Retail Job Seeking/Timing

Started by cjb56
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cjb56

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I begin my APPE's this August, graduate pharm school in early June of 2014, and plan to take the licensing exams right away. I know I can network for retail jobs as I am doing my APPE's, but when is it appropriate to actually apply for openings at retail chains? After I graduate? A little bit before? After I take the boards?

Thanks.
 
My retail chain only interviewed current interns (June-August). Interviews were set up through our school. After this whole interview process, districts looking to make additional hires interviewed non-intern candidates.
 
My school set up interviews with different community pharmacy chains around October of my P4 year, some of the chains interviewed their own interns before this. Job offers started popping up around late December for some people.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. Our career day is at the end of July. My question is more about applying to online openings for chains. At what point is it appropriate to apply. After licensing? Before, but close to licensing? Before that? I searched other threads on the forum and never found an answer to when it is appropriate to apply for an actual pharmacist position at a chain.
 
Thanks. Our career day is at the end of July. My question is more about applying to online openings for chains. At what point is it appropriate to apply. After licensing? Before, but close to licensing? Before that? I searched other threads on the forum and never found an answer to when it is appropriate to apply for an actual pharmacist position at a chain.

I would apply before you set up interviews, if that is what your career day will entail. So maybe 2 weeks before your career day, then when you interview they will already have a file on you to look at/ you can tell recruiters you have already submitted an application. If your career day does not have any interviews involved I would speak with the students in the class above you and see how they set things up.
 
Thanks. Yes, we do have interviews that we can choose to set up for career day. As far as applying in advance, how would that work? For example, I go to Walmart's website and see an opening for a staff pharmacist in Anytown, USA, but I would not have even started my APPE's until after my career day. I can always ask people here at the school, but I also wanted to get some input from the SDN community.
 
I begin my APPE's this August, graduate pharm school in early June of 2014, and plan to take the licensing exams right away. I know I can network for retail jobs as I am doing my APPE's, but when is it appropriate to actually apply for openings at retail chains? After I graduate? A little bit before? After I take the boards?

Thanks.

Interview day at your school is probably the best way to get a retail job or lead to one. Since u haven't even started APPE yet it won't do you any good applying to jobs right now. Then after your interview day get in touch with the district managers or recruiters and ask if they got your application from interview day or not, what's next in the progress, etc... Chances are you won't get an offer right away from interview day but you will at least get pointed in the right direction.
 
Interview day at your school is probably the best way to get a retail job or lead to one. Since u haven't even started APPE yet it won't do you any good applying to jobs right now. Then after your interview day get in touch with the district managers or recruiters and ask if they got your application from interview day or not, what's next in the progress, etc... Chances are you won't get an offer right away from interview day but you will at least get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks a lot! All the answers were helpful, but this was what I was looking for.