Retail: % of Controlled Substances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FMLazole

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retail Pharmacies,

Do any of you know what percentage of controlled substances (in relation to total script volume) your pharmacy does? I was just trying to get an idea of what the norm is. I do not know an easy way to look at these thing on a week-by-week basis, but I just used last week as an example:

• 2350 Total Rxs
    • 2032 Non-Controlled- 86.5%
    • 318 Controlled (C II-V)- 13.5%
      • 251 C III-V (113 Hyrdocodone, 77 BZDs)
      • 67 C II (27 Oxycodone)
I feel like these numbers should be on par with most retail pharmacies. The 67 C-II's (which is nearly 3% of total RX volume) seems a bit high, especially when factoring in all the "maintenance med refills". I did not check to see what % of "new scripts" this was. Just curious if anyone else out there knows their #'s or knows what's considered the norm.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never looked at my numbers or broken them down like that, but I'm sure my percentages are higher based on age, occupational history and other demographics of my patients. Many of my patients are/were manual laborers (lumber mill, mining, construction, etc) . We also have a large homeless/mental health population that increases our BZD dispensing on top of other psych meds.

I think about 10% are controlled of any kind. Not sure about C2 breakdown but we don't get that many, mostly dispense Norco's or BZDs. LOOTSAAA BZDs though for sleep, Californians <3 bzds (whereas Florida likes the oxy lol). Percocets or oxys are rare at my pharmacy.