Resume building during gap year(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phunky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to do premed late in college. My numbers are above average, but my extracurriculars are pretty lacking. I'm about to start applying to gap year clinical research positions (probably for two years). I didn't really start any real ECs until my senior year, because I was still maturing, but now I want to devote my life to medicine and make up for lost time. If my undergrad ECs are lacking, can I make up for that doing research, volunteering, and clinical work for a couple years after college and still have a shot at a top 20 school, or is it too late to make a good impression at this point? I could probably gain hundreds of hours of volunteering and clinical experience during this time, and probably become author on a few papers, possibly even first author based on what the research groups I've been talking to have been telling me about past RAs. I just don't know how much my first 3 years of college can hurt me.

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely possible to catch up, just make sure that you get a good position for the next year or two that can potentially get you a publication or at least good exposure to research. Almost all of my medically related activities were within 2-3 years of matriculating to medical school, so it is certainly not too late. That said, I do hope you still had other EC's in college, even if they weren't medically relevant.

I decided to do premed late in college. My numbers are above average, but my extracurriculars are pretty lacking. I'm about to start applying to gap year clinical research positions (probably for two years). I didn't really start any real ECs until my senior year, because I was still maturing, but now I want to devote my life to medicine and make up for lost time. If my undergrad ECs are lacking, can I make up for that doing research, volunteering, and clinical work for a couple years after college and still have a shot at a top 20 school, or is it too late to make a good impression at this point? I could probably gain hundreds of hours of volunteering and clinical experience during this time, and probably become author on a few papers, possibly even first author based on what the research groups I've been talking to have been telling me about past RAs. I just don't know how much my first 3 years of college can hurt me.

Of the interviews I've attended so far, 2 out of 24 applicants there were coming straight from undergrad so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

It is very important to have volunteering in a hospital/medical setting. I've been asked multiple times about "meaningful patient interactions" and "what clinical experiences make you want to pursue medicine." Make sure you boost that section of your ECs.

I'm currently doing a year of translational research while applying and the experience seems to be very well received.