Retail Rut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsPillSlinger

Dealing and healing
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve been a pharmacist for almost 10 years, but worked in retail pharmacy (tech turned intern, then pharmacist) for a total of 18 years. I’m just TIRED of retail. I used to love it, but the honeymoon has been over for a while. I still enjoy interacting with customers/patients, but I don’t feel like I belong there anymore. Maybe I just need a change. I’ve tried Prior Auth positions, clinical pharmacist, and hospital pharmacist, but so far, those jobs have either *required* residency or experience, or I’ve not gotten the position.

Any suggestions on how to break into other avenues of pharmacy without specific experience, a residency, or more schooling?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Be open to relocating, especially if you live in a saturated area.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try LTC.

Yes, LTC is quite laid back compared to retail. It's been said its where old retail RPhs go to die...LOL. The real downside I've found is there are constant buyouts of LTC companies and the loss of one facility can mean losing your job, so not nearly as stable as retail....

LTC night shift is even better. Myself and one tech. Might answer the phone 2-3 times a night. Check lots of cycle rxs and fill a few overnight orders. No day bull**** nor any of the drama you get from having to work with a lot of people. Probably as peaceful as pharmacy can get...

Reactions: 2 users
how is LTC overnight? i start my new position next week excited and hopeful this is good fit for me! looking for something more laid back

how is LTC overnight? i start my new position next week excited and hopeful this is good fit for me! looking for something more laid back

LTC night shift is even better. Myself and one tech. Might answer the phone 2-3 times a night. Check lots of cycle rxs and fill a few overnight orders. No day bull**** nor any of the drama you get from having to work with a lot of people. Probably as peaceful as pharmacy can get...

I kid. I have only had the chance to work overnight LTC a few times in some rare cases. I loved it. It is basically my dream that my facility will go overnight and I can score one of the openings.

Last edited:
Yeah- don't want to call it a true unicorn level job, but for the right company it's really close. A lot depends on your day RPhs. At the last place I worked, they would stop filling orders mid afternoon, leaving me with hundreds of orders to process overnite. The job I'm at now is much more performance conscious and people have a much better work ethic. Process a few orders, answer a few phone calls. Having worked retail for 16 years there is NO comparison relative to stress. I would tell anyone who wants "laid back" to have no hesitation on trying it. Also, never work weekends, never on call.

Same situation here... but have not been in the field that long...

doesn't long term care require some kind of IV compounding experience?

Helps to know some basics, but my night tech does all the iv compounding during night shift, and IV orders then are rare since most facilities have enough in med lockers to do simple ivs... I had no experience prior to starting as i was in retail. No one seemed to care...

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacists rarely make IVs in LTC. They have dedicated IV techs. Even the IV techs get hired with no experience. They train them for a few days then boom they're making IVs full time. They give the pharmacists an hour or two of training and call it a day, but they will most likely never have to make an IV.

So, I’ve been a pharmacist for almost 10 years, but worked in retail pharmacy (tech turned intern, then pharmacist) for a total of 18 years. I’m just TIRED of retail. I used to love it, but the honeymoon has been over for a while. I still enjoy interacting with customers/patients, but I don’t feel like I belong there anymore. Maybe I just need a change. I’ve tried Prior Auth positions, clinical pharmacist, and hospital pharmacist, but so far, those jobs have either *required* residency or experience, or I’ve not gotten the position.

Any suggestions on how to break into other avenues of pharmacy without specific experience, a residency, or more schooling?

Have you considered anything outside of pharmacy? I myself am in the same boat. Been a tech since 97' and pharm since 2012. It is an aweful job these days. I like my paycheck as a manager and realize i will never see money like this again, so im saving and hanging on. ( i manage a WM). My work/life balance is getting a little shredded, and the stress is enormous because all these big retail companies are struggling to make their profits. So we are suffering. I guess it makes sense, but it does not mean we have to continue doing this to ourselves. Try starting your own business. remember business class? draft up a simple business plan. start thinking of some good ideas. I'll give ya one right now.....coin laundromat. DONT LAUGH....they can make some coin! lol.....seriously though, they can make you a good living and if you work as hard you do now , you should do well. And i bet your home/work/life balance will be better as well. you will not feel the stress of everyday life in retail corporate america. besides you better get thinking because you probably make more money than your position is worth like me right? so they will find creative ways to replace us eventually. Formulate your exit strategy, and go enjoy your life. it goes by too quick not to. Forget pharmacy, this field is drowning and your just gonna be jumping onto another ship thats swiss cheese.

Pharmacists rarely make IVs in LTC. They have dedicated IV techs. Even the IV techs get hired with no experience. They train them for a few days then boom they're making IVs full time. They give the pharmacists an hour or two of training and call it a day, but they will most likely never have to make an IV.
All of this is very true. Our newest IV tech was making IVs the same day she started training.....I trained for an hour or so and did a media test to certify my sterile technique....

I've been talking to a med marijuana dispensary and that seems like the greatest job ever. Pay is poor but sounds almost stress free. Too bad most places only hire part time...

I've been talking to a med marijuana dispensary and that seems like the greatest job ever. Pay is poor but sounds almost stress free. Too bad most places only hire part time...

What is a pharmacist's role in a dispensary? Is a dispensary different from those pot shops that sell candy and brownies?

This is in PA. Medical marijuana only. Just completed the online training today. Apparently at the dispensary you are simply required to be there and answer any questions those picking up might have. There is an online system to verify the patient is registered to receive marijuana. Honestly, sounds like a gravy job. Will know more when I meet with them Tues....

PA requires a physician or pharmacist to be there during all operating hours, and they're definitely not spending the $$$ for a physician....

Open YOUR OWN! thats what im doing. (or attempting at least). Just go for it, pharmacy is a worse gamble and before you know it, all your steam is gone and your older. Jump out while you can.

My steam is already gone! LOL Only so many licenses given out per county in PA, and they were all bought long ago....

I feel bad for the walgreens people right now. They just took a huge hit in their stock and they started more cost cutting. So some pharmacies were closed outright, some hours were cut to the bone (single coverage), tech hours slashed hard...etc. They missed their quarterly earnings for wall street and the shareholders got pissed, now we suffer. The CEO blamed it on "PBM reimbursement issues, and something about generic drugs being an issue?" i kinda agree, insurance is destroying many fields right now. If we cannot control healthcare costs soon, and get insurers to pay for more, this is all going down. Not just pharmacy. These companies are hungry and having trouble making their HUGE profit goals.

I feel bad for the walgreens people right now. They just took a huge hit in their stock and they started more cost cutting. So some pharmacies were closed outright, some hours were cut to the bone (single coverage), tech hours slashed hard...etc. They missed their quarterly earnings for wall street and the shareholders got pissed, now we suffer. The CEO blamed it on "PBM reimbursement issues, and something about generic drugs being an issue?" i kinda agree, insurance is destroying many fields right now. If we cannot control healthcare costs soon, and get insurers to pay for more, this is all going down. Not just pharmacy. These companies are hungry and having trouble making their HUGE profit goals.

"get insurers to pay for more, " you can't get money that doesn't exist bro. Just wait till the government cuts the medicaid and medicare gravy train. Oh my. It will make today look like a joke in a year you will see 25% of all pharmacies chapter 7 or 11. right now it's easy to bill bill bill anything medical. reimbursement is high enough if you are not a complete clown ordering the right meds at the right price you can make a killing. If you get the LTC patients on board and then start to get those fat volume discounts then it's even easier.

Imagine what will happen to retail pharmacy when the financial markets crash again

"get insurers to pay for more, " you can't get money that doesn't exist bro. Just wait till the government cuts the medicaid and medicare gravy train. Oh my. It will make today look like a joke in a year you will see 25% of all pharmacies chapter 7 or 11. right now it's easy to bill bill bill anything medical. reimbursement is high enough if you are not a complete clown ordering the right meds at the right price you can make a killing. If you get the LTC patients on board and then start to get those fat volume discounts then it's even easier.

Yeah good point, i guess what i meant was simply the greed of for-profit healthcare. It's reached a maximum. We have squeezed the last drops out of this teet and we just keep pushing for more. And i understand insurance companies getting pissed off. They are in business to make money too, right? I already see slow and steady cuts in medicare and medicaid. They are making it difficult to to just about anything anymore. I hope this thing goes down like the titanic to be honest. we need a fresh start. and a wake up call.