn’t consider me despite being non traditional with thousands of clinical hours.

Just ask yourself this. Are you okay with turning down the chance of ever being a doctor? Because that is the position you are putting yourself in. By giving up this interview and opportunity there is absolutely no promises that you will get another interview in the next cycle or the one after. If you are truly okay with gambling with this dream then follow your path, only you can make that decision. For me personally, the risk of not becoming a doctor because I looked down upon a gift is not worth it.
Hey! I don't think I am running out of time at all :) I said above that there is no part of this app process I wanted to rush...more of family pressure that caused me to throw in apps early. Totally regret it now. I saw your posts last year on the UIC thread - your story is amazing! Hope school is going well.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for your input! I received way more feedback than I was anticipating (from very qualified people!). You guys are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.