Retake C- on Biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iriseyes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been out from college for about 2 years and no community college near me offers this class. It does not help that I moved to a different city after graduation. I would need to take an expensive online class.

I am currently on the UCBSO waitlist and I am unsure if I should be retaking my C- on Biochemistry. The other schools that I have been accepted to don't require me to retake it, but UCBSO did not state whether I would need to retake it. My current plan is to retake Biochemistry (if needed) and Immunology through Berkeley Extension if I get admitted, but I know it is going to be very pricey. I know I should be asking admissions myself but it honestly it feels a little awkward to reach out because I am on their waitlist. They also did not say anything about my missing pre requisites before enrollment like the other schools did. Help a guy out if you know the answer to this one. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm this is tough because most of the schools don't require Biochemistry. How were your Bio, Gen Chem, and overall pre-req grades in comparison? From my experience with other schools, if there is a C- in a pre-req they usually wish for you to retake it.
I didn't apply to Berkeley, but if it kind of helps I have an interview coming up with a school that also required Biochem. I had a C+ but had As and Bs with Bio/Gen Chem/Microbio and a bunch of other bio related classes that I took.

Personally I would try calling them anonymously and asking them if they require to retake a C- in pre-req. Is UCBSO your top pick?

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm this is tough because most of the schools don't require Biochemistry. How were your Bio, Gen Chem, and overall pre-req grades in comparison? From my experience with other schools, if there is a C- in a pre-req they usually wish for you to retake it.
I didn't apply to Berkeley, but if it kind of helps I have an interview coming up with a school that also required Biochem. I had a C+ but had As and Bs with Bio/Gen Chem/Microbio and a bunch of other bio related classes that I took.

Personally I would try calling them anonymously and asking them if they require to retake a C- in pre-req. Is UCBSO your top pick?

All of my other science classes are B+ or A's. Sadly, I took Biochemistry when I was not ready for it during my early undergrad years. Berkeley is my top pick, but I would like to avoid to spending $1000 on an online class if I won't get admitted. I won't hear back from them until late April so I am in a tight spot. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
All of my other science classes are B+ or A's. Sadly, I took Biochemistry when I was not ready for it during my early undergrad years. Berkeley is my top pick, but I would like to avoid to spending $1000 on an online class if I won't get admitted. I won't hear back from them until late April so I am in a tight spot. Thanks for your help!
I know you said it feels awkward, but ask them!

You can say something like, “Thank you for the update regarding my application status. To clarify, if I were to be accepted, is there any coursework I would have to take or retake before my official admission?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,
Iriseyes”

It’s professional and simple. I’m sure they get stupid questions all the time. This is not one of them. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah definitely do what ojos14 said!! That's perfect. You could send today and hopefully they get back tomorrow or next week!

Good luck! Congrats on your other acceptances as well!

Reactions: 2 users
I know you said it feels awkward, but ask them!

You can say something like, “Thank you for the update regarding my application status. To clarify, if I were to be accepted, is there any coursework I would have to take or retake before my official admission?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,
Iriseyes”

It’s professional and simple. I’m sure they get stupid questions all the time. This is not one of them. :)

Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user