Retake MCAT for md/phd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redpetal6

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my MCAT score back and received a 514 (130/125/129/130). I was hoping to apply to mid-tier md/phd programs next cycle and I am nervous that my score (specifically the cars) will keep me out of most programs. I have over a 3.9, should have 3 coauthor publications by the time I apply (over 4000 hours), currently work part time as an EMT, and participate in some other fairly common premed extracurriculars. I am fearful that my MCAT will be the only thing to keep me out of these programs and I was wondering whether it would be worth the retake? I got over 520 on all of my AAMC practice tests and I was hoping that my cars was just a fluke, but I really don't want to go through the process again if I don't have to. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is not a bad score for MD/PhD... choosing to work part-time as an EMT rather than diving into a Research Lab is more damaging than your CARS. With 4000 hours, you know what research is about, why not spending more time in the lab? A MD/PhD application should read as someone who can't be away from doing research. Perhaps, I am overly sensitive reading applications at the end of the cycle to choose the best ones for the last few slots.

Reactions: 2 users
In the scenario above, do you consider financial stability as a valid reason to work part time vs spending all time in lab? Do you as a program director pay attention to the socioeconomic status marked on AMCAS when looking at such applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not being in a research lab would be a killer for our program. We are sensitive to financial stresses, but would give that interview slot to someone who was earning $ as a research tech.