Retake a prerequisite for audiology?

Started by K_Kerrig
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

K_Kerrig

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, all. I'm hoping to apply to Au.d programs in the near future. My bachelor's degree was in an unrelated field, but over the past year I have taken various communication disorders courses in order to prepare myself for graduate study in audiology. For the most part, my grades in these prereqs have been solid (A/A- range), except for in Intro to Audiology (got a C+ - ouch). I had a personal emergency on the day of the final for this course and it unfortunately affected my performance on the test, which was worth a large portion of the grade for the class. My gpa for all my communication disorders classes is about a 3.5 (if I do not retake Intro to Audiology), and my GRE scores are 163 verbal and 160 math. It would be very expensive for me to retake the class, but I know audiology programs are very competitive. Would a retake look better to potential schools? Have I destroyed my chances of getting in anyway at this point, whether I retake or not?
 
I would check the GPA/GRE statistics of accepted students in your potential AuD programs first. You can find that info on EduFind, school websites, or by e-mailing the admissions office.
 
If an "intro to audiology" class was your only audiology-related prereq class, it might be a good idea to retake it. If you had other hearing science/aural rehab/audiology classes that you had to take and you got decent grades in them, it might be okay to just briefly explain the C+ grade in a personal statement or supplemental essay. Overall, it sounds like you would likely be a competitive applicant though, depending on your letters of recommendation, volunteer/research activity, and statement.