retail pharm tech exp.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today was my first day as a pharm tech in a retail pharmacy and I must say, I HATE IT! I was just working and thinking, "Man, how can anyone do this as a career and why would any pharmacist want to do this?!?" I use to be a pharm tech at a ambulatory clinic which I liked much more but this retail thing just sucks. I know there are some people out there that like the retail side and I'm not trying to bash em in any way but I just don't think it's for me. The reason I changed from the ambulatory clinic to retail was so that I could experience both sides and although the work sucks, I'm glad I made the switch b/c it made me realize that retail pharmacy isn't for me. I don't know, I just had to vent, it was just a long and confusing day.

Members don't see this ad.

bananaface said:
Alot of times it depends on the store you work at. If I had started off at Walgreens I would have hated pharmacy. :laugh:

Ah!! I work at Walgreens now... and yeah, things get crazy and sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for wanting to be a pharmacist. But its not that bad. Sometimes I wish I just had more time at work to learn about all the pharmaceuticals and spent less time folding instructions and filling up bottles.

PharmEm said:
Today was my first day as a pharm tech in a retail pharmacy and I must say, I HATE IT! I was just working and thinking, "Man, how can anyone do this as a career and why would any pharmacist want to do this?!?" I use to be a pharm tech at a ambulatory clinic which I liked much more but this retail thing just sucks. I know there are some people out there that like the retail side and I'm not trying to bash em in any way but I just don't think it's for me. The reason I changed from the ambulatory clinic to retail was so that I could experience both sides and although the work sucks, I'm glad I made the switch b/c it made me realize that retail pharmacy isn't for me. I don't know, I just had to vent, it was just a long and confusing day.
Remember that retail can vary WIDELY from store to store. If you are in a very busy store, the first day can literally be overwhelming. My suggestion is to give it a month or two and then see how you feel. Once you know the computer system some and start recognizing some of the patients, then it might feel a little more comfortable to you.