retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

So I f***ed up my first 2 yrs of undergrad...didn't get into dental school this year (not even NYU) and so I'm doing a postbacc in the fall...1st question, should I retake the DAT? I got an 18/17 Academic/PAT...2nd question, any encouraging or study skills advice so I don't mess my grades up this fall? Thanks for listening...
:(

Members don't see this ad.

i definitely suggest taking the DAT over. it will definitely increase your chances, especially if you happen to have a weak GPA.

Gee simseema17, sorry about the luck on dental admissions. I dunno what happened with NYU b/c they have such a large class that you'd figure you'd at least get an interview out of em'! I had two friends get into NYU this past year with roughly 2.9-3.0 GPA's...one had really good DAT scores (21/19) but the other only had a 17/17 on her DAT. Have you checked with the admissions people to see what they sugget you do. I'd be hesitant to rewrite the DAT (I'm unsure of how many times you've written it) b/c an 18/17 will be tough to REALLY improve on. If you get say a 19/18 the next time around, have you really accomplished anything considering most people improve with practice? I imagine getting a 20 or 21 academic and 19-20 PAT is very difficult so unless you're fairly sure you can really improve your scores, I'd sit on the 18/17 and call up the admissions people and see what was up with your application. Did you apply early last year? How many schools? How many interviews?

Good luck with your future...don't even think about giving up!

MDP

Members don't see this ad :)
I, too, would sit on the 18/17. Although it is a rather average score----it certainly doesn't hurt you. There are several things that go into getting accepted:
- Recommendations
- Experiences with dentistry (volunt.,assist)
- Interview (Your personality, morals, etc.)
- Leadership activities
- Personal statement
- GPA (Is it going up or down?)
- Strength of college and courses
- Extracurriculars (Are you active in school or your community?)
- DAT
- ETC...

There are lots that go into getting accepted. Do not look at the DAT as an "end-all" component. You have a DAT score that 1000s of people who are in dental school had and many had lower scores. So you need not improve something I seriously doubt is hindering you. I would look over my application and see which other components might need some help. Good luck.

R.R.B

hey, i would consider calling the dental school..and schedule a meeting with the admiss director..

..find out exactly why you were rejected. make sure you tell them that are taking steps to remedy whatever negative areas on your app.
..show your committment and try to develop a personal relationship if possible.
it doesn't hurt.

i think your DAT marks are fine..
..the fact you are taking Post -Bac courses is a great step.

luck luck!

Hey Sim..... :D I just got done reading your letter and basically wanted to say that i truly wouldn't stress so much about your situation. I find that I am in the same boat as you and the fact that you are doing post bac is probably the single best thing for you to do, aslong as you do great in those classes that you are currently taking. I think that schools love the whole academic turnaround, and whatever the case might be about you doing so bad earlier on in undergrad is really okay...we all grow up sooner or later and realize what we should really be focusing on and aslong as you do that now, then you are okay. I truly believe that you will get in this upcoming year. And I do not feel that your scores are anything you need to retake as far as the DAT is concerned, they are great :D , if anything you should pat yourself on the back for doing so well and that alone should prove to whichever school you apply to that you are capable of doing well in the future. So no worries for you just smile big and be positive! Best of luck in the future!

thanks for all the encouraging advice guys!