RETAKE A 515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtle00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELLO SHOULD I RETAKE A 515?

THE REASON BEING: I got low in CARS on the MCAT. I usually get 95+ percentile on practice but got a low 87 percentile. (128)

I was sleepy on the day of the exam. 100% my fault. Did not get enough sleep. Also, I did not study the biochem amino acids, I did not know the amino acids (structure, letter, isoelectric point, etc). Again, 100% my fault.

I was very sleepy on the exam and i feel that i could do better. i mean, i usually do so well on CARS, but i really messed up here. so i think maybe i should retake.

I got very low in biology. (126).

Also, I did not do much practice questions and I have a bunch of practice material I can still do. Again 100% my fault, not blaming anyone. It was my irresponsibility. i feel really bad about it and to be honest i feel that i am not ready to become a doctor. should i retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake a 515 Jesus. Even if you do get your cars score higher, which is likely given ur practices, you might drop down in other sections, not go up at all. At the 95th percentile there is too much to risk. Adcoms *will* judge the quality of your judgement. Retaking such a good score (128 on CARS is not "low", it just isn't stratospheric) will show poor judgement and arrogance. Your MCAT score won't keep you out of any school in the country (except, perhaps, for Wash U and Penn and NYU)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake a 515 Jesus. Even if you do get your cars score higher, which is likely given ur practices, you might drop down in other sections, not go up at all. At the 95th percentile there is too much to risk. Adcoms *will* judge the quality of your judgement. Retaking such a good score (128 on CARS is not "low", it just isn't stratospheric) will show poor judgement and arrogance. Your MCAT score won't keep you out of any school in the country (except, perhaps, for Wash U and Penn and NYU)

Thanks. It is actually a 93 percentile. I have a very low GPA, like 3.1. So I don't know what to do. I am sure that if I re-take I can get a better score, I really do know that.

Thanks. It is actually a 93 percentile. I have a very low GPA, like 3.1. So I don't know what to do. I am sure that if I re-take I can get a better score, I really do know that.
3.1 + ~33 = 64 LizzyM. Not the best and its unbalanced. The MCAT wont be the thing keeping you out of medical school. I'm guessing your too late to do serious GPA repair so you may want to go on the WAMC forums and ask the adcoms what might be a good strategy for you to apply. Hopefully you have an upward trend.

87th percentile is considered low these days? Man I must have been out of UG longer than I thought. Your GPA will most likely hurt you. You could try a MS - if you had an upward trend in UG and continue it may be viewed more favorably.

Did you have an upward trending gpa? A 528 won't save you from a 3.1. Taking some high level science classes is more important.