1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Retake Done!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by drillbit, Dec 21, 2008.

1. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Here is the breakdown:
    1st DAT - 9/13/08 ------------2nd - DAT - 12/20/08
    PAT - 21 ---------------------------PAT - 20
    QR - 15 ----------------------------QR - 17 :luck:
    RC - 21 ----------------------------RC - 24
    Bio - 17 --------------------------- Bio - 24 :D
    GC - 18 ----------------------------GC - 22
    OC - 21 ----------------------------OC - 26 :D
    TS - 18 ----------------------------TS - 24
    AA - 18 ----------------------------AA - 23

Science G.P.A - 3.76
    Overall G.P.A - 3.74

I graduated with my B.S. ~ 7.5 year ago - so everything was a bit rusty! I found this forum about 2 months ago and with it some great advice. Thanks for suggesting Cliffs AP Biology. The 1st DAT I only used Kaplan's - which is definitely not adequate. Then with the Destroyer - I was able to raise all the sciences.

I applied late this cycle in September. 2 schools already denied me before I retook the DAT. I am hoping my improved scores will be enough to still make it this cycle. I do not have alot of dentistry experience and I am 31. What do you think my chances are? :xf:

Thanks for any input and good luck to everyone still studying for the DAT!

2. yankees27th

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    WOW incredible scores and improvement. Good luck.

3. joedat41

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    great job. What did you use fro QR?

4. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks! I was debating whether to retake - but my low Bio and QR score on the 1st go around left me with no choice.

For the 1st DAT I used only Kaplan for QR. For the 2nd DAT I used Destroyer and Crack DAT Math and Destroyer. On practice exams I was scoring anywhere from 18 to 22 on Crack DAT Math. I thought I was at a point where I could at least pull a 19 - but I guess not.

5. ZenoVT

ZenoVT Power Ranger
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    NICE! Crazy improvements!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Sick scores man. Awesome improvement, u shud def. get some offers. Gluck

7. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Very impressive, after 7.5 years and you still remember it all.
    Congrats, what did you use to get all the info down for the sciences? and how long did you study?

8. zuma35

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Great job! Cliffs Bio and Destroyer are king!

9. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks!

I took Biochemistry this summer (needed it to meet prerequisite requirements at some schools) from june to mid- july. Then I studied about 2 months before taking the DAT the 1st time.

After my 1st scores, I took about 3 weeks off (wasn't to motivated) but jumped back on the horse with the new study material (Cliffs Bio and Destroyer - in addition to Kaplan from the 1st attempt). I then studied for about 10 weeks intensely - I wasn't very much fun during this time!

I really had to start with the basics - especially with biology because I was a geologist. Some came back fast - like OC - but I really struggled with Bio and of course - QR.

10. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks everyone! Now if I could only get some interviews.......

11. rromantico25

Pre-Dental
    You must be super happy. I will be retaking the DAT in a week like you and I was wondering if you can let me know what the subjects of the passages were. I'm having great difficulty with this section and I'd truly appreciate it if you can help me so I can at least be familiar with the subject. How did you feel about the test in general? Any tips advice? Retaking the DAT is stressfully huh? I hope I come out as successful as you. Congrats. :)

12. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks for the congrats! I would love to help you out - but I am pretty sure we are not supposed to discuss the test in specifics. How are you approaching RC. Do you search and destroy or read the passage in its entirety first? The first time I took the test I read the passage first and then answered the questions. However, on my retake, i decided to do the search and destroy method - which resulted in a better score!

The subjects can vary greatly - and they tend to ask questions that pertain to the passage. I think you would be better served by taking more RC practice tests - and trying the search and destroy method rather than trying to learn about subjects you heard might be on the test. When you find the answer - read the paragraph so you get context too. You can even make notes on the sheet with the paragraph # listed by them so if a similar ? arises - you already know where to look for it.

Retaking was a bit more stressful for me than the 1st time because I had been there before and hadn't got the job done - however, it was totally worth it. Just study hard and believe you can do it! Gluck

13. rromantico25

Pre-Dental
    That's ok, I am going to try to do the search and destroy method and see how it works. Thanks for your advice, i'm sure that with practice it'll get better. The reason why I asked you was because people usually say what their subjects were on, like alot of people are saying that they had the piano one, and it was very crazy for them. I asked so atleast I was familiar with the subject but like I said its ok. Again, thank you for your advice, congrats on your scores and I wish you the best in your admissions process. :)

14. slick90210

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Amazing scores dude! I'm really hoping you get some interviews because you deserve them! That is an amazing GPA and DAT

15. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    nice, finally all your hard work paid off. you are on your way to a dental school

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That is what I am hoping!