Retake a prerequisite for audiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K_Kerrig

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm hoping to apply to Au.d programs in the near future. My bachelor's degree was in an unrelated field, but over the past year I have taken various communication disorders courses in order to prepare myself for graduate study in audiology. For the most part, my grades in these prereqs have been solid (A/A- range), except for in Intro to Audiology (got a C+ - ouch). I had a personal emergency on the day of the final for this course and it unfortunately affected my performance on the test, which was worth a large portion of the grade for the class. My gpa for all my communication disorders classes is about a 3.5 (if I do not retake Intro to Audiology), and my GRE scores are 163 verbal and 160 math. It would be very expensive for me to retake the class, but I know audiology programs are very competitive. Would a retake look better to potential schools? Have I destroyed my chances of getting in anyway at this point, whether I retake or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I would check the GPA/GRE statistics of accepted students in your potential AuD programs first. You can find that info on EduFind, school websites, or by e-mailing the admissions office.

If an "intro to audiology" class was your only audiology-related prereq class, it might be a good idea to retake it. If you had other hearing science/aural rehab/audiology classes that you had to take and you got decent grades in them, it might be okay to just briefly explain the C+ grade in a personal statement or supplemental essay. Overall, it sounds like you would likely be a competitive applicant though, depending on your letters of recommendation, volunteer/research activity, and statement.