Retake labs in post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi there,

I am a non-traditional student who is currently applying to post-bacc programs to improve mediocre grades I received in college seven years ago. I hope to retake Gen Chem I and II, Organic Chem I and II and Physics I and II, but not necessarily all of the associated labs (lecture and lab were separate courses at the college I attended). Maybe someone else has been in this same situation, but...is it necessary for to re-take labs, assuming they are offered separately in a post-bacc curriculum, if I already have A's in those courses? Correct me if I am wrong but my logic is that getting A's again for those labs would raise my total and science GPA by a very insignificant amount, and may only benefit me (again, only very insignificantly) if I wanted to apply to MD schools. Retaking them would be a waste of money if I wanted to target DO schools, as they seem to have grade replacement policies. Am I correct in my thinking? Would I be at any disadvantage by NOT taking those labs again? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The bigger concern is whether or not the schools you are interested in applying to will accept courses that are as of now over 7 years old. I would get a copy of the MSAR to find out if the schools you are interested in require coursework to be completed within a certain period of time.

If you are only targeting DO, I think you are ok without retaking labs.

Hi there,

I am a non-traditional student who is currently applying to post-bacc programs to improve mediocre grades I received in college seven years ago. I hope to retake Gen Chem I and II, Organic Chem I and II and Physics I and II, but not necessarily all of the associated labs (lecture and lab were separate courses at the college I attended). Maybe someone else has been in this same situation, but...is it necessary for to re-take labs, assuming they are offered separately in a post-bacc curriculum, if I already have A's in those courses? Correct me if I am wrong but my logic is that getting A's again for those labs would raise my total and science GPA by a very insignificant amount, and may only benefit me (again, only very insignificantly) if I wanted to apply to MD schools. Retaking them would be a waste of money if I wanted to target DO schools, as they seem to have grade replacement policies. Am I correct in my thinking? Would I be at any disadvantage by NOT taking those labs again? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks!

The bigger concern is whether or not the schools you are interested in applying to will accept courses that are as of now over 7 years old. I would get a copy of the MSAR to find out if the schools you are interested in require coursework to be completed within a certain period of time.

If you are only targeting DO, I think you are ok without retaking labs.

That's a very good point - thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the midst of my bad-Gpa-comeback and I've been debating this very thing. I really, really wanted to avoid things like physics and gen Chem lab (since I've already taken both 10ish years ago and did alright -- As and Bs) but alas, with how far back that was and with the rest of my grades being garbage, I've decided to just bite the bullet and retake the labs!

I'm in the midst of my bad-Gpa-comeback and I've been debating this very thing. I really, really wanted to avoid things like physics and gen Chem lab (since I've already taken both 10ish years ago and did alright -- As and Bs) but alas, with how far back that was and with the rest of my grades being garbage, I've decided to just bite the bullet and retake the labs!

I am in exactly your position. From a "well, maybe these courses will help boost my GPA" perspective, there is little benefit. Retaking all six labs (gen chem I and II; physics I and II; and organic chem I and II) will only bump up my overall GPA by 0.022 and my science GPA by 0.039, at best. If not for the length of time that has passed, I would likely not re-take them. It just does not seem worth the extra cost or time! But I will investigate further into medical school pre-requisite policies and hopefully come back with what I can find :)

Another thing you need to consider is whether the undergrad establishment will let you take just the lecture portion of the course. When I did my post-back, the university made me take the lab again even though I did well the first time around.