Retail company benefits package comparisons...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmislyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a current P4 student and am trying to get a little bit more information about what sets different retail/grocery chains (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, rite aid, Costco, H-E-B, etc.) apart from one another in terms of overall picture, including: PTO, health insurance, dental, holidays, hours needed for benefits, starting avg pay, guaranteed hours per week, etc. If you could include the areas where certain pays/hours are offered that would also help a ton!

P.S. I already am well aware of the job market for pharmacists and how new grads “don’t have the ability to choose” or “need to take whatever comes their way regardless”, but please just humor me and answer my main question if you could without any negative comments as I can find that on many other threads to read about that! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From what I've heard from hires, Rite Aid currently starting off at around $52~ an hour but because of how many store closures they had, most of the positions are usually part time or floating within a fairly large distance (Friend told me hes had to commute an hour+ for every other shift). Walgreens new grad starting seems to have dropped to currently $49.45/hr with floating positions being given 40 hours a week which FT positions have dropped to 35 hours a week in some areas. CVS seems to be a mixed bag when it comes to wage as I've heard anywhere from $53 and hour to $60 an hour depending on location. CVS I heard givens the most benefits but also has the lowest retention rate for employees because it is supposedly the most stressful of the big 3.

From what I've heard from hires, Rite Aid currently starting off at around $52~ an hour but because of how many store closures they had, most of the positions are usually part time or floating within a fairly large distance (Friend told me hes had to commute an hour+ for every other shift). Walgreens new grad starting seems to have dropped to currently $49.45/hr with floating positions being given 40 hours a week which FT positions have dropped to 35 hours a week in some areas. CVS seems to be a mixed bag when it comes to wage as I've heard anywhere from $53 and hour to $60 an hour depending on location. CVS I heard givens the most benefits but also has the lowest retention rate for employees because it is supposedly the most stressful of the big 3.
Thanks so much for the quick response!! Would you mind elaborating what area these salaries were reported? Regarding benefits for CVS, what do you mean by most? More PTO? Better insurance?

Salaries from various cities located in NYS and NJ. I'm not sure about other stats but I did hear some other states have lower starting salaries. By most I meant I heard CVS offers the best insurance related benefits.

Reactions: 1 user