Retake DAT? Gap year plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterfly222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently took my DAT and didn't do as good as I would have liked. I know people who have gotten in with the same/similar scores as me, but I want to make sure that my application is as competitive as possible. While I am not disappointed in my scores (besides OC which affected my TS), I don't know if I am satisfied with them or what my chances will be if applying with them.
My scores:
PAT -22
QR - 19
RC - 21
BIO - 19
GC - 19
OC - 17 :(
TS - 18 :(
AA - 19

Due to my OC and TS scores, I am considering a retake, but don't want to if not completely necessary. Some background info to help, I am a senior majoring in biology with a minor in psychology and plan on (hopefully) applying this upcoming cycle. I have 100+ volunteer hours, will have around 100 shadowing hours by June/July (also an area of weakness), I have been working a job (not dental related) since my junior year, I am a member of 4 orgs on my campus, set up to participate in research this semester, and I currently have a 3.66 overall GPA and a 3.55 science GPA. I am also a first-generation college student (pray for me lol).

If having to retake I plan to do so by July. If I don't get the amount of shadowing hours I want, I plan on waiting to apply next cycle. If waiting to apply next cycle I plan on doing some sort of pre-dental program this summer and focusing on strengthening my application (& maybe retaking the DAT). I also would plan on working to save money, volunteering, shadowing, and taking a (much needed) mental break.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Tough to say without more of a WAMC template. But how many in-state options do you have available? How much networking with nearby schools have you done? GPAs are okay but not spectacular. Being first-gen is helpful, but there's not enough information for me to advise here.

You need to be sure your school list does not use cutoffs with the OC score (I've heard about more PAT or RC cutoffs). Maybe you would get some insight if you got into the summer predental program.

Reactions: 1 user
Tough to say without more of a WAMC template. But how many in-state options do you have available? How much networking with nearby schools have you done? GPAs are okay but not spectacular. Being first-gen is helpful, but there's not enough information for me to advise here.

You need to be sure your school list does not use cutoffs with the OC score (I've heard about more PAT or RC cutoffs). Maybe you would get some insight if you got into the summer predental program.
I understand that. I live in North Carolina, so I have two in-state options plus High Point which just opened and is not requiring a DAT score. A little skeptical about that though lol. I have attended both school's impression days and gone on tours there as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that. I live in North Carolina, so I have two in-state options plus High Point which just opened and is not requiring a DAT score. A little skeptical about that though lol. I have attended both school's impression days and gone on tours there as well.
I would avoid high point if you can, it’s a little concerning they don’t accept DAT and being a fresh cohort you would be working out all the kinks as you go which could be a lot of unnecessary stress on you.

In other news I’d post a WAMC we can get a little better idea but a DAT retake will probably help you since a 19AA is below average. It’s possible to get in, but it just puts you at a disadvantage to others who have higher scores.

Reactions: 1 users
I would avoid high point if you can, it’s a little concerning they don’t accept DAT and being a fresh cohort you would be working out all the kinks as you go which could be a lot of unnecessary stress on you.

In other news I’d post a WAMC we can get a little better idea but a DAT retake will probably help you since a 19AA is below average. It’s possible to get in, but it just puts you at a disadvantage to others who have higher scores.
Thanks for the feedback. Def understand what you mean about high point. I also feel like my DAT score kinda puts me at a disadvantage. I met with my pre-health advisor, and she said she didn't see an issue with it based on my other stats, and I have a friend who applied this past cycle with the same scores and was accepted into 6 dental schools. She also had 300+ shadowing hours though. I feel like if I applied, I'd have a good chance, but if I retake, I'd have a much better one.

Thanks for the feedback. Def understand what you mean about high point. I also feel like my DAT score kinda puts me at a disadvantage. I met with my pre-health advisor, and she said she didn't see an issue with it based on my other stats, and I have a friend who applied this past cycle with the same scores and was accepted into 6 dental schools. She also had 300+ shadowing hours though. I feel like if I applied, I'd have a good chance, but if I retake, I'd have a much better one.
Yeah everyone is different for their app. It helps to have something stand out on your app. Mine was my research experience. But hopefully everything works out for you, good luck!

Yeah everyone is different for their app. It helps to have something stand out on your app. Mine was my research experience. But hopefully everything works out for you, good luck!
thank you!!!

Nothing wrong with retaking DAT, just make sure you improve. If you can maintain some of the scores you have, and excel in areas that you are strong in(I always suggest reading since they give you the answers), then it could easily inflate your score. Don't see why you can't apply to ECU with that DAT and GPA if you have a bunch of extracurriculars. Biggest thing would be finding ways that you are improving your application, even during a gap year if you take it. Whether it is shadowing more specialties, volunteering, or a summer program. All can look good if you work hard. The application is a holistic view of who you are, and it's purpose is to get you to an interview. The criteria to do that depends on the school from my understanding. Chapel Hill will likely weigh academics more heavily than ECU.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing wrong with retaking DAT, just make sure you improve. If you can maintain some of the scores you have, and excel in areas that you are strong in(I always suggest reading since they give you the answers), then it could easily inflate your score. Don't see why you can't apply to ECU with that DAT and GPA if you have a bunch of extracurriculars. Biggest thing would be finding ways that you are improving your application, even during a gap year if you take it. Whether it is shadowing more specialties, volunteering, or a summer program. All can look good if you work hard. The application is a holistic view of who you are, and it's purpose is to get you to an interview. The criteria to do that depends on the school from my understanding. Chapel Hill will likely weigh academics more heavily than ECU.
Thank you for the feedback! Definitely see what you mean about ways to improve my DAT score & I agree that the application is more than just the DAT score. Appreciate the help!!