Retake MCAT for md/phd?

Started by redpetal6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redpetal6

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently got my MCAT score back and received a 514 (130/125/129/130). I was hoping to apply to mid-tier md/phd programs next cycle and I am nervous that my score (specifically the cars) will keep me out of most programs. I have over a 3.9, should have 3 coauthor publications by the time I apply (over 4000 hours), currently work part time as an EMT, and participate in some other fairly common premed extracurriculars. I am fearful that my MCAT will be the only thing to keep me out of these programs and I was wondering whether it would be worth the retake? I got over 520 on all of my AAMC practice tests and I was hoping that my cars was just a fluke, but I really don't want to go through the process again if I don't have to. Thanks!
 
It is not a bad score for MD/PhD... choosing to work part-time as an EMT rather than diving into a Research Lab is more damaging than your CARS. With 4000 hours, you know what research is about, why not spending more time in the lab? A MD/PhD application should read as someone who can't be away from doing research. Perhaps, I am overly sensitive reading applications at the end of the cycle to choose the best ones for the last few slots.
 
In the scenario above, do you consider financial stability as a valid reason to work part time vs spending all time in lab? Do you as a program director pay attention to the socioeconomic status marked on AMCAS when looking at such applicants?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not being in a research lab would be a killer for our program. We are sensitive to financial stresses, but would give that interview slot to someone who was earning $ as a research tech.