konkan

coup de grace
10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
310
19
Status
Pharmacist
What do you think retail pharmacy will look like in 10,15,20 years? I've been hearing from "there will be no pharmacies (like Walgreens, CVS) at all, only ATM type of machines at gas stations or something" (one of my professors theory) to "pharmacies will become kind of outpatient clinical settings". Although I believe true is as always somewhere in between of the extremes, what do you think? Any "rumors", predictions, thoughts?
 

sdn1977

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
3,547
18
Status
I have no predictions or rumors, but I've always believed change is a good thing. So.....yes, I hope it does change & I have every hope it will be for the better.

Some of the recent changes - Medicare Part D, for example, have been poorly thought out & really, I fault not just the politicians, but also the leadership within our profession. We allowed some of this to happen by not being proactive enough.

If the change is going to be beneficial to our profession (which hopefully also benefits the patients and prescribers as well) - it needs to be a cohesive effort. It shouldn't be driven by the bottom line of money, but professionalism, good therapeutics and incorporating technology to make drug processing safer and information easier to access and portable between facilities.

I feel there is a lot of opportunity within pharmacy to have the business minded folks pursue an MBA or MPH to help develop rational drug policies which benefit all concerned. Just an opinion!
 

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
3,407
6
Dallas, TX
Status
sdn1977 said:
I have no predictions or rumors, but I've always believed change is a good thing. So.....yes, I hope it does change & I have every hope it will be for the better.

Some of the recent changes - Medicare Part D, for example, have been poorly thought out & really, I fault not just the politicians, but also the leadership within our profession. We allowed some of this to happen by not being proactive enough.

If the change is going to be beneficial to our profession (which hopefully also benefits the patients and prescribers as well) - it needs to be a cohesive effort. It shouldn't be driven by the bottom line of money, but professionalism, good therapeutics and incorporating technology to make drug processing safer and information easier to access and portable between facilities.

I feel there is a lot of opportunity within pharmacy to have the business minded folks pursue an MBA or MPH to help develop rational drug policies which benefit all concerned. Just an opinion!

:love:
 

pharmwannebe2

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
574
3
Flipadelphia, PA
Status
Pharmacy Student
konkan said:
What do you think retail pharmacy will look like in 10,15,20 years? I've been hearing from "there will be no pharmacies (like Walgreens, CVS) at all, only ATM type of machines at gas stations or something" (one of my professors theory) to "pharmacies will become kind of outpatient clinical settings". Although I believe true is as always somewhere in between of the extremes, what do you think? Any "rumors", predictions, thoughts?

i think our jobs are going to go to mexico or those asian countries. kinda like the factory jobs that make up middle america....hopefully this will happen when i am long gone lol.

i think there won't be any pharmacies soon. it will all be mail in prescriptions to poor countries
 

shamaze

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
7
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
I work for Walgreens and I know they have started doing the remote verification which is where a pharmacist in another slower location can review prescriptions for a pharmacist at a busier store. I think there is even talks of maybe having pharmacists that can work from home. It sounds nice but it is still new.
 

sdn1977

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
3,547
18
Status
Remote verification from home has been standard in hospitals here for awhile. I'm not sure it is outside the realm of what retail pharmacy can offer.

However....I just worked with a graduate intern pharmcist who was awaiting board results. This individual did not know what she was verifying when the verification screen appeared. She was just willing to verify...I never let my password out because of this. She had great book knowledge, but, no common sense. This is the problem with doing blanket remote verifications - there is no common sense involved!

However...the technology is very valuable in the right setting. And...no...I do not feel this will be outsourced - just my own opinion....
 

baggywrinkle

cranky old fart
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2003
549
4
Tacoma, Washington
Visit site
Status
pharmwannebe2 said:
i think our jobs are going to go to mexico or those asian countries. kinda like the factory jobs that make up middle america....hopefully this will happen when i am long gone lol.

i think there won't be any pharmacies soon. it will all be mail in prescriptions to poor countries
Relax, it won't happen if the state boards have anything to say about it and
believe me the state boards have plenty to say about it. There is a movement
among state boards to require pharmacists involved in mail order operations to be licensed in the state they are mailing to. Something to do with accountability. When your mail order script arrives consisting of an unlabeled
baggie of unidentifiable capsules the board wants to be able to hang someone. Thus the requirement for jurisdiction.

This movement will rule out the pharmacy mail order operation in Bangladesh
because in order to be licensed in any state of the union you must be a graduate of an AMERICAN (Or Canadian) school of pharmacy. Australians are
out, Brits are out. Mexicans are out.

Now if you, as a graduate of an American school of Pharmacy want to go to Bangladesh and open up a mail order operation knock yourself out. It will be held to American practice standards or your mailings will be seized by the state attourney general.
 

Requiem

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
950
4
Status
pharmwannebe2 said:
i think our jobs are going to go to mexico or those asian countries. kinda like the factory jobs that make up middle america....hopefully this will happen when i am long gone lol.

i think there won't be any pharmacies soon. it will all be mail in prescriptions to poor countries

Hhahahahahaha holy god.

When I read your sig I thought, ok this person clearly has a brutal sense of humor but I still gave you a chance as a future pharmacist. This has single handedly labelled you.

WHY THE HELL WOULD WE MAIL PRESCRIPTIONS TO INDIA
SDKLJFLKSDFJLKDSFLJ
 

dirtyart

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
19
0
Status
I don't know how long it will take, but my belief is that eventually all pharmacies will be on-line. In fact, I imagine all brick & mortar stores to become on-line exclusive somewhere down the line.

If possible, buy stocks in UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. :idea:
 

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
2,544
579
Innisfree
Status
Pharmacist
I think it will be a long time before all people are technologically savvy, educated, and proactive enough to utilize only mail-order. You know perfectly well, if you've worked retail, that people do NOT always plan ahead and cannot depend solely on mail-order even for their maintenance medications. People will also always need medications for acute problems and I don't see how that can be managed by on-line or mail-order pharmacies :confused:
 

MDavoodi_Co

Illiterate
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2005
42
0
Beverly Hills & Westwood
Status
Pre-Dental
Right now, although most people don't know it yet (millions of you will disagree with me on this, thats your opinions and i'm open to debate) the rockefellers control most pharmecudical companies behind the scenes. Now, most pharmecudical companies hire lobyists to do their dirty works like media relations and fda approvals. But, the problem with pharmecudical drugs for the future is that more and more people are realizing the company's dirty tricks and politician's conviction with lobyist ties. On top of that people hate the dangerous side effects of drugs increasingly-----> so more and more people are learning towards natural medicines(You'd be surprised how many people). What's worse for pharmecudical business is media's openness (No insertion orders are publicly broad casted channels) to new natural medicines as apposed to oil based drugs (pharmecudical ones that are patented), so, to answer ur Question...... pharmecudical business in the future is a huge risk, especially if ur talking long term. -AGAIN, i'm open to all kinds of debates on this (just don't hate). :thumbup:
 

sdn1977

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
3,547
18
Status
MDavoodi_Co said:
Right now, although most people don't know it yet (millions of you will disagree with me on this, thats your opinions and i'm open to debate) the rockefellers control most pharmecudical companies behind the scenes. Now, most pharmecudical companies hire lobyists to do their dirty works like media relations and fda approvals. But, the problem with pharmecudical drugs for the future is that more and more people are realizing the company's dirty tricks and politician's conviction with lobyist ties. On top of that people hate the dangerous side effects of drugs increasingly-----> so more and more people are learning towards natural medicines(You'd be surprised how many people). What's worse for pharmecudical business is media's openness (No insertion orders are publicly broad casted channels) to new natural medicines as apposed to oil based drugs (pharmecudical ones that are patented), so, to answer ur Question...... pharmecudical business in the future is a huge risk, especially if ur talking long term. -AGAIN, i'm open to all kinds of debates on this (just don't hate). :thumbup:
I'm not even sure what to debate here....I certainly don't hate & would be happy to enter into a discussion. But....you have the Rockefellers, drug side effects, politicians & dirty tricks all in one thought/paragraph. If you can break this down a bit more it would be helpful.

Oh....also....its "pharmaceuticals", but thats just being nit-pickey on my part.
 

BME103

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 27, 2003
172
1
Visit site
Status
You guys need to wake up and smell the vicodin. The profession of pharmacy is secure and that won't change in the near future. Changes will occur. However, they will not be dramatic because pharmacy is so regulated and political that any change will take some time.

I believe some of the above posts are inaccurate. The claim that pharmacists will be outsourced is one of them. If the FDA doesn't allow U.S. citizens to import drugs from Canada, what make you think they will let us import drugs from third world countries like India? There are just too many huddles for this to happen. In addition, pharmacy will not become an "exclusive online business" simply because we would rather get something as important as our medications from a pharmacist than a mailman. It is just our nature. However, the internet will support the business (e.g. online refills). The pharmaceutical industry is doing just fine. It is one of the most profitable and powerful industries in the U.S. That will not change in our life time.

I, however, believe the working conditions and environment will change. The business of pharmacy will become more competitive and as a result, the retails will find more creative ways to stay competitive and to cut cost. In addition, as the number of prescriptions expected to increase for years to come, pharmacists will not only have to work harder but they will be pressured to provide better "customer service". As a result, there will be less time for "patient" interaction and the push for "patient care" in the retail setting will not happen. The retails understand that customer service, not patient care, is the primarily driving force of their business. This is why the role of a pharmacist will become more similar to that of a secretary than a health care provider.
 

MDavoodi_Co

Illiterate
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2005
42
0
Beverly Hills & Westwood
Status
Pre-Dental
sdn1977 said:
I'm not even sure what to debate here....I certainly don't hate & would be happy to enter into a discussion. But....you have the Rockefellers, drug side effects, politicians & dirty tricks all in one thought/paragraph. If you can break this down a bit more it would be helpful.

Oh....also....its "pharmaceuticals", but thats just being nit-pickey on my part.
GOOD!. Just say ur opinion. How do u feel about "pharmaceutical" companies hiring lobyists to pay off politicians? how do you think it affects medicine, as for the rockefellors and dirty tricks, I done my research.... I'm not only a pred, trust me.
 

MDavoodi_Co

Illiterate
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2005
42
0
Beverly Hills & Westwood
Status
Pre-Dental
BME103 said:
You guys need to wake up and smell the vicodin. The profession of pharmacy is secure and that won't change in the near future. Changes will occur. However, they will not be dramatic because pharmacy is so regulated that any change will take some time.

I believe some of the above posts are inaccurate. The claim that pharmacists will be outsourced is one of them. If the FDA doesn't allow U.S. citizens to import drugs from Canada, what make you think they will let us import drugs from third world countries like India? There are just too many huddles for this to happen. In addition, pharmacy will not become an "exclusive online business" simply because we would rather get something as important as our medications from a pharmacist than a mailman. It is just our nature. However, the internet will support the business (e.g. online refills). The pharmaceutical industry is doing just fine. It is one of the most profitable and powerful industries in the U.S. That will not change in our life time.

I, however, believe the working conditions and environment will change. The business of pharmacy will become more competitive and as a result, the retails will find more creative ways to stay competitive and to cut cost. In addition, as the number of prescriptions expected to increase for years to come, pharmacists will not only have to work harder but they will be pressured to provide better "customer service". As a result, there will be less time for "patient" interaction and the push for "patient care" in the retail setting will not happen. The retails understand that customer service, not patient care, is the primarily driving force of their business. This is why the role of a pharmacist will become more similar to that of a secretary than a health care provider.
~~~> Good Point buddy, now read this:
Do you know why the FDA doesn't allow citizens to bring drugs from canda? Lets take a look:
FDA says the reason for this is that "those drugs are either unsafe or ineffective." HMMMm, why do you think fda says that????? fda approves drugs patented by U.S comapnies that kills hundereds if not millions every year. AND, most drugs in canada are the same drugs in the U.S!!!! .Then why does FDA not allow drug trade from Canada? The answer is in American pharmaceutical companies themselves. They'll run outta business if people brought drugs from any country! (Thats were my thread comes in, lobysists, deep pockets, politicians)

Your right that this secures pharmaceutical business; However, more and more people are learning more and more about the above statement. You be the judge.
 

JackFruitLover

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2005
133
5
Status
BME103 said:
what make you think they will let us import drugs from third world countries like India?
I work at CVS pharmacies and a lot of the generic medications come from Indian owned companies such as Ranbaxy, Dr. Reddy Lab, and other companies. We have 4 shelves full of antibiotic generics that are produced by Ranbaxy. Just because India is a third world country doesn't mean they do not have the capability to produce drugs that are up to the standards of the USA.
 

BME103

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 27, 2003
172
1
Visit site
Status
^^I never claimed drugs from other countries are not safe. That is what the FDA claimed. I included that statement to show the degree of politics in the drug business and how any change in profession will require more time because of it.

The Canadian government regulates price controls on drugs. This is why brand name drugs such as Lipitor and Plavix are cheaper in Canada. However, generic drugs tend to be more expensive in Canada. This is why some U.S. citizens have tried to get their brand name drugs from Canada. However, these drugs are manafactured by the same U.S pharmaceutical companies. So even if the FDA allow drugs from Canada to be imported to the U.S., what would stop Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline, or Bristol-Myers Squibb from not selling their drugs to Canada? Canada cannot simple manafacture those drugs because of patent law and Canada-U.S. trade agreement. It is not as simple as you may think.
 

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
1,616
3
Status
Pharmacy Student
Oh boy, I just can't resist this one...

The Canadian government does not allow the rampant advertising campaigns that we have in the U.S.. Remove all 1 minute Superbowl slots, double page color ads in the NY Times, and <cringes> Nascar hot wheels from the American market and you have the GNP for at least 1/4 of the countries of the world. I think the prices "could" be reduced. Instead, we applaud the laps around the track and laugh over them around the water cooler on Monday morning. Where is Bob Dole anyways?

Americans, in general, complain about rising costs but do nothing to "trim the fat". There is absolutely no reason why there should ever be an ad war between Cialis, Levitra and Viagra. Something is inherently wrong. What benefit does the patient recieve...none.
 

pharmwannebe2

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
574
3
Flipadelphia, PA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Requiem said:
Hhahahahahaha holy god.

When I read your sig I thought, ok this person clearly has a brutal sense of humor but I still gave you a chance as a future pharmacist. This has single handedly labelled you.

WHY THE HELL WOULD WE MAIL PRESCRIPTIONS TO INDIA
SDKLJFLKSDFJLKDSFLJ
ROFL. i should use that as my new sig.

yes i will be a terrible brutal pharmacist. mahahaha. evil laugh*
 

speednutsII

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2005
27
1
Status
Pharmacist
BME103 said:
You guys need to wake up and smell the vicodin. The profession of pharmacy is secure and that won't change in the near future. Changes will occur. However, they will not be dramatic because pharmacy is so regulated and political that any change will take some time.

I believe some of the above posts are inaccurate. The claim that pharmacists will be outsourced is one of them. If the FDA doesn't allow U.S. citizens to import drugs from Canada, what make you think they will let us import drugs from third world countries like India? There are just too many huddles for this to happen. In addition, pharmacy will not become an "exclusive online business" simply because we would rather get something as important as our medications from a pharmacist than a mailman. It is just our nature. However, the internet will support the business (e.g. online refills). The pharmaceutical industry is doing just fine. It is one of the most profitable and powerful industries in the U.S. That will not change in our life time.

I, however, believe the working conditions and environment will change. The business of pharmacy will become more competitive and as a result, the retails will find more creative ways to stay competitive and to cut cost. In addition, as the number of prescriptions expected to increase for years to come, pharmacists will not only have to work harder but they will be pressured to provide better "customer service". As a result, there will be less time for "patient" interaction and the push for "patient care" in the retail setting will not happen. The retails understand that customer service, not patient care, is the primarily driving force of their business. This is why the role of a pharmacist will become more similar to that of a secretary than a health care provider.
Pharmacy, retail pharmacy in particular, has for a long time and continues to be mostly about customer service. I agree with you on that point, but I disagree with you minimizing the role of a pharmacist and putting it in the league with secretaries. Despite the fact that a lot of what pharmacists do involves customer service, and proper drug selection (which on the face of it given the way the system works today doesn't seem that hard), no matter how busy a retail store may get, or no matter what technologies may be employed to help stay competitive, takes someone who is trained, knowledgeable, and most importantly, accountable to recognize a drug interaction and to do something about it. Technology can only list interactions, but it cannot make judgement calls as to their importance, make recommendations to the physician, or counsel patients (patient information leaflets do not count...listing all possible drug side effects is not counseling).

Point is, it is a matter of life and death. Courts have ruled that pharmacists are held accountable for any mistakes they make. Since, despite the system, mistakes are still made by highly trained health care workers, imagine the mistakes that would be made by "secretaries" and technicians. Imagine further the drug interactions missed.

Pharmacists are accountable not only for the right meds, but counseling on side effects (i.e. drowsiness and driving), drug interactions, etc. With increased accountability obviously comes increased pay. In addition, only pharmacists are really trusted with overseeing the nation's drug supply. Someone licensed and accountable is always there to insure against diversion, etc.

I could go on, but you get the point.