Response to ethical dilemma question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babytomato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

For one of my supplemental applications, I have to talk about an ethical dilemma. I can only think of one and I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not this is even considered an ethical dilemma.

Last semester, I was assigned a group project to work on with four other students in a class. Unfortunately, they had little motivation to do well in the class and only wanted to pass. So I was left to do most of the work for the group, even telling them what to say during the presentation and how to say it. At the end, we had to turn in 5 multiple choice questions based on the presentation. Another person in the group agreed to do it, so I assigned her with that task. However, before we had to turn it in, she gave me the paper for me to turn it in. I didn't realize she had done the questions wrong when I turned it in to the teacher, so the teacher told me that in front of the class and returned it to me to redo it. I debated on whether or not to tell him privately that I did not write the questions, but I decided to confront the girl instead, and she told him she wrote the questions. That was one dilemma. The other was when the prof passed out a feedback paper where we could rate our partners and write down what scores we think they deserve. At first I just wrote down the scores. I later thought about whether or not I should've told him about my group, then eventually came back to his office I decided to write down a rather detailed explanation as to why I graded my partners the way I did.

I'm not sure if you could consider this an ethical dilemma in the first place. If it is, I don't know if explaining this situation would make me seem like a bad leader.

I appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't really follow what you're trying to say. What is the prompt?

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't really follow what you're trying to say. What is the prompt?
it's an ethical dilemma you faced. write it out, explain your thought process and what you did. don't worry about how others will perceive it.
do you have another ethical dilemma in mind that you could write about?

I'm great at overthinking things :rolleyes: My main issue is not knowing whether the situation can be considered an "ethical" dilemma. The other potential one I can think of is when my piano student's mother wanted me to go at a faster pace with her daughters but I wanted them to go at a pace where they're comfortable and they don't get overwhelmed.
either one would be fine

The point of these questions may be to gauge whether you can recognize what being a professional is, and somewhat about your engagement in critical thinking regarding ethics. Ethics and professionalism is big in school, you will probably end up having a class devoted to it.

Reactions: 1 user
The way I think of an ethical dilemma is the following:

Ethical dilemma is a situation when you are faced with two options; both options come with at least one terrible outcome. But, one of the option is better than the other from an ethical standpoint.

For example, you see your friend cheat on the exam day. you have two options a) to tell the professor so that he can take appropriate measures against your friends and b) to not tell anyone so that your friend is saved

Both options have a negative consequence: For instance: for a), if you tell the professor, you risk losing a friend; but it'll be good for your friend in the long run. For b) you will be morally guilty if you didn't take action and told the professor. May be in the future, your friend will do something even worse than cheating in a class. So, you are actually doing him a favor by telling the professor.

When you write the answer, you have to analyze these circumstances to make sure you are picking the option that is optimal, ethically speaking.