Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Resume and shadowing questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by tony729, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tony729

tony729 2+ Year Member

I am currently working on my resume and aacomas application. I had shadowed a dentist during the summer before college and was wondering if adding that in to my application would be good or bad.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AlteredScale

AlteredScale Staff Member SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unless you are planning on a DO DMD/DDS dual degree then I would refrain from putting this on your application. It holds no real bearing on the application and id suggest putting something else there.

yankees527 and verynice like this.
  4. tony729

tony729 2+ Year Member

thank you. I was thinking it could potentially hurt my application because it shows a bit of indecisiveness.

5. AlteredScale

Medical Student
    Nah it won't hurt your application, but it will be questionable as to why you would add dentistry experience to an application to medical school.

Not a big deal.

6. tony729

tony729 2+ Year Member

If I was to include it, then would it be better to show how that experience strengthened my decision of becoming a physician?

7. AlteredScale

Medical Student
    Don't include it. When you write your personal statement and when/if you receive secondaries then include there if it was significant in your decision to pursue medicine.

And by that I mean use about half a sentence to describe that your first interest in the health professions was dentistry and explain why you made the shift from dentistry to medicine.

8. SynapticDoctah

SynapticDoctah 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had the same experience. I shadowed a dentist as well a while ago. I would not list it. It isn't going to help/hurt you in my opinion. This is like trying out for a baseball team and then saying you have basketball experience. It isn't going to HELP, but it won't HURT.

9. tony729

tony729 2+ Year Member

ok thank you, I have decide not to include it

AlteredScale likes this.
  10. AlteredScale

Medical Student

No problem. feel free to PM me if anymore questions arise.

About the ads