Retail to LTC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have changed from retail to LTC, what advice can you offer about making that transition?
I have been with an independent but I'm considering making a change to LTC..
What skills do I need to brush up on, how do I draft my resume to highlight skills that may be relevant to LTC ,etc
Any advice is appreciated

On another note, I'm also looking for a refresher on retail compounding. Any resources available?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

We do IV's in LTC, so I would brush up on common IV abx you might see and have to check/make yourself. Other things you wouldn't see in retail that are in LTC - rehydration fluids and TPN.

You likely will have to take on-call after hours. LTC is not really a field you just come, work your hours, and go home like retail. So just highlight a willingness to take on extra projects and work. Your experience in retail will be helpful because there are times where we are crazy busy and balancing many priorities is important.

I really like this field and find it interesting. Do some research so you can genuinely speak to what you find appealing about LTC.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard that LTC might not pay as well as retail. true?

Members don't see this ad :)
is it worth giving up retail salary to move into LTC?

From my brief rotation experience LTC is essentially mail-order. They had like 4 pharmacists checking data entry and 2 at product verification. There was 1 pharmacists who did I.V. all day and one who was actually going to the sites and making recommendations apparently (the I.V. and consultant pharmacists were a seperate position, so the other pharmacists didn't "rotate" or get scheduled into these tasks). Honestly it seemed very boring, I was looking at the clock every 10 minutes. Plus you have to stay at work until everything for that day is done meaning you are kind of at the mercy of the clients. Retail is probably more stressful but the day goes by a lot faster and you get paid more so I prefer it. Maybe other LTC settings are a lot different. Plus we had to put EVERYTHING into a blister pack with each day labeled so the nurses couldn't screw it up which was annoying.