"Resume Padding" - Can adcoms tell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rejuvenation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I hope this is the right place to post this and hasn't already been asked a million times, but I just have a question about the topic of "resume padding" in med school applications and resumes in general while applying for jobs/research positions/etc.

Personally, I want to only include worthwhile and meaningful experiences I've been involved in long-term on my application, but I know that a large amount of people tend to "fluff" their application by making their sub-par extracurriculars or clubs they were minimally involved in sound more important than they actually were. Now, before I realized I was wasting my time, I was involved in quite a lot of these "leadership roles" and "club executive" positions. Although I wasn't really making a huge contribution to society or enjoying them in the slightest (compared to things I'm involved in now that I'm actually passionate about), those roles did require a lot of time/work/energy and achieved goals in their own right. I wasn't going to include them in my application, but I realize that since the vast majority of applicants will have them anyways, should I do it so the adcoms won't think I'm lacking experience in those areas as well?

For example, I was the head events coordinator of a conference in my city and organized an event that raised thousands of dollars, but I recently saw a girl's Linkedin in my committee who worked under my guidance and, where she said she was the main coordinator of the event and made it sound like she held a lot of responsibility (when in fact, I don't remember her really doing anything...). And the thing is, I doubt when she applies the adcoms will actually call up a reference to confirm what she actually did or did not do.

So basically, I guess my question is, can adcoms recognize who is "resume padding" from who's not, and should I even include those roles in my application, if a lot people are going to have similar things from exaggerating their responsibilities in these role anyways? I feel like including them might show adcoms I'm just fluffing up my app, but at the same time I feel like if I exclude them I may seem less experienced than other applicants even when I have been involved in such activities in the past. Can someone offer any advice? :(

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

They'll determine this during the interview; it all depends on how you come across when these activities are discussed.

They'll determine this during the interview; it all depends on how you come across when these activities are discussed.

That makes sense, but should I even include them in the first place? I feel like I wouldn't have much positive to say about those experiences in the interview lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

That makes sense, but should I even include them in the first place? I feel like I wouldn't have much positive to say about those experiences in the interview lol.

If you're going for honesty, I would emphasize the hard work you put in. I'm applying too and I've had to think about what I should put on AMCAS. I went with simplifying, and then I'll embellish during the interview. But unfortunately I'm really not the expert here.

As someone that has read applications it can even be obvious on paper. Things that are vaguely and/or abstractly described probably weren't that important and/or the applicant didn't actually do much.

But yes, even if you're capable of faking it on paper it will likely be obvious in the interview.

(sent from my phone)

As someone that has read applications it can even be obvious on paper. Things that are vaguely and/or abstractly described probably weren't that important and/or the applicant didn't actually do much.

But yes, even if you're capable of faking it on paper it will likely be obvious in the interview.

(sent from my phone)

Thoughts on including a volunteer activity started in June 2012, with 15-20 hours committed so far? Or leave that for secondaries, or even for an interview "surprise"?

Last edited:
Thoughts on including a volunteer activity started in June 2012, with 15-20 hours committed so far? Or leave that for secondaries, or even for an interview "surprise"?

Mention it as early as possible and say it's ongoing. It's pretty hard to mention a "surprise" activity in an interview if you don't get the interview in the first place.

If you're going for honesty, I would emphasize the hard work you put in. I'm applying too and I've had to think about what I should put on AMCAS. I went with simplifying, and then I'll embellish during the interview. But unfortunately I'm really not the expert here.

I would go ahead and list it and explain your hard work during the interviews.

Mention it as early as possible and say it's ongoing. It's pretty hard to mention a "surprise" activity in an interview if you don't get the interview in the first place.

Yup thanks I was thinking along those lines. I started two volunteer activities in June and I don't want it look like I'm padding my application. But I'll include just because I've committed 35 hours to them so far and will continue them up until medical school, probably.