Retail RPh to insurance co. RPh?

Started by hwcpharmd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hwcpharmd

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience going from retail RPh role to a clinical advisory role at an insurance company. I realize if I apply for this job, my chances are slim due to my retail background, but am looking for some feedback. Thanks!
 
Just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience going from retail RPh role to a clinical advisory role at an insurance company. I realize if I apply for this job, my chances are slim due to my retail background, but am looking for some feedback. Thanks!

I am not sure about "clinical advisory", but plenty of retail rph end up in managed care. Typically the Prior Auth teams. The more clinical managed care jobs tend to require a managed care residency or prior managed care experience.
 
Just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience going from retail RPh role to a clinical advisory role at an insurance company. I realize if I apply for this job, my chances are slim due to my retail background, but am looking for some feedback. Thanks!
When you say “insurance” company, do you mean PBM? I believe clinical advisor is what Caremark calls the pharmacist on their account tems?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you say “insurance” company, do you mean PBM? I believe clinical advisor is what Caremark calls the pharmacist on their account tems?
Humana has a “clinical pharmacist advisory” opening. It doesn’t say a residency is required, although I know it would certainly help. The position is probably over my head in terms of the business end of it. However, it’s attractive to me since it is a work from hime position.
 
Humana has a “clinical pharmacist advisory” opening. It doesn’t say a residency is required, although I know it would certainly help. The position is probably over my head in terms of the business end of it. However, it’s attractive to me since it is a work from hime position.


Ah. I see. Looks like it’s doing PA reviews. I feel like a lot of people get hired out of retail to do that.