Retake DAT 3rd time? Below avg stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lynndent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi this is my first time posting and seeking advice on SDN.

I applied very late this cycle (November) to a couple of schools and retook the DAT late November. I received 2 interview invites in February and eventually was waitlisted at both schools. I later received a rejection from one of the schools. I am planning on retaking the DAT for a third time.

I completed a 1 year masters in Microbiology to boost my undergrad GPA (3.0 cGPA, 2.8 sGPA). My masters GPA is a 3.6 which I thought was good but did not realize that the undergrad and grad courses are scored together so overall I have a 3.15 GPA and 3.2 science GPA. I know these are subpar stats which is why I really want to improve my DAT scores.

I am currently working as a dental assistant, have been there for a year now. I've had previous shadow experience at multiple dental offices. I'm preparing for the next application cycle early this time. What do you think my chances are honestly? Should I take a few science courses at my community college to improve my science GPA, should I wait until after I retake my DAT to apply and hold off the app til next year? Please any advice would be appreciated.

DAT Scores:
08/2015 / 11/2018
AA 18/ 18
TS 19/ 18
BIO 18/ 20
GC 21/ 16
OC 17/ 18
PAT 17/ 18
QR 16/ 16
RC 18/ 22

Members don't see this ad.

Hi this is my first time posting and seeking advice on SDN.

I applied very late this cycle (November) to a couple of schools and retook the DAT late November. I received 2 interview invites in February and eventually was waitlisted at both schools. I later received a rejection from one of the schools. I am planning on retaking the DAT for a third time.

Hey, I have seen people post on here that they have been contact 2-3 weeks before the start of the semester and offered a seat when they have been wait listed. Instead of retaking the DAT for a third time I think you need to get your applications out there like June 1st. November is really late to apply and if you look at stats, just getting an interview that late is good considering.

I think your QR scores could come up, but I would talk to each school where you apply about cutoff.

Reactions: 1 user