Retail Pharmacist to Pharmacy Benefit Analyst

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxlawreview

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of applying for this job opportunity with Booz Allen Hamilton... Anyone have experience working with them? Any insights? I am looking for a change from retail and work in a different environment.. Any feedback will be appreciated..

I am a retail pharmacist with 5 years experience licensed in 5 states

Members don't see this ad.

That's the company that Snowden worked for and also that other CIA contractor that just got arrested. I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you handsome? That's going to matter for the interview with them.

Riffing off Chalupa, the civil service makes a game out of screwing BAH consultants over, especially because BAH only sends stupid or bent people, Uncle Sam gets what he pays for with lowest bidder. By the way, I'd lay some good odds that this contract is related to the NCPDP connections from plans to CMS. Getting in the middle of that one could blacklist you in the industry permanently like what happened to the ObamaCare pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you handsome? That's going to matter for the interview with them.

Riffing off Chalupa, the civil service makes a game out of screwing BAH consultants over, especially because BAH only sends stupid or bent people, Uncle Sam gets what he pays for with lowest bidder. By the way, I'd lay some good odds that this contract is related to the NCPDP connections from plans to CMS. Getting in the middle of that one could blacklist you in the industry permanently like what happened to the ObamaCare pharmacists.

What happened with the Obamacare pharmacists?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Let's just say nobody gave them tic tacs and took them furniture shopping before they moved on them like a B****.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll need another analogy to really get the full picture here...

Reactions: 1 users
Explicit terminology: Every single pharmacist who worked on that website project from the Verizon Terremark contractors was placed on the LEIE list as the HHS IG was pretty pissed about the level of fraud they signed off on.

Government terminology (Donkey Barbecue): The Terremark pharmacists were marinated with fraud sauce and served at the Obamacare donkey barbecue, where everyone leaves with a hot piece of [their] ass.

Reactions: 1 users
Explicit terminology: Every single pharmacist who worked on that website project from the Verizon Terremark contractors was placed on the LEIE list as the HHS IG was pretty pissed about the level of fraud they signed off on.

Government terminology (Donkey Barbecue): The Terremark pharmacists were marinated with fraud sauce and served at the Obamacare donkey barbecue, where everyone leaves with a hot piece of [their] ass.

guys for real...I really need simpler analogies as I am not in these roles...;lol. So basically whoever worked on the Obamacare website committed career suicide? I find that very hard to believe and very unjust. Can they just not list that as part of their employment history?

guys for real...I really need simpler analogies as I am not in these roles...;lol. So basically whoever worked on the Obamacare website committed career suicide? I find that very hard to believe and very unjust. Can they just not list that as part of their employment history?

Yes, and being put on the LEIE list (aka the HHS exclusionary list) makes you unemployable for most chains as anywhere you would work would disqualify that store or hospital from accepting government insurance (either Medicaid, Medicare, or FEHB). For AZ for any clinical license, it's a suspension/revocation on moral turpitude grounds automatically to be placed on that list.

So no, having some internal knowledge of the circumstances, I can assure you that the LEIE placement was not unjust, and their actions directly and unequivocally screwed over a bunch of Medicaid recipients through lost in transition. That's actually not necessarily what got them the career death penalty, you just get fired for that at worst. They got it, because they falsified a bunch of the documentation and signups, and they did the additional imbecility of lying to the IG investigators (kind of like your State Board, except the ones that showed up actually had ranks like "Special Agent in Charge" and had police authority) which was why they got cooked. What happened to BAH? Big fine, no big deal. They blamed their employees for violating their ethical commitments and hung them out to dry. But, like falsifying control substance inventories, falsifying insurance data are easy grounds for license discipline simply because the politics are so straightforward. For BAH, it's another day in the business.

To the OP, BAH as a company has always been at the edge of ethical behavior (not like what we complain about in Walgreens or CVS, while they're hard on their workers, they are really well-known to not have fraud or scam issues with their business partners). They are usually hired in circumstances where no civil servant would actually do the work as there would be a moral or ethical opposition to it. Think about it as you apply. If you're the next hot piece of ass at a donkey barbecue though, BAH and the civil service won't miss you. If the company is a real screwup (like CSC, CACI, or RGI), they'll rename themselves and sell their performing assets to a shell corporation leaving the rest to die in the bankruptcy. Standard government-private business operating procedure for the questionable work.

Yes, and being put on the LEIE list (aka the HHS exclusionary list) makes you unemployable for most chains as anywhere you would work would disqualify that store or hospital from accepting government insurance (either Medicaid, Medicare, or FEHB). For AZ for any clinical license, it's a suspension/revocation on moral turpitude grounds automatically to be placed on that list.

So no, having some internal knowledge of the circumstances, I can assure you that the LEIE placement was not unjust, and their actions directly and unequivocally screwed over a bunch of Medicaid recipients through lost in transition. That's actually not necessarily what got them the career death penalty, you just get fired for that at worst. They got it, because they falsified a bunch of the documentation and signups, and they did the additional imbecility of lying to the IG investigators (kind of like your State Board, except the ones that showed up actually had ranks like "Special Agent in Charge" and had police authority) which was why they got cooked. What happened to BAH? Big fine, no big deal. They blamed their employees for violating their ethical commitments and hung them out to dry. But, like falsifying control substance inventories, falsifying insurance data are easy grounds for license discipline simply because the politics are so straightforward. For BAH, it's another day in the business.

To the OP, BAH as a company has always been at the edge of ethical behavior (not like what we complain about in Walgreens or CVS, while they're hard on their workers, they are really well-known to not have fraud or scam issues with their business partners). They are usually hired in circumstances where no civil servant would actually do the work as there would be a moral or ethical opposition to it. Think about it as you apply. If you're the next hot piece of ass at a donkey barbecue though, BAH and the civil service won't miss you. If the company is a real screwup (like CSC, CACI, or RGI), they'll rename themselves and sell their performing assets to a shell corporation leaving the rest to die in the bankruptcy. Standard government-private business operating procedure for the questionable work.

Ahh..now that you explained it...they deserved what they got. I thought these pharmacists were just so happened to be employed while all these sheenanigans were happening and they just happened to take the fall for other people's doing.

Ahh..now that you explained it...they deserved what they got. I thought these pharmacists were just so happened to be employed while all these sheenanigans were happening and they just happened to take the fall for other people's doing.

That would have been cause enough actually, and that happened to some of them too; they were placed for failing to take action. So, the downside to regulatory pharmacy is always that you have a positive duty (meaning being a bystander or not knowing is problematic as well as the offense). Everyone works for a living, some more direct than others. Think of that the next time you run into upper management or consultants in terms of their job. Pharmacists who serve in regulatory control positions rarely get fired or disciplined over them personally screwing up (that's fairly impossible for that stage), but they have management responsibility for letting a situation that they should know should be fixed get out of control. It is not as easy as just doing your job in that career path. I would roast their asses without a problem because it is their job to know these things, saying that you had no idea or control is an offense as serious as falsifying in that circumstance.

It's why I carry E&O insurance for those contracts and don't do this except for pocket change. The first rule of consultant work is to know when to walk away from an unwinnable situation to live to fight another day. There are reasons why civil service won't attempt certain projects. There's also some pharmaceutical contracts that no one in the business will take without big money on the table, and its why I don't/won't work on contingency (basically structured that you get paid if the drug gets approved or the task is done) as that sort of incentive structure rewards the worst sort of behavior to make sure you get paid. BAH was in a contingency contract for delivery of the website, do you think they care about a couple of disposable associates getting career blacklists as a result? Absolutely not if the managing partner still gets paid.

Welcome to the wild world of management consulting. Do unto others before they can do to you.

That would have been cause enough actually, and that happened to some of them too; they were placed for failing to take action. So, the downside to regulatory pharmacy is always that you have a positive duty (meaning being a bystander or not knowing is problematic as well as the offense). Everyone works for a living, some more direct than others. Think of that the next time you run into upper management or consultants in terms of their job. Pharmacists who serve in regulatory control positions rarely get fired or disciplined over them personally screwing up (that's fairly impossible for that stage), but they have management responsibility for letting a situation that they should know should be fixed get out of control. It is not as easy as just doing your job in that career path. I would roast their asses without a problem because it is their job to know these things, saying that you had no idea or control is an offense as serious as falsifying in that circumstance.

It's why I carry E&O insurance for those contracts and don't do this except for pocket change. The first rule of consultant work is to know when to walk away from an unwinnable situation to live to fight another day. There are reasons why civil service won't attempt certain projects. There's also some pharmaceutical contracts that no one in the business will take without big money on the table, and its why I don't/won't work on contingency (basically structured that you get paid if the drug gets approved or the task is done) as that sort of incentive structure rewards the worst sort of behavior to make sure you get paid. BAH was in a contingency contract for delivery of the website, do you think they care about a couple of disposable associates getting career blacklists as a result? Absolutely not if the managing partner still gets paid.

Welcome to the wild world of management consulting. Do unto others before they can do to you.

The world is what it is I guess. It's so disparaging that integrity is often sidelined for money and personal gain. Those that do the most damage are often shielded behind a corporate veil.