1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

retake a "C" class or take a new class

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yzf600, Nov 15, 2005.

1. yzf600

yzf600 Member
    5+ Year Member

trying to figure out what i should do for the next semester.

I'll be applying to schools during the summer (at the end of my senior year), and i have one more semester to go (spring '06).

I want to bring my gpa up more, but im not sure if i should retake a chem class i got a "c" in or if i should just take another new class. Both are 5 hours.

any input on what i should do ? which would help my gpa more?

thanks

2. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com
    Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you got a "C" in a required course,(I.E. Chem) I say retake it. Especially if you havn't taken the DAT yet. One less thing to study!!

3. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Depends on the class. If it's organic chem or general chem, definately reatake it and try to get an A.

If it's something you took for a minor or for fun, then don't worry about it and move on. We all have a bad class or two. Just be prepared to explain yourself at interviews.

4. yzf600

yzf600 Member
    5+ Year Member

yea it's a g. chem class.

and one more thing....do you know how the aadsas calculates the gpa for retakes ?

i was thinking about retaking one more "c" class (phys. lab) over the summer too before i apply....so if it would help, im in.

thanks again

5. v&andy_yankee

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    ^what is your gpa?

if your bcp is a 3.0 or above, i would say not to bother. i had a nice slew of C's littered across my BCP but i still fared well. i would say instead of retaking classes, take new ones (like physio, it will help with 1st year)

6. yzf600

yzf600 Member
    5+ Year Member

it's actually 3.1 (bcp) so im trying to bump it up as much as i can......it's basically a toss-up between repeating gchem or taking animal physio.

7. drengineer

drengineer Back to surfing!
    7+ Year Member

I agree with vandy_yankee. I also have C in my Ochem2 but i did pretty well on the ochem section of the DAT, so as long as you show the adcoms that you know the material, it's not worth retaking a class with a C.

8. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think it's better to retake because it's a required course. Plus, BCP has its own GPA and for some schools the BCP GPA is very important. In my opinion, if and when you decide to retake you should try to get A/A+. If you think that you may get a B or lower you probably shouldn't retake it.

9. yzf600

yzf600 Member
    5+ Year Member

do you know how the gpa is calculated for retakes ??? Would the "A" replace the previous "C" ?

10. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I really don't know. I haven't retaken any courses. So, I am not sure how AADSAS does it. I think AADSAS considers both the A and the C when calculating your GPA. I also think some schools may let you replace a C with an A but I am not too sure about this either. You should directly cotact AADSAS and your school to directly get the facts.

11. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I dont think AASAS replaces grades. You get both those grades factored into overall and BCP GPA's.

12. dexadental

dexadental 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey cowsgomoo, whats your top choice to attend dental school? Whats new?

13. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dude clear your message box. trying to send a private message.