Restarting my MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-Kennedy35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
@MedSchoolTutors

Hi,

Sorry for bothering you, but I saw that you gave out really helpful advice to many people and I wanted to ask for your guidance too. So, I studied for my MCAT last year ( Jan- August) and finished the content pretty thoroughly, but due to COVID I couldn't take the exam. I took time off from MCAT prep and am now getting ready to start again. Unfortunately, I couldn't even take a practice test before.

I am hoping to take it on May 1st 2021 (12 weeks exactly from today). I previously read through all the books, took notes, used Anki and things stuck really well. However, now that I took my break, I still remember some things, but overall I definitely feel very shaky on the content.

My quandary is, how exactly should I study this time around? Should I read the chapters again without take notes, and just do questions immediately after? Should I just go through my written notes from before, and if anything seems confusing then read up on it in the book- all the while just focusing on questions? Is it too soon for me to start with a comprehensive ANKI deck right away, or should I wait until I finish one pass of the content?

Thanks

*If other user have any input, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Start doing practice tests, and find your weak spots. No matter how much you review, it is through practice tests you find your weaknesses. With 12 weeks left, you can start with light review and 3rd party FL’s before you transition to AAMC materials.

Reactions: 1 users
Start doing practice tests, and find your weak spots. No matter how much you review, it is through practice tests you find your weaknesses. With 12 weeks left, you can start with light review and 3rd party FL’s before you transition to AAMC materials.

Thanks for your advice. Do you recommend I start using a Anki deck right away or wait until A month in when I’m done going over all the books again. Keeping in mind, last year, I studied and got through everything already, but definitely forgot stuff.

I’ll take your advice and try to do a practice test each week starting now. That will already take me to 12 tests at a minimum. How and for how many days do you think test review should take? 1 day or 2 days?

Anki is earlier the better. I did about three practice tests a week, so 1 day for test taking and another day to review.

Members don't see this ad :)
@MedSchoolTutors

Hi,

Sorry for bothering you, but I saw that you gave out really helpful advice to many people and I wanted to ask for your guidance too. So, I studied for my MCAT last year ( Jan- August) and finished the content pretty thoroughly, but due to COVID I couldn't take the exam. I took time off from MCAT prep and am now getting ready to start again. Unfortunately, I couldn't even take a practice test before.

I am hoping to take it on May 1st 2021 (12 weeks exactly from today). I previously read through all the books, took notes, used Anki and things stuck really well. However, now that I took my break, I still remember some things, but overall I definitely feel very shaky on the content.

My quandary is, how exactly should I study this time around? Should I read the chapters again without take notes, and just do questions immediately after? Should I just go through my written notes from before, and if anything seems confusing then read up on it in the book- all the while just focusing on questions? Is it too soon for me to start with a comprehensive ANKI deck right away, or should I wait until I finish one pass of the content?

Thanks

*If other user have any input, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I would review the notes and use the books as needed. Since it has been so long you will need the books for sure, but a wholescale reading of the books again is likely not necessary and not efficient. Make practice questions and exams the foundation of your study plan and adjust as necessary. Agree with above about practice tests. Start with 3rd party tests that don't matter so much and save the AAMC ones for later in your plan.

Thanks for thinking of us! If you have any follow up questions I have the account tomorrow as well and would love to answer them.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thanks for your advice. Do you recommend I start using a Anki deck right away or wait until A month in when I’m done going over all the books again. Keeping in mind, last year, I studied and got through everything already, but definitely forgot stuff.

I’ll take your advice and try to do a practice test each week starting now. That will already take me to 12 tests at a minimum. How and for how many days do you think test review should take? 1 day or 2 days?
Yeah, definitely start Anki right now! Are you using kaplan? If so, use jacksparrow since it goes along with the books and has basic cards.