Retake Classes or SMP? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kepner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one!

I'm relatively new to SDN, so forgive me if I ask questions that may seem redundant or silly.

I'm 22 years old and a recent graduate from Michigan State University. I have cGPA of 3.15 and an sGPA of 3.00. I began my undergraduate studies pursuing a nursing career but quickly reverted to a pre-med physio route after taking intro to physio my sophomore year. My GPA is somewhat of a rollercoaster throughout the semesters

Freshman Year 2.0
Sophomore Year 3.8
Junior Year 2.8
Senior Year 4.0

I am very much open to pursuing a career as a D.O. or M.D. but am not truly set on either one. I'm really trying to nail out at least the next year of my life and would really appreciate some real and honest input as to what others would think is best for me.

I have previously taken the MCAT and did very poorly (<25). I was not prepared AT ALL and am definitely planning on retaking it again. It was actually pretty traumatic for me, so I'm probably going to spend at least 4 or 5 months studying for the exam (estimated date is probably around July).

In the meantime, I have been job hunting for something medically related but have had no luck. I am volunteering at an in-patient pharmacy and have done roughly around 200 hours of volunteering already in the hospital at various units (i.e. ER, Mother/Baby). I am also a volunteer as a food crisis counselor at an NPO in Washtenaw County that required a 32 hour training program dealing with homelessness, sexual assault and domestic violence education, and empathy training.

During my undergraduate studies, I held a part time job, volunteered at a local hospital, and was an executive board member of my sorority which also exposed me to a lot of philanthropy opportunities.

I'm sorry if this post seems somewhat excessive, but I just want the best feedback I can get as possible. Anyways, the more I research going to medical school, the further away it seems. I know the first step into acceptance is taking my MCAT, but I know that my low GPA will be a hindrance as well. My current dilemma is whether to pursue an SMP or just retake a few of the courses I did not do so well on? I know for DO programs they replace grades and MD programs they average them. So far from what I've gotten from similar threads is that in order for me to get into an allopathic program I would need to retake a few of the classes I received <3.0 on, apply for that SMP, and pursue some more research and volunteer experience.

Finally I just want to provide a little bit of background on the programs I was looking into.

Wayne State University M.S. in Basic Medical Sciences
- 2 years
- $25 k (roughly)
- I've heard mixed reviews on the program. There are a few success stories as well from friends who are already in medical school.

University of Michigan M.S. in Molecular and Integrative Physiology
- 1 year
- $25 k (roughly)
- UofM is a prestigious university in and of itself; however, I heard there is no linkage between the program and the medical school. The best thing about the program for me really is the location because my parents live about 20 minutes away from campus. Nonetheless, I'm not sure if the institution's name is worth the 25k

Loyola University Chicago M.S. in Medical Physiology
- 9 months
- $36 k (roughly
- It's a smaller program, accepting only 25 students each year. Students get to work with professors at the Stricht School of Medicine at Loyola. Also students of the MSMP program who achieve a 3.5 GPA or higher or a 30 on the MCAT receive a guaranteed interview to their medical school. Recent stats from the 2012 class show that 5 of the 6 students who applied to medical school got in while the remaining 19 students are waiting for the next medical school admissions cycle.

I am lucky enough to have graduated with no student loans. I would not mind moving to Chicago because that is where my boyfriend goes to law school (University of Chicago), but Michigan is my home and where my family is who could really help support me. ANYONE who is knowledgable on any of these programs PLEASE PLEASE put your personal input in regards to whether they are worth the investment.

Thanks in advance for any advice at all :) Please be specific as you can or suggest alternative routes that you think would work best with my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello every one!

I'm relatively new to SDN, so forgive me if I ask questions that may seem redundant or silly.

I'm 22 years old and a recent graduate from Michigan State University. I have cGPA of 3.15 and an sGPA of 3.00. I began my undergraduate studies pursuing a nursing career but quickly reverted to a pre-med physio route after taking intro to physio my sophomore year. My GPA is somewhat of a rollercoaster throughout the semesters

Freshman Year 2.0
Sophomore Year 3.8
Junior Year 2.8
Senior Year 4.0

I am very much open to pursuing a career as a D.O. or M.D. but am not truly set on either one. I'm really trying to nail out at least the next year of my life and would really appreciate some real and honest input as to what others would think is best for me.

I have previously taken the MCAT and did very poorly (<25). I was not prepared AT ALL and am definitely planning on retaking it again. It was actually pretty traumatic for me, so I'm probably going to spend at least 4 or 5 months studying for the exam (estimated date is probably around July).

In the meantime, I have been job hunting for something medically related but have had no luck. I am volunteering at an in-patient pharmacy and have done roughly around 200 hours of volunteering already in the hospital at various units (i.e. ER, Mother/Baby). I am also a volunteer as a food crisis counselor at an NPO in Washtenaw County that required a 32 hour training program dealing with homelessness, sexual assault and domestic violence education, and empathy training.

During my undergraduate studies, I held a part time job, volunteered at a local hospital, and was an executive board member of my sorority which also exposed me to a lot of philanthropy opportunities.

I'm sorry if this post seems somewhat excessive, but I just want the best feedback I can get as possible. Anyways, the more I research going to medical school, the further away it seems. I know the first step into acceptance is taking my MCAT, but I know that my low GPA will be a hindrance as well. My current dilemma is whether to pursue an SMP or just retake a few of the courses I did not do so well on? I know for DO programs they replace grades and MD programs they average them. So far from what I've gotten from similar threads is that in order for me to get into an allopathic program I would need to retake a few of the classes I received <3.0 on, apply for that SMP, and pursue some more research and volunteer experience.

Finally I just want to provide a little bit of background on the programs I was looking into.

Wayne State University M.S. in Basic Medical Sciences
- 2 years
- $25 k (roughly)
- I've heard mixed reviews on the program. There are a few success stories as well from friends who are already in medical school.

University of Michigan M.S. in Molecular and Integrative Physiology
- 1 year
- $25 k (roughly)
- UofM is a prestigious university in and of itself; however, I heard there is no linkage between the program and the medical school. The best thing about the program for me really is the location because my parents live about 20 minutes away from campus. Nonetheless, I'm not sure if the institution's name is worth the 25k

Loyola University Chicago M.S. in Medical Physiology
- 9 months
- $36 k (roughly
- It's a smaller program, accepting only 25 students each year. Students get to work with professors at the Stricht School of Medicine at Loyola. Also students of the MSMP program who achieve a 3.5 GPA or higher or a 30 on the MCAT receive a guaranteed interview to their medical school. Recent stats from the 2012 class show that 5 of the 6 students who applied to medical school got in while the remaining 19 students are waiting for the next medical school admissions cycle.

I am lucky enough to have graduated with no student loans. I would not mind moving to Chicago because that is where my boyfriend goes to law school (University of Chicago), but Michigan is my home and where my family is who could really help support me. ANYONE who is knowledgable on any of these programs PLEASE PLEASE put your personal input in regards to whether they are worth the investment.

Thanks in advance for any advice at all :) Please be specific as you can or suggest alternative routes that you think would work best with my situation.

If you are aiming for DO, retake is a better option since it's a lot cheaper...Also, your GPAs are not atrocious for DO... 3 to 4 more As on retake might put you at acceptable GPAs (3.25+ c/sGPA) for DO. Then with a 27+ mcat score, you will definitely get multiple interviews if you have decent ECs, LORs etc...

Last edited: