Retail Pharmacy HIPAA Question (Physical Dividers at Counter)

Started by pinkyrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pinkyrx

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does your state require some sort of divider at the pick-up counter of retail pharmacies to ensure privacy if more than one person is standing at the counter at the same time?

Will your state allow you to simply have a sign that says "Please stand back from counter to ensure patient privacy" or something along those lines?

Is it adequate to have a private counseling room instead of a physical divider at the actual pick-up area of your pharmacy? I'm asking because someone told me that they are required to install a large divider separating their pick-up window/counter into two separate halves so that patients would be physically separated and it would "appear" more private. I for one am sure that these thin dividers don't make a difference in what the other patients can hear. I think if someone has a separate room right there dedicated to private counseling sessions that should cover the basic privacy standards.

I realize you still have to speak in a hushed voice and follow common sense privacy procedures, but is a big ugly divider really necessary?

👎
 
I'd like to have one at our pharmacy, but its not required by KY state law. A lot of the newer stores have dividers at the counter and also a separate counseling room, but I'm pretty sure the counseling room only gets used for immunizations and MTM though.
 
I just scream bitches please. It's a universal type response.

Ten customers within 3 feet of me... Bitches please.

Tweaker methhead bitching about paying a whole 1.05 for 5 different meds... Bitches please.

Whiny techs that want to talk on the phone 7 hours a day... bitches please.

Asian pharmacist that brings in some freaky whole fish dinner from the night before then nukes it in the microwave so the stentch overpowers the beggards that haven't showered in 4 days and are wearing soiled pants and/or nuthuggers? Bitches please. Seriously it was so bad, people were coming from 4 isles away to see what the stench was.

Grandma riding a power scooter flashing real bling and letting her granddaughter steal candy right in front of our faces, then getting up in mine when I call her on it... Bitches please.

I'm sorry what was the original question again? :laugh: