response

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medcat3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes...pursue your dreams! I am a 4th year med student who just matched in Psychiatry. I can tell you that my med school class was full of "non traditional" students who were lawyers, pilots, teachers, etc. in their former lives. That being said...is med school demanding? definitely, especially Year 1 and Year 3. Be prepared to spend massive amounts of time studying...however it can be done. Once you get out of med school and well on your way to becoming a Psychiatrist things may lighten up a bit. Intern year no matter which field you choose is brutal. However Psych residents work on average 52-60 hours a week. This is less than many other specialties which and very helpful for residents that have families. I have, however, seen residents in other specialties drop out of their programs because they missed their families too much. In general the physicians in specialties like Psychiatry and Family Practice are more accepting of residents with families and realize that they (the resident's family) are an important part of a resident's well being and productiveness.

As for what you can do now...start volunteering (hospice, ERs, nursing homes, children's organizations, etc.) and establishing the fact that you have a life outside of school. Many medical schools look for WELL ROUNDED applicants. Also take an MCAT prep course like Kaplan or Princeton Review. They are expensive, but so is applying to medical school AGAIN. Think of it as an investment in your future.

No doubt about it , the hardest part of medical school was getting in!!!

Members don't see this ad.