Restricted on location- only 2 med schools. Chances?

Started by liathano
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

liathano

MD Wannabe
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I live in the DC area and the only schools I can hope to get into are Georgetown and George Washington.

I can't move due to custody and my husband's job.

Anyone else in a similar position?

I start college for the first time next fall. I'm going to be a non-trad at 30 years old.
 
I live in the DC area and the only schools I can hope to get into are Georgetown and George Washington.

I can't move due to custody and my husband's job.

Anyone else in a similar position?

I start college for the first time next fall. I'm going to be a non-trad at 30 years old.
Yikes, both of those schools are extremely low yield. GT has a lower acceptance rate than Harvard and Yale. So, are you saying you can't move because of legal reasons?
 
Yikes, both of those schools are extremely low yield. GT has a lower acceptance rate than Harvard and Yale. So, are you saying you can't move because of legal reasons?
More or less. I have 2 kids from my first marriage and it was the biggest pain to move from Philadelphia to where I am now. Ex factor, boooo.

Also my husband's job is our bread and butter and can only be done here in this area. It's specialized and basically only happens in like 4 places nationwide.

Makes me nervous to even tell myself I want to become a doctor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
More or less. I have 2 kids from my first marriage and it was the biggest pain to move from Philadelphia to where I am now. Ex factor, boooo.

Also my husband's job is our bread and butter and can only be done here in this area. It's specialized and basically only happens in like 4 places nationwide.

Makes me nervous to even tell myself I want to become a doctor.
I know nothing about long-distance relationships, but people have made them work before while in med school. Maybe someone with first-hand experience can chime in? Wish you the best, other people have raised kids while in med school.
 
The Philly schools, penn state, UMD, Hopkins, UVA, and VCU are all reasonable commutes in terms of driving back to DC for some weekends. Consider them as well. Limiting yourself to those two schools is...just not that reasonable (unless you know someone).
 
Start college, see how things go, and see how your interests evolve. If you're still interested in medicine, and if your grades/MCAT score allow it to still be an option (not a guarantee!) then we can advise. As of now, I'm not sure how helpful it is to tell you to consider applying to Hopkins as well as Georgetown and GWU. Getting into medical school is tough. If your life circumstances are so limiting that you really can only apply to a very small number of schools, there's nothing stopping you-- and you may be lucky enough to be accepted!! But you should also be okay with the fact that you're giving yourself less of a chance as someone without the same limits. And there's nothing wrong with that... medicine is ridiculously demanding and not everybody is in a position to be able to do it, for all kinds of reasons.
 
Just go the nursing route in undergrad (take premed prereqs too) so at least you get a career out of it. If med school doesn't happen, and it probably won't with those restrictions. You can go NP or crna if you can find a local place.

Don't put chasing medicine before your kids
 
C'mon, Philly (four schools, five if you're a rock star for U Penn), VCU, and EVMS aren't that far away. Neither is U MD if you relocate to MD.

EDIT: forgot about JHU. Rock star territory again.

I've had a student with kids who lived apart from her husband for the first two years of med school. Dads too. I've had single moms as students as well.

I can't recommend applying to only two schools. It's a waste of time with a "X or Y or bust" attitude.


I live in the DC area and the only schools I can hope to get into are Georgetown and George Washington.

I can't move due to custody and my husband's job.

Anyone else in a similar position?

I start college for the first time next fall. I'm going to be a non-trad at 30 years old.