Retail Pharmacy: Partners who are a pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor_rigby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does having a horrible partner really make that big a difference if you are working in a major chain pharmacy with 2 pharmacists(you being one of them)?

The head pharmacist at my place is always complaining and finding faults with the other pharmacist and he's been trying the get the DM to oust her and get her in a lower volume store, but we're already short staffed.

The only time they come in contact with each other is on Fridays when their shifts overlap, but other than that they don't have to directly work with each other. Unless, you're always taking the load if the other one is making frequent mistakes, does it really make a difference to you if you end up with a crappy partner? or a difficult DM?

I ask because, 1) We're training someone who couldn't handle dealing with the DM, 2) A floater was in last week, and doesn't plan on settling for a place until she finds a good partner.

A) Does it really make a difference?
B) If the answer is yes, in what ways?
C) What constitutes as a "good" partner?

I don't want to be ill-prepared for what I will have to face upon graduation, so any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does having a horrible partner really make that big a difference if you are working in a major chain pharmacy with 2 pharmacists(you being one of them)?

The head pharmacist at my place is always complaining and finding faults with the other pharmacist and he's been trying the get the DM to oust her and get her in a lower volume store, but we're already short staffed.

The only time they come in contact with each other is on Fridays when their shifts overlap, but other than that they don't have to directly work with each other. Unless, you're always taking the load if the other one is making frequent mistakes, does it really make a difference to you if you end up with a crappy partner? or a difficult DM?

I ask because, 1) We're training someone who couldn't handle dealing with the DM, 2) A floater was in last week, and doesn't plan on settling for a place until she finds a good partner.

A) Does it really make a difference?
B) If the answer is yes, in what ways?
C) What constitutes as a "good" partner?

I don't want to be ill-prepared for what I will have to face upon graduation, so any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

I think it really matters whether you have a good partner or not. When you are responsible or working regularly in a store anyone who makes a mistake is bad on you.

Think about it, a floater, or your not-so-good partner was working yesterday.
Today, out of the blue, a customer comes complaining, saying that the pharmacist yesterday filled the wrong rx for them. Who takes the blame? certainly not the person who was working yesterday, or not as much. You and your techs working that day would be the ones the customer would ramp on and on about how bad of a service they got yesterday.... etc...

another scenario:

the pharmacist working yesterday, whoever it was, worked pretty slow... at the end of the day, they ended up not finishing the dropped off rx, leaving you 10 new rx to type in the morning when u come in. You already have 2 customers who came in early in the am b4 work to look for those rx they dropped off the night b4. Now what? who gets to see their rudeness? certainly not the person who worked last night.