retake bio and ochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone of you retaken those two classes? I am just wondering if i should retake or take some other classes?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

YoungJock:
I think it all depends. I took Bio. 1 and 2 as an undergrad and recieved a C and C+. I thought retaking them would be a waste of time.Instead, what I did was take some upper level biology courses and did well in them to show I know my Biology. I took Cell Biology in which I recieved a B, and Physiology in which I got a B+. I am taking Biochem. this spring, and Genetics next fall and am aiming to get a B or better in these 2 classes. So try and see if you can take some upper level Biology classes and do well in them to show you know your bio.,and take Biochem and get an A in it and show you have mastered Orgo.
Once again, this is just my own take on it. You may want to talk to your school's pre-med adviser.
Laavp

I am sort of in a similar situation with you youngjock. I thought about repeating some of my classes but I am planning to rather take upper division bios just because I think I would be sick and tired of seeing the stuff over and over again. But if you repeat them, you really better get As in both of them. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, don't forget that with the way AACOMAS calculates your GPA on the centralized application only the last grade of a repeated course gets averaged into your total GPA. So if you don't retake it your grade stands as is, and that "not so hot" grade is averaged into your GPA. If you do retake it and get an A, only that grade (the A) is included in your GPA. So see if that makes a difference. It made a huge difference in my total GPA which has allowed me to do great with interviews and acceptances. If you have any questions regarding this please ask. It may make a world of difference!!!!

I am very surprised that AACOMAS only takes the last grade! AMCAS averages in all of the grades for a class. Every crappy one of them. Hmmmm....

Retake the classes.....It works..it worked for me....

Never mind the upper divisions...you need to fix your GPA...I replaced "C"'s with "A"'s and it got me multiple acceptances!!!

I love AACOMAS

yosh,
the medical school doesn't really care if you retake classes?...what if you retake the classes at a community college or something? i have a couple of C+ wondering if it might help to retake them at community college after i graduate from undergrad...
;)

I am thinking about the same thing. I already finished my undergrad. Even if I retake those classes, I would have to take them from another college.

would aacomas disregard the previous one?

by the way, aacomas doesn't count math as science! that lowered my gpa last time I applied.

Originally posted by outgolfing:
•yosh,
the medical school doesn't really care if you retake classes?...what if you retake the classes at a community college or something? i have a couple of C+ wondering if it might help to retake them at community college after i graduate from undergrad...
;) •••

You should check with AACOMAS, but I don't think that the repeat rule (taking only the last grade) counts if you retake it after graduating from undergrad. Call or e-mail AACOMAS to be sure though.