Retake a 3rd time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
August 2003:
V-9
B-8
P-8

April 2004:
V-7
B-9
P-7

I have no idea how I went down 2 points on the MCATs. I was scoring 31s on the practice tests just a week before. My GPA is delicate at a 3.4 and I know that I will have to retake the test for a third time. Is going down the true kiss of death? Should I still apply to a few MD/DO/foreign schools this year?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...I'm desperate. Maybe I should consider an enhancement program?

Members don't see this ad.

Mones said:
August 2003:
V-9
B-8
P-8

April 2004:
V-7
B-9
P-7

I have no idea how I went down 2 points on the MCATs. I was scoring 31s on the practice tests just a week before. My GPA is delicate at a 3.4 and I know that I will have to retake the test for a third time. Is going down the true kiss of death? Should I still apply to a few MD/DO/foreign schools this year?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...I'm desperate. Maybe I should consider an enhancement program?
Check out the MSP program at Drexel Coll of Med...
http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/mspp.asp
There's a few threads about it in the Post Bacc forum

I would still apply. Especially if you have a decent GPA, good LORs and experience. A lot of schools consider not your most recent score but the highest. Some of them even add up the best scores from individual sections of all your MCAT scores. 25 is a decent score for DO schools and maybe you can have a shot at your instate MD schools as well. My 2cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably have a small chance still to get in. Getting a lower score the second time certainly didn't help your cause any, but your score range isn't the worst. I would apply to your state school(s) - which state are you from btw - and definitely some DOs cuz you'd have a decent shot there. If you don't get in anywhere it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to take the MCAT for the 3rd time, knowing you have to really study hard cuz that would be your last shot really. Best of luck, don't give up all hope yet

You have a 25 on the MCAT. You have a shot at some of the DO schools, such as the new one in Virginia, especially with a very early application, your state school if you live in the right state and some of the other allopathic schools with a little luck.

I would apply very selectively and prepare to sit out another year unless you are willing to go to SGU.