Retail or Clinical: need help and suggestions?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

icekitsune

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a P1 and had a career day today. I talked to a pharmacist who's currently working for VA (departments of veterans affairs) and told me that they are looking for a student intern for clinical outpatient pharmacy, near where i live and if i'm interested to send him an resume.

I want to know exactly what clinical pharmacy is and the work it consists of. I'm also concerned if i'm too uneducated for this job (feels like i don't know much). I heard working in as a clinical pharmacist, other health care professionals will rely on you (what if you did recall the wrong drug or dose?)

Additionally, I also want to do retail internship as well in Wegmans. I'm not sure if I should apply and send my resume to both va and wegmans because what would happen if i got accepted to both? Thank you very much!
 
If you don't want the VA job, give it to me 🙂 I've been trying to hunt down people at my local VA to talk about working there, unsuccessfully.
Definitely do VA. Not sure if you've heard that the pharmacists there have an increased scope of practice (many MTM opportunities there compared to some other health systems).
But send an application to both. You could always decline one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand that it can be awkward to turn down good opportunities, but it's nothing personal. Keep in mind that this is a business decision... You have to do what's best for you in the end.

If I were you, I would apply to both internships. Especially if the VA is only hiring "a student intern," maximizing your options will be key. If you get offers from both the VA and Wegmans - great! Make your decision then.
 
I love retail and I have been doing it for 33 years if you count my student days. If you think there is no clinical skills required in a retail setting you are sadly mistaken.

That being said, if you get the opportunity to do an internship and make contacts at the VA, it's something you cannot turn down. Apply for both and accept the one that works best for you....