Retaining First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm having trouble retaining/memorizing all the high-yield info in First Aid. For example, I learn it one day and then 2 weeks later, I don't remember it or only retain bits and pieces...Is there a way to improve my learning skills to retain the info better? I mean it's hard to review everything every night due to the amount of information and learning a new system/topic the next day...any tips are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I'm having trouble retaining/memorizing all the high-yield info in First Aid. For example, I learn it one day and then 2 weeks later, I don't remember it or only retain bits and pieces...Is there a way to improve my learning skills to retain the info better? I mean it's hard to review everything every night due to the amount of information and learning a new system/topic the next day...any tips are appreciated.
Try doing UsmleRx Q bank alongside studying

I don't have time for that...any other tips?...I have 500 questions of COMQUEST left...and I finished COMBANK and did UWorld....basically doing one last run through of First-Aid

I don't have time for that...any other tips?...I have 500 questions of COMQUEST left...and I finished COMBANK and did UWorld....basically doing one last run through of First-Aid

Have you tried taking notes of the things that always seem to slip through the hippocampus and review them at the beginning and end of each day? You don't have to write down a paragraph for each entry, just the stuff you can't seem to remember consistently. You don't want to get into the habit of reading the same stuff over and over again and convince yourself that because of all that effort you understand and memorized it, when in reality you don't remember and/or understand it at all. Obviously this would work best if you're just trying to retain the minutiae that don't always stick... of which FA has no shortage, unfortunately. Hope this helps or gives you some inspiration. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes that is good advice...I do take notes, but need to review them consistently...I will try your idea...thanks

Don't learn from FA. If I read FA before I have a good grasp of a topic I retain nothing. If I read FA after I have a good understanding of a topic, I am able to retain the "new" details that I "learn" from FA. For me it's just a matter of the proper order of resources.

Trying to learn from FA is like trying to memorize letters in a word rather than first learning how to spell the word and then write it down.

Then learn from what? I don't have much time and that is the most high-yield book for COMLEX and USMLE right?

Then learn from what? I don't have much time and that is the most high-yield book for COMLEX and USMLE right?

Learn from your 1.5-2 year curriculum of med school. Learn from Robbins, Goljan, Pathoma, Katzung, Costanzo, Qbanks, etc.

Reactions: 1 users