Respiratory physiology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madeyedhl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,
Can somebody explain to me the following explanation I came across in UW?

It is about restrictive lung disease pathophysiology: they say that "increased outward recoil of chest decreases expiratory flow rates", and before that they talk about the radius and flow.. that higher radius leads to exponential increase in flow (expiratory flow rates).
But doesn't outward recoil of chest (larger chest compartment volume) lead to a wider conducting airway diameter thus increase the expiratory flow rates?

Thanks in advance and sorry if i am missing a very basic notion..

Members don't see this ad.

Dear All,
Can somebody explain to me the following explanation I came across in UW?

It is about restrictive lung disease pathophysiology: they say that "increased outward recoil of chest decreases expiratory flow rates", and before that they talk about the radius and flow.. that higher radius leads to exponential increase in flow (expiratory flow rates).
But doesn't outward recoil of chest (larger chest compartment volume) lead to a wider conducting airway diameter thus increase the expiratory flow rates?

Thanks in advance and sorry if i am missing a very basic notion..

I would say increased outward recoil of chest leads to a narrower conducting airway diameter and therefore decreased expiratory flow rates. The reason I would say this is because most of the trachea is above the chest compartment. the larger chest compartment during expiration leads to a less relatively positive pressure, and doesnt "force open" the airway as much

i might be misunderstanding your question though

Last edited: